Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
I started a detailing business a couple of weeks ago and after ceramic coating a couple of cars, it was time to do my car. I have a Crystal Granite Gray 2015 Challenger SRT. It had a coating on it that was nearing the end of it`s life so I decided to go all out and bring the car to the next level so I could use it as a marketing tool. The process started with a three stage compound/polish followed by 2 coats of Kamikaze Miyabi glass coating and 1 coat of Kamikaze ISM glass coating.

The goal I`m going after is paint clarity. I won`t be sanding the orange peel but I will be attempting to minimize the texture of the paint so the reflection is clear, clean, and deep.

Here`s what the car looked like before starting. Not bad but I'm looking to kick it up a notch or two.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
After the typical wash and decontamination processes I started buffing with the Rupes 5 inch Big Foot MKII and a Meguiar`s microfiber cutting pad using Sonax CutMax to remove the old coating and take care of any paint defects. Next, I polished the car using the Rupes yellow foam pad and Sonax Perfect Finish polish. The final polish was done using the Rupes white pad and Gyeon Primer.

Here`s the results:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I hadn`t noticed how the stripes had started to fade until the tape was removed after polishing. The tape also left some residue on the stripes. To clean and rejuvenate them I cleaned them with a 3 inch Rupes yellow pad (no polish on it) and alcohol, then went over them with the white pad and Gyeon Primer. In the first photo, the stripe on the right has been rejuvenated and in the second photo, both stripes are like new again.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I decided to update the look. I removed the "SRT Motorsports" logo from the rear fenders and I removed the red pin stripping around the main stripes. A black 1/8th inch stripe was added to the outside only of the main stripes. The 1st photo is original and the 2nd photo is the updated look.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Two coats of Kamikaze Miyabi was installed and allowed to sit overnight. Here`s a couple of teaser pics taken after the two coats of coating were installed. The final coat of glass coating was installed the next day.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The final coat (Kamikaze ISM) has been applied the next morning. Here`s some photos and a walk around video.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The glass, trim, and bits and pieces under the hood were coated. The car was put on jack stands and the wheels were removed. The wheel wells were degreased and cleaned then they were coated. The door jambs were polished and coated as well.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The first outing for the Challenger wearing the new glass coating was Cars and Coffee yesterday morning and it did very well. Lots of people asked if it had a special paint on it.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
After Cars and Coffee, I stopped by Ford Island and Pearl Harbor for some backdrop photos.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
did you get Kamikaze from over seas or a local us supplier? i have wanted to try that coat they sell that replaces the clear coat but have not been able to talk to anyone that has any experience with it or personal tesimonies

·
Registered
2015 SRT392 A8 in white pearl coat
1,370 Posts
I'm lucky if I wash mine once a month: part of why I bought a white Challenger. Ha, we sure live in different worlds.

But thanks for taking the time to post this. Your car is looking sweet.

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Thanks everyone. Doing this type of work is my passion.

did you get Kamikaze from over seas or a local us supplier? i have wanted to try that coat they sell that replaces the clear coat but have not been able to talk to anyone that has any experience with it or personal tesimonies
The exclusive US importer/distributor for Kamikaze products is Esoteric Car Care. The product you are looking for isn't listed on their site but you can contact them about it.

·
Registered
2015 SRT 392
3,138 Posts
If it was clarity and depth that you were looking for, you Definitely accomplished that! Great job on the detailing and coating. :thumbsup:

How long did it take you to do that?

Nice choice on the black stripes next to the carbon fiber ones too. Although I did like the red ones on your SRT because they matched the wheel stripes. The carbon and black have enough contrast on them to play off of each other though.

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
If it was clarity and depth that you were looking for, you Definitely accomplished that! Great job on the detailing and coating. :thumbsup:

How long did it take you to do that?

Nice choice on the black stripes next to the carbon fiber ones too. Although I did like the red ones on your SRT because they matched the wheel stripes. The carbon and black have enough contrast on them to play off of each other though.
Thanks Freddy. It's been a while. Hope you and your family are doing well.

Including the door jambs and wheel wells, I have about 32 hours into it.

Yeah, I wasn't sure I'd like the change and at first I didn't. But, it has grown on me and I'm really starting to like the subdued look. In the very near future, the wheels are coming off and getting re-powder coated a satin black.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
20,634 Posts
Looks great Kirk :thumbsup:

A Guy

·
Registered
2015 SRT 392
3,138 Posts
Thanks Freddy. It's been a while. Hope you and your family are doing well.

Including the door jambs and wheel wells, I have about 32 hours into it.

Yeah, I wasn't sure I'd like the change and at first I didn't. But, it has grown on me and I'm really starting to like the subdued look. In the very near future, the wheels are coming off and getting re-powder coated a satin black.

You're Welcome! :cheers:
Yes Sir, it's been a little while. We're doing well, Thanks for the well wishes. I hope that everything is good with you and your family too!

32 hours is alot of time to detail, but the results speak for themselves and that'll be the best advertisement for a new business that you could get. If a picture is worth a thousand words, then that Beauty of yours will be worth a novel!

That GCM beauty of yours is quite a bit understated just by changing the stripes from red to black. It's funny how something that seems so small can make such a difference. Either way, she looks Gorgeous!

Are you going to put the red stripes on your wheels once they are satin? I Really like the red on them because it pulls from the brake calipers and kind of ties them in and just looks cool.

Just my opinion though.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts