Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I apologize, as my google-fu is turning up mixed results, and never real got at a few core questions.

I’ve got a 2.8LC on order right now, and looking at the KB throttle body. I looked around the forum, but couldn’t find feedback on anyone that had one with a Scat or 392/A8 that had posted on it, and hoped to get a couple of questions out there.

I know it makes more power, but to the heart of it-

1) How did it drive?
2) Did the canned 2.8 tune work with it (I know it’s not the brightest question, but... don’t know what I don’t know)
3) If not, did you have to have it re-tuned?
4) Did Kenne Bell send a new tune with it, or was it third-party only?
5) If it was, who has an email tune for it that you’ve used with it that you’d recommend?

I’m buying a trinity 2 to log on for the blower regardless so I can data log, upload another tune if need be, and not have to wire pillar gauges. So, I don’t know if that is going’s to require help from someone working with that software, but it’s a consideration if it comes to it.

I guess what I’m getting at is, if you have one was it worth it to install, and at what point?
Already going for the 21v BAP, alky control is going on with the blower, and trying to get the rest of he bottom forged at either the same time, or keep the boost low until next winter. Under low overall boost (6 lbs or so,) has anyone run the 148 mm, and what was the result if so? In going up to 8-12 lbs, what was the result?

Task and purpose is to have a little fun, get a second pulley, and have the lower level 6ish lbs for daily driving while having another pulley for drag use after the pistons and rods get done. I’d like the TB to play a part in that (I think,) but willing to listen to sense and experience if I’m going down the rabbit hole in the wrong direction.

I have no problem with the concept of an email tune, but will be heading back to the east coast/northeast here after a bit, and prefer to work with someone face to face there at some point. I don’t think I can lose out on that one, as I’ll either be in North Carolina (with a number of great shops within six hours) or New England (and within a day of some other awesome vendors.)

Unfortunately, right now I’m in Alaska. Great for fishing, not so great for shipping :laugh2:
So with that, if I’m looking at paying a shipping premium on top of a premium part that may or may not be useful until I get some other mods done, I’d rather poll the braintrust first!

What say those in the know? Nobody has really posted on this for a few years- any misgivings after some time has passed? Advice? Order of movement on fuel and injectors on installing this before, with, or after?

·
Registered
234 Posts
KB do not have a tune file for my car. (I have just paid for a 148mm throttle body then found out)
I think it was reasonable value for money @$799 with a tune file but not without (putting an apprx $400/$500 value in tune) so I have cancelled the order and awaiting refund.
They advised contact Tim Barth regarding doing a tune for it.
Instead I am going to use the money to install Wideband/Meth Inj/ and pulley that gets me in the 12/14psi range and custom tune with Johan for a drag tune/setup. (This total cost will be less than throttle body + custom tune and nett a higher result powerwise.
I cannot fault KB's supplied tune (good to 9psi on 93oct) and will likely continue to use it as my everyday street tune.
I suggest contacting Rick @ KB and asking if they have a tune file for your specific car, if they have you will still need a custom tune for +9psi from another tuner.
Guts of it for me is I was not prepared to pay $799 +$165 shipping to New-Zealand just for a throttle body by itself.
Hope that helps....
Phil.

·
Registered
185 Posts
You definitely have to get a new tune or your current tune adjusted for the additional air flow from the bigger throttle body. I would recommend Brent at Dtp racing or Johan aka Diablotoona for the email tune

1 - 3 of 3 Posts