Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own my 2010 R/T Classic (6 speed) for a total of 2 days now, but have already been thinking about some easy performance mods.

I've thought a K&N drop-in filter would be an easy one to start with. I've always put them in my other cars, but lately I'm reading that they really have no impact on performance. You guys are the experts, what do you think? With no other mods, is it going to make a difference?

My second "easy" mod I'm thinking might be a power tuner. What is the best?

I'm sure I can find these answers somewhere, but searches didn't seem to turn up much so forgive me if these questions have been asked a thousand times.

·
Registered
6 Posts
The K&N filter was the first thing i got for my SE. Noticed an improvement in gas mileage by just about 1 mpg on the highway, no real power gain or anything though.

·
Registered
864 Posts
It's definitely better than stock especially with a tune. I used one and then did the 93oct cai tune. Recently took it off and really noticed the difference. No intake or filter is gonna make a huge difference alone but it is still a pretty cheap little gain.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cool. What is this "CAI tune". I'm thinking of getting a programmer, but trying to figure out which is best. Is this something you can do without a programmer?

·
Registered
402 Posts
As for the tuner, go with Diablosport. They seem to be the best and they are a sponsor here so you can easy support. btw, there has been many claims that CAI isn't much better than the drop-in filter, so that is a good way to go. It will give you a few more ponies, nothing extreme

·
Registered
864 Posts
Yup tuners have preset tunes for certain octane and stuff. Like the 93 oct cai tune, tunes for having a cai on and using 93 gas. They're decently easy to get the Hang of. Defintely need it for modding

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Excellent. Thanks, I'm going to pick one up.

I love CAI's, I had one in my GTI and it gave the car great power boost and an awesome turbo whoosh. Looking at this airbox, though, I'm not seeing that a CAI would have much improvement because the stock airbox seems to draw air from a pretty good spot. So, that is why I was leaning towards a K&N for now until I decide to do anything more radical.

I have to look into one of these tuners. Sounds like they are more advanced these days with programs than ones from long ago where you had to fiddle with specific settings.

Question on tuners, is there a good post on here that describes everything I'd want to know as a tuning noob? I have some general questions, like "what happens if I royally f things up and want to restore it to stock settings" but I'm sure those answers are out there. I just have not had much luck searching, probably because I have no idea what I'm asking about. Thanks for helping out a noob. ;)

·
Registered
864 Posts
The predator tuner automatically saves your cars stock tune so it'll always be there. As far as finding out info you just gotta ask man or do a search but that can be time consuming. Everybodys here to help though, there are some very knowledgeable dudes here.

·
Premium Member
3,546 Posts
The predator tuner automatically saves your cars stock tune so it'll always be there. As far as finding out info you just gotta ask man or do a search but that can be time consuming. Everybodys here to help though, there are some very knowledgeable dudes here.
There are some people on here that say things that might make you mad but just ignore their comments and get the info you want from your threads.

·
Registered
4,964 Posts
Challengertalk.com DiabloSport Predator Sticky has the discussions regarding the predator.
http://www.challengertalk.com/forums/f18/diablo-predator-u7135-information-source-40286/

A K&N drop-in filter and a stock SRT8 airbox (also the same airbox as the R/T 6-speed so for you, just get a K&N drop-in filter) is one of the recommended/cheapest modifications for simple bolt-ons and performance improvement. Not only does the K&N allow more air flow, but it also is beneficial because you can reuse the filter when maintenancing it.

You can go the short air intake route that'll increase your top-end MPH but overall, you won't see too much improvement with just a CAI.

As mentioned, you will see the most intial gain from a Predator tuner and the 91CAI tune. You'll gain a bit more with a custom CMR tune (DCXDepot, DiabloSport) or a custom dyno tune.

·
Premium Member
3,546 Posts
Challengertalk.com DiabloSport Predator Sticky has the discussions regarding the predator.
http://www.challengertalk.com/forums/f18/diablo-predator-u7135-information-source-40286/

A K&N drop-in filter and a stock SRT8 airbox (also the same airbox as the R/T 6-speed so for you, just get a K&N drop-in filter) is one of the recommended/cheapest modifications for simple bolt-ons and performance improvement. Not only does the K&N allow more air flow, but it also is beneficial because you can reuse the filter when maintenancing it.

You can go the short air intake route that'll increase your top-end MPH but overall, you won't see too much improvement with just a CAI.

As mentioned, you will see the most intial gain from a Predator tuner and the 91CAI tune. You'll gain a bit more with a custom CMR tune (DCXDepot, DiabloSport) or a custom dyno tune.
Is the airbox on an auto RT differant than a 6 speed?

·
Registered
4,964 Posts
Is the airbox on an auto RT differant than a 6 speed?
R/T Auto 5.7. It has an extra extension on the air box.

And for reference, 6.1L air box / tube

·
Registered
389 Posts
I own my 2010 R/T Classic (6 speed) for a total of 2 days now, but have already been thinking about some easy performance mods.

I've thought a K&N drop-in filter would be an easy one to start with. I've always put them in my other cars, but lately I'm reading that they really have no impact on performance. You guys are the experts, what do you think? With no other mods, is it going to make a difference?

My second "easy" mod I'm thinking might be a power tuner. What is the best?

I'm sure I can find these answers somewhere, but searches didn't seem to turn up much so forgive me if these questions have been asked a thousand times.
K&N is a good move - about the same as a CAI, but costs a whole lot less. I use K&Ns in all my cars (except my SRT8 - got a CAI courtesy of the "MOPAR Bucks" incentive - otherwise I would have went with a K&N).

For tuners, the DiabloSport Predator is widely used by Challenger owners. I have a Predator tune on my SRT8 - huge improvement over stock. If you use the "canned tunes" - those the programmer comes with, you'll essentially optimize your stock performance and achieve very noticeable improvements. You can do custom tunes as well for specific applications and/or mods, datalog, clear codes, etc. Its also very easy to use - simple directions - and you can go back to stock anytime you want. Check out the Predator threads on this forum, also check out the DiabloSport website for more info. For the money, there's arguably no single mod that will enhance your stock performance more than a Predator.

·
Registered
4,964 Posts
Is there any gain beteween the 6.1 air box and the RT auto box i guess is what I'm asking?
There's not much difference between the two, other than noise. The main purpose of that extension (also known as a silencer) is for the MDS 8-4 cylinders. The materials are different, Auto (plastic), Manual (rubber compound).

The filter by itself doesn't give you much of gain; just frees up the air flow a bit. The real gain comes from adding fuel to wide open throttle with the predator and part throttle adjustment that the tune does. DiabloSport forums have more on this.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
There's not much difference between the two, other than noise. The main purpose of that extension (also known as a silencer) is for the MDS 8-4 cylinders. The materials are different, Auto (plastic), Manual (rubber compound).

The filter by itself doesn't give you much of gain; just frees up the air flow a bit. The real gain comes from adding fuel to wide open throttle with the predator and part throttle adjustment that the tune does. DiabloSport forums have more on this.
Correct me if I'm wrong but with a tune I think the AF is leaned out a little more at WOT then stock form.

I'm also suspicious of the K&N flowing more, I would like to see flow charts on the same vehicle filters. The K&N air filter I've seen has less material area around the edges (more rubber, less cotton surface) then the stock paper filter. Might flow better cotton vs. paper but surface area also plays a factor in flow rates. Don't think the K&N filters pleats are as deep either. Not sure about pleat count, will have to look.

If any one has flow ratings for stock and K&N replacement for our Challengers would be good to see.

·
Registered
772 Posts
It's always a good idea to make a copy of your stock tune and save it to your computer.

·
Registered
772 Posts

The 6.1 Airbox and tube flow better than the R/T a lot of people put the 6.1 setup on their R/T. There was also a thread on here a while back where did a comparison between the 6.1 airbox with the drop in filter and the 91 tune and a CAI with the 91 CAI tune and he had a better 1/4 mi time with the 6.1 airbox and the drop in.

·
Registered
4,964 Posts
BWoody Performance Products

Flowbench results:
*Results as follows at 28" of water:
*oem intake w/oem filter = 807.3 cfm
*oem intake w/K&N drop in = 819.9 cfm
*4" BWoody Velocity Plus Short ram intake = 1209.9 cfm
*Flowbench results showed a whopping 402.6 cfm increase over the OEM airbox!!

Most of your gain will come from the DiabloSport tune or custom CMR tune. The primary thing about the K&N filter is that you can maintenance and reuse it (also oiled vs non-oiled filter).

With higher flow air filters, you can adjust your WOT fuel and timing for the additional airflow (Predator) thus making more power.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts