Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
As you may have noticed by the many questions I am asking at the moment I am underway with the install.
This thread is to share my observations so far with my install. (currently up to crank pulley pinning page 100 of 164 and it looks good with lower manifold and pretty red anodised fuel rails that match my catch cans perfectly, it also contrasts the plum crazy to perfection) Can you tell I am pleased so far!
Taking into account the many small variations the car manufacturer potentially makes from year to year the install instructions have been good.
I am not going to re-do what has been covered in other great threads just state what I done at some points and talk about a couple of small issues I have had so far.
I am going to be stalled with my install soon as I have no crank pulley bolt and have to wait for one ex USA.
I think KB's excuse that they do not supply a new one with the kit is a little weak...They say your car could have one of 2 types and they do not know which one your car has or needs... ( You get this information on a supplement sheet with the instruction manual)
They have your VIN number at order time before and while they assemble the kit surely they can find out? In my case 2014 R/T model which they know the car is there is only the one part number available and it is about US$8.00. Had I known one was not included or that I needed to purchase I could of ordered it weeks ago like I did the spark plugs required. At the very least I think they should be more pro-active with letting you know you will need one and have expressed this to them.
What I did different so far right or wrong,
(1) Brake booster hose (comment about grip of small gorilla to remove from brake booster ect in instructions) I looked at that and thought it gets cut anyway so I just cut it at back of manifold left it attached to booster then trimmed to required length in place.
(2) Evap line removal (comment if you break barb you will cry in instructions) I sliced hose length ways it with craft knife and it came of very easy, I will never need it again so no risk of crying for me.
(3) There is a inner plastic guard piece on my car where you cut hole for intake tube, no pictures or references to it in instructions so may be only on 2014 cars ( I have not decided to trim it to fit or not re-install it as it seems it is not there on 2011/12/13 models?)
(4) The template supplied for cutting inner guard for intake was nothing like the shape shown in the instructions, luckily the images in the instructions were clear enough to reference enough points to get it marked out.
(5) In instructions talks about short Map sensor pigtail being a pain to get off and back on...dodge must have got more generous by 2014 as mine was heaps longer than shown in instruction images and no problem at all.
(6) New oil separator system instructions show install after lower manifold is on engine, if auto needs to be done on bench first otherwise tube stops you being able to wind it into place.
(7) Couple of small items missing from my kit that shows in instructions should be there...washers x4 for fuel rail bolts....(no biggy had some the right size on hand) Hose clamps for EVAP/PCV/Brake booster connections no where to be seen. (again not a biggy but would be 1hr round trip to source if I needed them right now.
(8) The hose that goes from passenger side heat exchanger fitting to the pump right angle connection needs to be about 6 inchs longer, I cannot get enough slack for it to lay how they show in pictures and I am concerned the back of the blower will hang up on it as it is at the moment. Maybe they just cut mine shorter than they were supposed to be? I am going to buy a joiner and 6 inch section of hose and extend it so sits nicer.
Like many others have stated I enjoyed the comic relief in the instructions.
As already stated considering the wide range of vehicles/model/years they have done well.
Anyway that's it for now, I will be looking to install boost pump and hopefully find some other bits and pieces to do while waiting for crank pulley bolt to arrive!
PS best bit of today was doing fuel leak check and finding none!! Always a good sign.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The wait for the crank pulley bolt is going to test my patience.
The install is almost complete, when bolt arrives it will be - install bolt - fit belt - fit fans - fire up and burp coolant - intercooler burp and check flow as well - leak check - and if all is well reinstall front clip and go time.
Only a couple of more things noticed.
Head scratch moment when installing snout brace. They say remove 3 bolts (and store away not used again) and show in image bolts position .. then when brace is on they say install new bolts (4) but image shows 3 positions and which length to put where, the kicker is they gave me 4 bolts in bag so scratch head look for another bolt hole .... there is not one!
When studying up about Kenne Bells kits pre-order I remember a couple of complaints about rust on inside of air intake tube.
My tube appears to be alloy and if it is not it is coated inside and out so no rust to worry about in there now.
The wait begins...

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Update...Crank pulley bolt arrived and installed...thought I was on the home straight now. Installed belt, re-installed fan ect...
Install tune time... Connect supplied tune loading tool....Turn on key... B0 error contact tech support message...Try several more times same result...Ring Kenne Bell tech support....Ummm tuner can remember this happing once before but cannot remember fix...will have to contact tune loading tool supplier...Tune load supplier has closed for weekend by 5 minutes so will be no answer until Monday...which is our Tuesday (I am in NZ)
So now a 3 day wait just to hopefully find out a the fix....Can you tell I am frustrated now!!
Thought I was 15 minutes away from start up...

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Out of interest I hooked Diablo I-tune up to car (the tune was restored to stock before install started) and it is communicating fine with the PCM.
Read codes ... it shows PO129 barometric pressure out of range which makes sense with the OEM tune seeing the new MAP sensor info and the SC tune calibration will correct that.
So for whatever reason the KB supplied tuner does not want to communicate with the PCM hopefully answer is simple and does not require waiting for new part to be sent from States..... creating another 2 week wait.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
While looking around trying to find what code the loader is saying means I have found another bit of conflicting info.
If I am correct and the loader is a Hypertech max energy then Hypertech say do not install the tune with a battery charger connected to car yet Kenne Bell make a big deal in their instructions that you should have a battery charger on and locked @20amps. Do not proceed otherwise! ect.
I hate conflicting info! This raises yet another question to answer.
Back to current issue first.
Code tuner is throwing is B0 (I assume this is B Zero as 0 has slash through it). As soon as you turn key on no codes reading or anything...just error code B0 and contact tech support message. I cannot find any reference to what it means searching net so far.
I will be annoyed if it is just an update tuner software, the lack of available info is terrible.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ran tuner update software, it did update to the latest firmware so got my hopes up a little.
But when I tried installing tune still same code.
Why could they (Hypertech) not just have a code/error list available on their site so you could at least get some idea of whats going on...even if it just said error/code B0 is blah-blah Please contact tech for further support.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Hi Phil,

With regard to the battery charger: They just want t make sure you don't have a case of a battery voltage drop while you're loading a tune.
They realize that:
* your battery may be on the old side to begin with
* your battery might have been sitting for quite awhile while you're doing this install
* people might not have disconnected their battery when they were supposed to, had the door open and the lights on, and be just about dead.

Again, you never want to have the battery voltage be low, or go low, while loading or modifying a tune. Also, loading the tune in the PCM doesn't put a huge load on the battery. However, loading a tune turns the headlights on, which does put a huge drain on the battery.

So, to be safe, have your battery fully charged before you load a tune. And if you have a charger, even as small as a small Battery Tender, put it on it during the load.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi Rick,
Thanks again for your valued input.
What I had decided to do because I do not have a high output charger is, I have already had trickle charger on the battery after install and it is now fully charged. I have a spare battery from another vehicle not used in winter that is fully charged as well, I was going to link them together like you would to jump start a vehicle so I would have the capacity of both batteries to get through the tune process. Does this sound like a good option or do you think leaving the trickle charger hooked up as you suggested would be the better option or another option, do both batteries linked and trickle charger still on as well.
Thanks Phil.

·
Registered
887 Posts
One fully charged battery is probably fine. Two fully charged batteries connected in parallel is good insurance.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
While trying to patiently wait for Monday morning US time to roll around (already mid afternoon in NZ) to try to get some answers out of KB and or Hypertech I may have possibly found the problem.
I was thinking the tuner is acting like it does not even want to acknowledge my PCM so I checked the PCM Cal ID hand written on the tuner by KB.
It is the sequence of numbers I supplied them off my PCM except it ends AD instead of the supplied info which is AC
Makes me wonder have they loaded the incorrect PCM Cal ID to the tuner and this is the issue!
Another 12hrs or so to wait before I can start to expect some answers from them.......

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well it appears my diagnosis was correct.
KB,s tuner did not work Monday so no response.
Tues lunchtime no response...send email asking why and expectation that this would have some priority and I at least required some sort of update as to what was happening.
Receive reply, tuner out to lunch but has got fix sorted and will contact me when returns from lunch.
4pm email from tuner, instruction on wiping tuners memory and updating tuner via hypertech updater tool.
Instructed to email tuner back when this is done and then I will receive instructions on reloading KB,s tune file to tuner.
Email sent back to tuner 4.20 pm to let him know I have completed instructions successfully... ready for next step instructions.
5pm closing rolls past no reply...
Wednesday lunchtime no reply... send email to tuner...as per yesterdays email... ready for further install instruction/file ect.
Now coming up 2pm...no response.
The car has sat now for 7 days waiting to be able to load the tune to allow completion of install.
I think I have the right to be aggrieved now at how this is being handled... When 3pm rolls around I am going to ring and see if I can talk to someone in management, this experience is now tainted.
Human error is to be expected at times and issues like this are to be expected as well, it is how you deal with these issues that leaves an indelible impression on customer service and I feel KB's is lacking at this point!

·
Registered
693 Posts
Well it appears my diagnosis was correct.
KB,s tuner did not work Monday so no response.
Tues lunchtime no response...send email asking why and expectation that this would have some priority and I at least required some sort of update as to what was happening.
Receive reply, tuner out to lunch but has got fix sorted and will contact me when returns from lunch.
4pm email from tuner, instruction on wiping tuners memory and updating tuner via hypertech updater tool.
Instructed to email tuner back when this is done and then I will receive instructions on reloading KB,s tune file to tuner.
Email sent back to tuner 4.20 pm to let him know I have completed instructions successfully... ready for next step instructions.
5pm closing rolls past no reply...
Wednesday lunchtime no reply... send email to tuner...as per yesterdays email... ready for further install instruction/file ect.
Now coming up 2pm...no response.
The car has sat now for 7 days waiting to be able to load the tune to allow completion of install.
I think I have the right to be aggrieved now at how this is being handled... When 3pm rolls around I am going to ring and see if I can talk to someone in management, this experience is now tainted.
Human error is to be expected at times and issues like this are to be expected as well, it is how you deal with these issues that leaves an indelible impression on customer service and I feel KB's is lacking at this point!
Definitely lacking.

Experiences like these are all too prevalent in our society (and car community) today.
I have had several experiences like this over my modding of this car and it can be very frustrating, especially if your car is down.

Hang in there brother.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Result from latest call to KB, apologies which are appreciated.
More importantly action, within 10 minutes of call I now have file data uploaded to tuner and am back to where I was a week ago...

Need to have a coffee then out to car....fingers crossed....Step 443 Load tune to PCM...nervous all over again now.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Tune loaded fine, great to hear car start up. Came up to temp (I do not know how accurate the in car temp gauge is but it is sitting a good needle width or two lower than where I remember so after an extended idle period (30minutes) two needle widths under 1/2 on gauge holding steady no fans on...coolish day here so you can see a difference with the 180 thermostat), intercooler pump burped fine and flowing great, coolant appears to be good, no leaks...yeah....gave engine oil change after cool down. Another start up to running temp leak check to do then re-install front clip...starting to feel close now!
KB have offered me either T-Shirt or pulley as a sorry for the issue which I think is great and goes a long way towards having a happy customer again.
I will go for the pulley (9psi) versus 8psi supplied with the kit.
It was always my intention to run the 8psi pulley for a year (warranty period) then if short and long term knock was looking OK go to the 9psi (93oct minimum required) pulley.
Hopefully next update will be after test drive..... 2 days of rain predicted here so may be a while to wait yet....

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
13,644 Posts
Sounds promising, congrats on the progress :thumbsup:

A Guy

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
Ouch ... < AGuy

And we want a Kenne Bell ... Hmmm, maybe some thinking needs doing around here!

Just read this thread, gotta give ya credit, you've mucho more patients then I.

Luck!

-Enjoy
fh : )_~

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Oh shit...I hope that is not what you guys over there call a pulley...that won't change the boost level!
Sounds promising, congrats on the progress :thumbsup:

A Guy

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
All back together, only test drive to do now.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 47 Posts