Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed the K&N Filter in my SRT yesterday and while doing so discovered something somewhat disturbing - Oil in my intake tube!

Here are some pics of the installed product and the oil discovery. Any thoughts on this would be appreciated. I plan to get a Catch Can on the car (if "someone" EVER gets the GWE ones in - *hint-hint*).

I was wondering if others have seen this as well, or if this is "normal" for this to occur until breakin happens? I am not even sure how old the oil is, but I only have around 960 miles on the car.

I also realize that I just installed an "oiled" filter, but this pic was taken before I ever ran the car with the K&N installed. What you see in the tube accumulated while using the OEM paper element.

Tubing Oil

K&N Installed

K&N Installed 2

JFF:D

·
Registered
322 Posts
with that being where it is,and the little amount of it i would say just exess from assembly,hint,hint, get this guy a gwe catch can.

·
Super Moderator
17,321 Posts
One of the ways this could happen is dumping a lot of oil through the oil filler tube on the engine - since the fresh / filtered air hose runs from the filler tube to the airbox, its possible.

I recall reading older threads where this appeared to be the case where some oil ran down the breather hose into the airbox (topping off oil or oil change) and subsequently got sucked through the air intake tube.

Taking care to fill the oil at a normal rate will preclude that from happening - it may have occurred at the plant or at the dealer (during the PDI inspection). It won't happen during normal operation of having oil in the air intake tube/throttle body.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the feedback everyone. I have decided to completely clean the inside of the tube and I will check it again in a couple weeks and just keep my eye on it. Probably not a big deal and hopefully does not reoccur.

·
Registered
8 Posts
The K N air filters are good aslong as they are kept clean and not over oiled.
I have seen to many at work that have never been cleaned properly or so over oiled the intake tube is wet from filter box all the way to the throttle body .

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The K N air filters are good aslong as they are kept clean and not over oiled.
I have seen to many at work that have never been cleaned properly or so over oiled the intake tube is wet from filter box all the way to the throttle body .

The picture was taken BEFORE the K&N was ever installed, let alone used with the car running. Whatever oil was present in the tube was got there while using the stock paper element.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
***UPDATE***

Well, I decided to pull the intake tube and thoroughly clean it so that should further oil occur I would know.

BUT...I discovered that the stuff wasn't oil after all!

It was more like, for lack of a better descriptor, "pine tree sap". I know it can't possibly be that, but seriously - the stuff was VERY sticky and tacky and was all over the inside and even on the outside of the intake tube.

I am still not sure what it was or how it got there, but it is ALL gone now. :D It appears it came that way from the factory so something in their processes must have made the mess, I assume. After I pulled the tube, and gave the thing a complete scrubbing with some soapy water, etc. and dried it out in the sun (95 degrees today!) and put everything back together.

I feel much better now. LOL!

·
Registered
659 Posts
The simple solution is this...when you get your new K and N 33-2460 take a paper towel or clean rag and wipe off the excess oil that is on the rubber gasket surrounding the filter element on both sides.....then no problem if one even existed to being with......the difference in the intake side and responsiveness is excellent. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
401 Posts
Same Deal

I just cleaned my TB and intake tube today. Installed K&N drop in about 4,000 mi. ago. My intake looked exactly like the pic posted. I agree with samlab. In the future I will wipe off any excess oil on the filter.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I just cleaned my TB and intake tube today. Installed K&N drop in about 4,000 mi. ago. My intake looked exactly like the pic posted. I agree with samlab. In the future I will wipe off any excess oil on the filter.
You and samlab aren't very good at reading comprehension are you?

I said that the pics were posted BEFORE - YES BEFORE - I ever installed the K&N filter! That would mean that whatever was present in the intake tube was there while the car was running on a PAPER FILTER - not an oiled one! The "oiled' K&N filter had NOTHING to do with creating what was present in my intake tube. Nothing.

The oiled one was installed AFTER I discovered the "sap" in the intake tube - not before.

Wow.

·
Registered
401 Posts
I read and understood your first post. I have no explanation for that problem. Sounds very odd. The oil, tree sap, maple syrup or whatever was in my intake may have been from factory filter because I failed to check it before putting in the drop in. I simply think that its a good idea to wipe off the excess oil from the filters. Not saying you did anything wrong my friend.

·
Premium Member
456 Posts
Never mind him, he is still upset about not installing a catch can like the rest of us did to avoid this problem in the first place!:fight:
I guess waiting for a GREEN catch can is worth it huh:scratchhead:

I read and understood your first post. I have no explanation for that problem. Sounds very odd. The oil, tree sap, maple syrup or whatever was in my intake may have been from factory filter because I failed to check it before putting in the drop in. I simply think that its a good idea to wipe off the excess oil from the filters. Not saying you did anything wrong my friend.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Never mind him, he is still upset about not installing a catch can like the rest of us did to avoid this problem in the first place!:fight:
I guess waiting for a GREEN catch can is worth it huh:scratchhead:

Does the PCV route into the intake tube? I thought it went into the intake manifold.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts