Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About to begin install in next day or so... I have been reading install threads and threads related to KB for weeks after deciding to go the KB route and anticipating the kits arrival. The install is going to be delayed a little as I am in New-Zealand and I have been caught out not knowing there was not a new crank pulley bolt included in the kit. I was aware about spark plugs so ordered them to arrive around same time as kit but I will have to wait now 10-12 days at least for bolt to arrive (one of the joys of living in New-Zealands relative isolation)
Anyway I have gone off topic,
The discussions about the apparent need to run an additional catch can in conjunction with KB's separator/PCV/catch can got my attention and I thought no worries, I already run a catch can on the OEM PCV set up and a matching one on the fresh air side so I was thinking I would continue to utilise these with the KB install.
Then while reading install instructions and supplements (like you are supposed to pre-install!) I see Supplement 1.01
It basically states (2011-up) "We have designed a system that will allow trapped oil to drain back into the crankcase rather than fill a catch can. Catch cans are undesirable as they are messy and require constant draining" ect-ect
So finally the question...what is the experience with this new system so far...would it still benefit from a catch can between it and supercharger?
Although everyone reports no oil in clean air intake side (oil filler to intake tube) Opinions on continuing to use one there as well?
As always opinions/experience/advice appreciated...

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
Looking forward to seeing your progress. I had a KB on my RAM years ago. I put about 60k on it before I sold it and built a stroker. Absolutely flawless. One thing I will add for your benefit, FOLLOW INSTRUCTIONS TO THE LETTER! At least that was my experience. KB is very thorough in their instructions. My advice would be to install as instructed, then revisit the situation after all is running well. Keep us updated.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
887 Posts
Hi Phil,

I've heard KB redesigned their oil separator, but have yet to see any pictures or information on the new one. If you could post some pictures, that would be great.

I would definetely run your 2nd catch can in-line with the KB supplied one. NO catch can collects all the oil. Install it after KB's if possible and you can tell us just how well the new redesign KB one works.

I also installed a catch can on my fresh air side and I also have never had any oil in it. As long as you have room for it with the new install, it won't hurt to leave it there.

A point to know: I would certainly think KB has fixed this since they built my blower in 2011. But, I don't know that, so . . .
On my KB intake manifold/intercooler, the oil fill opening is very large. However, the hole in the intake manifold that that oil goes through to get to the crankcase is very, very, very tiny. I would say around 1/8 - 3/16". And on the older units like mine, when we add oil, that tiny, tiny hole restricts the oil flow terribly when you add oil. Very close to the bottom of that oil fill cup is the hose connector for the fresh air hose that goes to the air intake tube. If you add oil at what you would consider a "normal/reasonable" rate: The oil backs-up, goes down that fresh air hose, down your intake tube, and out your air filter. So, on models in the 2011 era, we have to add oil painfully slow. And we have to watch all the time we're adding to make sure we don't let the oil back-up as high as that hose. I finally found a very tiny funnel that only passes enough oil at one time so the oil doesn't back-up in the oil fill port. However, again, I have to think that KB would have resolved this problem by now by simply making that intake manifold hole larger. But, I don't know if that's the case.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi Rick,
Thanks for the reply, your install thread is a great read (a shame the pictures do not show now) and it was your threads about KB's oil separator/catch can issue that I have read as well. Also I was aware of the oil filling neck issue, I think you either started or had input in that one as well so you have already been a great help...Thanks.
I will try to get a picture of the new separator.. there is now a right angle upward facing fitting that comes out from lower manifold and the separator screws directly onto it (collected oil drains out bottom of separator through this fitting which must be channelled back to crankcase) upper part of separator has usual hose attachment point for hose around to back side of intake behind throttle body. Anyway a picture is worth a thousand words so I will take one and hopefully get it to show on here.
Today is uninstall Johan tune return to stock tune, position car for install off back wall of garage enough to work in trunk and trip to town to buy 2-3 tools on the required list that I currently do not own.
Thanks again for your input and your sharing your experience,
Phil.
Hi Phil,

I've heard KB redesigned their oil separator, but have yet to see any pictures or information on the new one. If you could post some pictures, that would be great.

I would definetely run your 2nd catch can in-line with the KB supplied one. NO catch can collects all the oil. Install it after KB's if possible and you can tell us just how well the new redesign KB one works.

I also installed a catch can on my fresh air side and I also have never had any oil in it. As long as you have room for it with the new install, it won't hurt to leave it there.

A point to know: I would certainly think KB has fixed this since they built my blower in 2011. But, I don't know that, so . . .
On my KB intake manifold/intercooler, the oil fill opening is very large. However, the hole in the intake manifold that that oil goes through to get to the crankcase is very, very, very tiny. I would say around 1/8 - 3/16". And on the older units like mine, when we add oil, that tiny, tiny hole restricts the oil flow terribly when you add oil. Very close to the bottom of that oil fill cup is the hose connector for the fresh air hose that goes to the air intake tube. If you add oil at what you would consider a "normal/reasonable" rate: The oil backs-up, goes down that fresh air hose, down your intake tube, and out your air filter. So, on models in the 2011 era, we have to add oil painfully slow. And we have to watch all the time we're adding to make sure we don't let the oil back-up as high as that hose. I finally found a very tiny funnel that only passes enough oil at one time so the oil doesn't back-up in the oil fill port. However, again, I have to think that KB would have resolved this problem by now by simply making that intake manifold hole larger. But, I don't know if that's the case.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK, attempt at photo of new separator set up. Also in photo oil fill entry hole (does it look any bigger than it used too?)

Attachments

·
Registered
887 Posts
Thanks for the kind words. I'm glad my threads helped.

I believe the bottom of my filler neck has the same size hole. The hole in the intake manifold that that filler neck hole lines-up with is the one that is/was very tiny.

There has to be more to that oil separator than just a big open space. It either has baffling or a mesh material in-between the 90* adapter hole on the bottom and the straight adapter in the photo. It is inside the "thick walls" of it. Can you see anything like that or are the insides to those thick walls sealed?

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi, My oil entry hole in manifold measures .420 inch, at least another advantage of a catch can on fresh air side is at least the oil from filling too fast ect will end up in catch can not the air tube and then run down into filter...looks like I will be finding a small spout funnel as well just to make sure.
Yes the walls of the separator are sealed/or solid and you can see nothing, it does feel very weighty/solid for its size and you could not be blamed for thinking the walls are solid, I cannot see any joints or where it is has been assembled as in two pieces threaded together. I gave it a couple of taps with screw driver blade and walls do not sound hollow. So for me its hands in air "I do not know how it works!" Its appearance to me is a well made/machined solid billet PCV valve holder. I believe Mr Norms made a set up to drain back as well for Kb units and I wonder how it works and or is it similar principal and KB adopted it? The only thing I can think of as a possibility is the thick walls offer enough temp variation for the oil and other evils to condense on them and simply run back down wall to then drain back into crankcase? Hopefully someone with more engineering snouse than me will get a look at one and work it out!
I will as you suggest still run a catch can as well to see how well it works. Phil.
Hopefully someone will know/explain.
Thanks for the kind words. I'm glad my threads helped.
I believe the bottom of my filler neck has the same size hole. The hole in the intake manifold that that filler neck hole lines-up with is the one that is/was very tiny.

There has to be more to that oil separator than just a big open space. It either has baffling or a mesh material in-between the 90* adapter hole on the bottom and the straight adapter in the photo. It is inside the "thick walls" of it. Can you see anything like that or are the insides to those thick walls sealed?

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Hi,
Bit of an update to this.
In the barbed fitting that screws into separator that the hose slips over to go to intake manifold behind throttle body there is a extremely fine screen.....which is from the limited info on Mr Norms version what they used to create separation of oil/contaminates as well.
So this does seem to be an adaption of Mr Norms idea.
Also the new info on installing separator tells you to put it on after lower manifold is installed, this would be fine for a manual car but the tube (auto trans?) that has dealer use only written on the cap does not allow you to install the separator as they show. (The barbed fitting does not clear the tube so you cannot wind the separator onto its fitting)
Easy answer is install on lower manifold before installing lower manifold onto motor.... I did not want to remove my lower manifold after painstakingly doing the gasket beads/leave for 4hrs process and also risk damaging the gaskets so I removed the barbed fitting (this is when I got to see the fine screen in it!) The screen position must be somewhat critical as there is a check this slot is horizontal warning in install even though it is pre-installed, anyway I marked its position then removed it which allowed me to screw the separator into its correct position/orientation then re-installed barb fitting and keep moving forward...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts