Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Should you keep spray products from getting on matte black surfaces? I thought about trying Meguiar's spray Hybrid Ceramic Wax but am concerned about getting it on the flat black spoiler & other black plastic trim pieces.

I did some searching here & on the Meguiar's website. One person sprayed on too much & had some difficulty getting it off paint & porous black surfaces. Even if being careful there could be an oops moment.

The same goes for spray on detail products that clean & add shine to your car.

When applying Meguiar's Ultimate Paste Wax I taped up some areas to make sure wax didn't get on them. But that would kind of defeat the reason for using a quick application of a spray product.

Am I being too concerned about getting spray detail or wax products on matte black?

·
Banned
97 Posts
No wax on matte finishes at all. Consider a wash for matte finishes as many include wax in their formula. I use Chemical Guys matte car wash, works great and goes a loooong way. Meticulous Matte Auto Wash for Crisp Satin & Matte Finishes |
I had a wrap shop tell me they use generic ammonia free window cleaner on matte wraps for cleaning and in between washing. I use that also.

Here is me waxing 3 days ago:

·
Premium Member
2021 JEEP Wrangler Unlimited Willys 4X4
2,192 Posts
Looks like a time consuming PITA, @AARTA

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No other option as far as I know. Especially for a T/A. Not so many shiny spots on that car.
That's what I also did, used blue painters tape.

I read a lot of people use spray on products. They'd have to cover up a lot more in order to keep over spray from getting all over. Or maybe they don't use spray products if there's any matte black on the car.

I was thinking about using a quicky spray wax to keep the car looking nice between waxing, but that seems like a loosing proposition.

·
Banned
97 Posts
I used Meguiar's G18220 Ultimate Liquid Wax. It's a nice soft wax that seems easier to control than a spray.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I used spray wax (mostly Eagle 1) on my Go Mango 2018 Charger Daytona with matte black accents and now on my matte black on pitch black 2020 Challenger Shaker expressly because of the matte black decals to keep them protected... no issues at all... but I haven't tried any ceramic type spray waxes. I did lay down a coat of liquid wax (some Turtle Wax F21 I had on hand) up close to all the matte black and plastic trims without touching them and now use the spray type waxes on all of the exterior to keep the protection going.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I have used the Meguires spray on quick wax on my car a least once a month for the last three years. I wax the black scat pack stripe just like the rest of the car. No ill effects at all. It doesn't make the matte black stripe shiny in the slightest. I think a lot of you guys just overthink it. Maybe it's different from other waxes, I don't know.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It sounds like with spray on wax you are actually waxing the matte black areas vs trying not to.

The spray Hybrid Ceramic Wax seems to get good reviews & comments which is why I thought it would be worth trying. The Meguiar's website video shows them using a pressure washer to rinse it off but says you don't need one. However some of the user comments make it sound like the higher the pressure the better the product gets distributed across the paint. I don't have a pressure washer & not sure if my garden hose pressure will work anywhere near as well.

Has anyone used a detail spray that supposedly makes/keeps the finish shiny? What happens when that stuff gets on matte black?

Warmer weather is here & I washed my car the other day so it's got me thinking about keeping it nice looking.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Same here. I use Meguiar's quick spray detailer after I wash the car weekly, no issues. I just clayed the car and waxed it today, using Meguiar's Ultimate Wax (applied with a pad). It clearly states "for glossy finishes only" and says not to use on matte of flat surfaces. That might be true for paint but I tested it on a matte stripe on my Scat Pack Shaker and had no problems with it.

·
Banned
97 Posts
Same here. I use Meguiar's quick spray detailer after I wash the car weekly, no issues. I just clayed the car and waxed it today, using Meguiar's Ultimate Wax (applied with a pad). It clearly states "for glossy finishes only" and says not to use on matte of flat surfaces. That might be true for paint but I tested it on a matte stripe on my Scat Pack Shaker and had no problems with it.
I wouldn't trust it on the large matte areas of my T/A.

·
Registered
76 Posts
One more close up of the stripe after wax. Now,I didn't wax the stripes and was careful to not get too much on them, but the little bit that did get on them just wiped right off.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Yeah, if I had matte or flat paint, I'd be really hesitant to use it. That'd be an expensive mistake. However, I am not afraid to use these products on my stripes, it's just not an issue.

·
Premium Member
2021 JEEP Wrangler Unlimited Willys 4X4
2,192 Posts
I’d like to think that NO ONE would actually apply that to the hood, roof, or deck lid of a T/A.

I would not see it as being a problem on the side decals though.

Thanks for all the posts within this thread, @AeroF16

Reactions: AeroF16

·
Registered
76 Posts
Well, since I'm stuck inside watching the kiddos, here are a few more. One reason I wanted to post this is because you wont see these labels if the product is in a box, like the wax was. I'll also add that these products are not a problem with the other plastic or rubber parts on the car, i.e. the spoilers, shaker, window trim, etc., which it clearly states on the labels. Wipes right off.

Yellow label is the spray quick detailer that claims it "can be used on all paint types and plastic trim, not recommended for glass".

The next one is the wax itself, which clearly states "NOT recommended for use on flat, matte, or satin finishes). Again, i had no problem with this one on the stripes. I followed the 3-5 minute recommendation on the bottle between application and removal.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well, since I'm stuck inside watching the kiddos, here are a few more. One reason I wanted to post this is because you wont see these labels if the product is in a box, like the wax was. I'll also add that these products are not a problem with the other plastic or rubber parts on the car, i.e. the spoilers, shaker, window trim, etc., which it clearly states on the labels. Wipes right off.

Yellow label is the spray quick detailer that claims it "can be used on all paint types and plastic trim, not recommended for glass".

The next one is the wax itself, which clearly states "NOT recommended for use on flat, matte, or satin finishes). Again, i had no problem with this one on the stripes. I followed the 3-5 minute recommendation on the bottle between application and removal.
Thanks for all the information & photos.

Did you ever get any of the liquid wax on the spolier?

I used the Meguiar's Ultimate Paste Wax. The box says for glossy paints & clear coats. The can inside says "For glossy paint finishes only (NOT for use on flat, matte or satin finishes).

Basically I'd like to use something where I don't have to mask off part of the car,

·
Registered
183 Posts
Just bought a 2020 shaker scat pack octane red color no decal but the spoiler is flat black and grill and back is flat black ,is there any other suggestions on the the flat black with waxing

1 - 20 of 35 Posts