Dodge Challenger Forum banner

21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
887 Posts
Congratulations Phil!

Make sure you are pointing straight the first bunch of times you hit the pedal hard, until you are used to how the car reacts.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
14,845 Posts
Looks great :thumbsup:

A Guy

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
Sweet ...

-Enjoy
fh : )_~

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Hi,
KB good for word on pulley...Arrived today.
So a few bumps along the way but very happy with the final outcome and KB,s attention to service and customer support overall.
Extremely happy with the finished install both looks wise and performance wise.
Now how long can I resist the temptation to install that smaller pulley....time will tell.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Hi,
Thought I would put a copy of the email I have just sent KB's tuner as I think as quick as we can be to criticise customer service or issues we should be just as quick to acknowledge satisfaction with a product/service.

Hi Ken,
I know how busy you are so no need to reply to this email.
The pulley arrived, thank you very much.
I have not done a lot of miles yet in the car but I am already really impressed with the drivability.
You do not have to do a lot of googling on the internet to find lots of "issues stories...on-off throttle response ect-ect with various tuners and kits"
It appears so far to me that KB's bypass valve setup and your tune is a great combination.
I have only done a couple of solid pulls to 80mph so far and cruised for 30 miles or so with a multiple stop - goes no boost and a few stop goes partial boost ect to get the feel of things. (one 20mph roll in I got too aggressive and it just spun through to about 50mph and I lifted out.. created a big smile if nothing else!)
Data-logging shows 0 STKN and also obviously at this stage 0 LTKN
Map sensor data is showing it is making 7.75 psi boost. I am not sure how accurate you rate that data but I suppose it is what the PCM is going to use so must be relevant. With my shorty headers I was expecting to loose a little boost from reading KB's tech files that explained why so the 7.75psi result would seem pretty much spot on with the 8psi pulley.
Anyway I am a very happy customer at the moment, once again thank you.
Best regards Phil.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Well rather predictable for me, no resistance to temptation at all.
After data logs show no issues with knock ect after a whole 250 miles @8psi I have installed the 9psi pulley.
Hi,
KB good for word on pulley...Arrived today.
So a few bumps along the way but very happy with the final outcome and KB,s attention to service and customer support overall.
Extremely happy with the finished install both looks wise and performance wise.
Now how long can I resist the temptation to install that smaller pulley....time will tell.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
UPR catch can has finally arrived and installed so I should be able to report in time how well Kenne Bells new design oil separator is working. Cars datalogs are showing 10 psi of boost, no knock and at 1000 miles driving since install it is going great!!!!

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Well it has been a while since any updates, I had not been able to use the site for many months due to the site not liking my IP address for some reason....don't know why but back now!
Some updates,
Car still running great no issues with KB's tune ect but I have found/pushed to the limit on their tune for boost and oct.
@9.25 peak boost 93 0ct fuel = 0 ST KN
@10.5 peak boost 93 Oct fuel = 4/5 degrees ST KN (datalogged on 1/4 mile drag event, consistent every run) this did not translate to any LT KN but I assume would eventually and is a good sign I have reached limit on 93 oct value.
Moving forward I am going to use the 9.25 pulley/93 oct as my everyday tune.
Maybe in summer 10.5psi pulley with Lucas octane booster (yet to test if sorts out the 4/5 ST KN) or + meth inj to suit.
Currently installing AEM Wideband/Meth Inj/ Pulley to put me @12/13psi range then custom tune for Drag events. (over 6mths away now as entering our aut/winter.
Recent event at airstrip no burnout no track prep event so times were not great (best high 13 sec)
Challenging (pun intended) to get traction, non existent in 1st, almost non existent in 2nd, ocasional appearance in 3rd,
Only managed one run where I got the throttle input right to only briefly loose traction on the 2-3 shift and was full throttle input by 85mph resulted in ET 119mph so shows some promise.
Ordered 305/20/35 ET SS Streets for next attempt.
Inspections of catch can so far only show light film, barely worth cleaning so initial indication is KB's new oil seperator system is an improvement on the old design.
OK, thats it for now.
Phil.

Attachments

·
Registered
887 Posts
Congratulations Phil!

This has my attention.
"Inspections of catch can so far only show light film, barely worth cleaning so initial indication is KB's new oil seperator system is an improvement on the old design."

Do you have the UPR catch can in-line after the KB's catch can? And the UPR is basically dry????
The new KB is self-draining, correct?

I would appreciate it if you could attach a few close-up's of the new KB can from a few angles. If it works that well - I am going to have to get one of those!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Mr. Phil I'm assuming you are running that on top of a complete stock engine and tranny yes/no...? Forgive me if you have already answered that or posted same ?

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Congratulations Phil!

This has my attention.
"Inspections of catch can so far only show light film, barely worth cleaning so initial indication is KB's new oil seperator system is an improvement on the old design."

Do you have the UPR catch can in-line after the KB's catch can? And the UPR is basically dry????
The new KB is self-draining, correct?

I would appreciate it if you could attach a few close-up's of the new KB can from a few angles. If it works that well - I am going to have to get one of those!
Hi Rick,
Yes catch can after KB's seperator and yes KB's is self draining.
I will take a photo of setup and what is currently in the UPR can after approx 1500 miles asap. (will be working on wideband install today)
Phil.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Mr. Phil I'm assuming you are running that on top of a complete stock engine and tranny yes/no...? Forgive me if you have already answered that or posted same ?
Hi,
Yes stock engine and tranny. I am aware that I am going past what is recommended as safe.
This is my toy and not a daily driver.
Funds are on hand for a stroked forged long block and other upgrades if and when breakage occurs.
I will be happy if I do not have to spend that money but it is allowed for in the ownership/build plan for my car.
Phil.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Thanks Phil.

I got in touch with KB and he sent me the installation instructions for the new oil separator/PCV Valve, with photos.

If you can: Please unscrew the PCV Valve on top of it and take a photo of the inside - straight down.

It looks in their photo like it is a straight shot right through it. I don't see any media/mesh/screen material, or anything that would actually perform the function of separating the oil out of the oil vapor. Do you see something inside it that I don't see?

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Thanks Phil.

I got in touch with KB and he sent me the installation instructions for the new oil separator/PCV Valve, with photos.

If you can: Please unscrew the PCV Valve on top of it and take a photo of the inside - straight down.

It looks in their photo like it is a straight shot right through it. I don't see any media/mesh/screen material, or anything that would actually perform the function of separating the oil out of the oil vapor. Do you see something inside it that I don't see?
The outlet stem from the seperator contains the fine mesh screen and small hole, appears similar in concept to Mr Norms developed system.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #35 (Edited)
OK another little update, Wideband and Meth system all installed and entering our spring now so a bit of testing/tuning done today. With no other changes to pulleys ect my 10.5 psi peak is now 11.6psi so that would confirm that just spraying the Meth alone (50/50 mix) has created extra boost as predicted/noted (estimated 1-1.5psi increase was expected) due to better sealing effect in supercharger. The 4-5 STK I had @10.5psi on 93oct has disapeared so great news there as well. AFR in the high 10.7 to 11.1 for the 70-110mph 3rd gear pull so things looking pretty good at the moment.
Ok thats it for now except 2 psi more pulley in reserve for when feeling brave or stupid!
Well it has been a while since any updates, I had not been able to use the site for many months due to the site not liking my IP address for some reason....don't know why but back now!
Some updates,
Car still running great no issues with KB's tune ect but I have found/pushed to the limit on their tune for boost and oct.
@9.25 peak boost 93 0ct fuel = 0 ST KN
@10.5 peak boost 93 Oct fuel = 4/5 degrees ST KN (datalogged on 1/4 mile drag event, consistent every run) this did not translate to any LT KN but I assume would eventually and is a good sign I have reached limit on 93 oct value.
Moving forward I am going to use the 9.25 pulley/93 oct as my everyday tune.
Maybe in summer 10.5psi pulley with Lucas octane booster (yet to test if sorts out the 4/5 ST KN) or + meth inj to suit.
Currently installing AEM Wideband/Meth Inj/ Pulley to put me @12/13psi range then custom tune for Drag events. (over 6mths away now as entering our aut/winter.
Recent event at airstrip no burnout no track prep event so times were not great (best high 13 sec)
Challenging (pun intended) to get traction, non existent in 1st, almost non existent in 2nd, ocasional appearance in 3rd,
Only managed one run where I got the throttle input right to only briefly loose traction on the 2-3 shift and was full throttle input by 85mph resulted in ET 119mph so shows some promise.
Ordered 305/20/35 ET SS Streets for next attempt.
Inspections of catch can so far only show light film, barely worth cleaning so initial indication is KB's new oil seperator system is an improvement on the old design.

Phil.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Update... Ran the same airport event Nov 3rd with the tweaks talked about above all done.
First run dropped 1.2 second off my previous best (the biggest gain was tires/grip) then turned into a bracket car running an identical time for next run... got greedy and tried a bit more boot into it for 3rd run and got wheelspin at about 4000rpm in 1st and ended up dropping 3/10ths sec.
12.61 will not sound fast to most but bear in mind airport/no burnout/no rubber down at start/ pull out of grass pit area/ idle 50yrds to start line/stop at tree/Go.
120 entries, fastest time 11.2 from dedicated drag car, best street cars examples 2012 ZR1 making 570rwkw 12.3 (this cars previous best was a 12.7 @530rwkw and I ran before him first round so briefly I had him beat!, modded 4WD Audi S7 12.0, standardish late model camaros ect mid 14s.
The general consenus from cars that also run at prepped drag tracks is you loose 1.5 secs minimum at this event and it has the reputation as the hardest event/track in New-Zealand apparently.
I was 12th overall for the day ,take out the dedicated drag cars and the two high hp 4WDs (the audi and a modded turbo porsche) and I would of been 3rd behind the ZR1 and a rumoured 590rwkw LS supercharged Holden (sold as Pontiacs over your way)
I should have dropped the tyre pressure from 22 to 20 before I got greedy and also transmission is now sloppy/slow and slipping on the 3-4 shift and that was hurting my ET and top speed as well.
I think my car has a flat 12 in it at this event with a bit more grip (tire pressure adjust) and lifting my rev-limiter to trap in 3rd.
Next event in March so a bit of time to think about it.
Results can be seen on Oamaru Drags facebook page.
Cheers Phil.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
I thought you were going to say at Meremere, just as rubbish without prep, no way to match US times!
Yeh.... I drool a bit just looking at the track prep in the States watching Cletus and his mates!
Guys are talking dropping +1.5 secs on their best Ruapuna efforts at this airport event (probably similar at most airstrip events around the world).
I have no idea how Ruapuna would compare to Meremere, I suppose it would depend on the event profile as to how well they prep.
Thinking about maybe going up and having a run at Ruapuna (8hr round trip for me) sometime out of interest but I would want to know it was going to be good prep so at least you left with as good a time as you would likely ever get.
I wonder what say a flat 11sec car at Meremere or Ruapuna would do with States style track/prep...another .3 better?
Obviously the more power a car has the harder it is to get through these low traction events with a lowish ET.
Great fun local event to participate in anyway, and everyone there has to deal with the same conditions.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #39 (Edited)
Great service from Kenne Bell, updated tune with 6200 rev-limit revision received already.
First new setting experiment will be(using tranzformer to achieve) 1-2 and 2-3 set to shift @5900rpm and 3-4 @+6200rpm and hopefully not hit limiter before finish line.
I was using manual mode, start in 1 and let the car control shifts at last event.... data logs showed shifts +_ 25rpm from 5600rpm.
I am thinking the 6200 limit should get me past 120mph in 3rd but not sure, 5600 was around 107mph on data log info.
Need to get the calculator and work that out. " did and worked out 118.5mph"
A club day that uses the main straight of a race track for 1/4 mile events is coming up next weekend...will look at weather predictions and may attend (8hr round trip for me so weather will have to look good to warrant risk)
Cheers Phil.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
And now the next update..
A little frustrated to be honest, back to the 1/4 mile event talked about above for the March 2019 round. (Event is held twice a year Nov and March) and with the new KB updated tune I was expecting to be on or across the line before the new "6200rpm" limiter setting cuts in.
Short story is it was banging on the limiter @5825rpm still 30+yrds from the line so a mere 125 rpm lift from OEM, not sure what happened to my "6200rpm" new setting .
Have sent KB email asking for possible explanations as to why?
Good news from day is a 12.3 so still picked up 3/10ths on previous best at this event, but again frustrated at what it may of been.

21 - 40 of 49 Posts