Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been washing my car once and sometimes twice a week and have learned a good system to keep it in nice shape (from previous cars I drove daily that still looked fantastic even after 10 years). Take it to the spray wash bay but don't use the brush, just use the pressure washer on the soap setting and hit every square inch of the car to get all the salt and muck off.

Then go right to the wax setting and use that to rinse the car + pound the wax onto it. This wax coating (film more or less) builds up as a protective coating that a real "wipe down" wash will remove, and you dont want to do that until spring time.

I have also taken it through a touchless automated wash that applies a layer of rainX to the entire car which helps as well.

Just something to keep in mind as you don't want to remove all the protective waxes and coatings from your cars during this time of the year, save that for the real cleaning that comes when the weather warms up.

The car will look crappy with white spots all over it (the wax) but it does its job.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Good tips. Lucky for me I have a garage and a "hand car wash" near my home. These guys charge $12 plus $2 for under Carriage blast. I usually have them to do it twice. If you don't have a good hand car wash near you then your method is recommended although you have to be careful of water staying in between the cracks of the lowering moldings. That water could freeze and expand therefore causing it to crack or separate from the car.

The place I go to uses compressed air in all the cracks to get out most of the water when they are drying.

·
Administrator
3,749 Posts
I wash my Jeep pretty much every day in a touchless car wash even if it gets filthy heading home. Don't know if it's available everywhere, but in Canada we have Petro Canada car wash season's passes that include under car washes. Cost is around $200 and you can wash once every day for 90 days. If you register online they give you another 10 days. Got 32 days to go and by that time it should be warm enough to do myself.

Bernie

·
Premium Member
4,634 Posts
I drive my car through it all, slush, sand, salt, ice, snow. I do the full body car wash once a week to keep the elements off of it. If I had tons of money I'd do it every day. :lol:

·
Registered
391 Posts
I drive my car through it all, slush, sand, salt, ice, snow. I do the full body car wash once a week to keep the elements off of it. If I had tons of money I'd do it every day. :lol:
I'm in Bellevue....I agree, hand wash once a week is just about right. Up till last week, we really have not had any meaningful snow in the Omaha area.

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There are hand washes around here but the car would be filthy before I even made it home - not worth it. I just want to make sure all the salt is off the car and there is some sort of protection on there before the next go-round.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Touchless with undercarriage wash is the only way on a daily driver. I'm not parking mine because I bought mine to enjoy every day. You gotta get past the "dirty car" thing and think about what you'll do to her when the weather breaks. Otherwise it's gonna drive you nuts, even deranged!

·
Registered
61 Posts
I'm in Bellevue....I agree, hand wash once a week is just about right. Up till last week, we really have not had any meaningful snow in the Omaha area.
I was up there last Saturday night and it was a MESS. You guys use a lot more salt up there than we do. Glad we took the KIA up and left the Challenger at home in the warm garage:)

We have a JetSplash pass on all our cars. Unlimited washes per month for $40.00. Still I don't drive her if its sloppy in the winter. I don't like rust and salt and the other crap they put on is not friendly.

·
Registered
588 Posts
One of the problems that we are having this winter (in Chicago) is that we've had over 20 days of blistering cold weather so far (negative windchill) and over 60" of snow this season. This makes washing a car a PAIN.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Great Tips man.... I wash my car around 3 times a week. I will do the Drive in Auto wash if it's super dirty. Any other time I will do the spray in the bay just as you said. If the roads are still wet and dirty, I spay in the bay then spray at home. I have a heated garage. I do a wipe down and call it a day. Salt is a ride killer. I have to get that off no matter what.

·
Registered
834 Posts
I use a very simple method for keeping my Challenger clean in the winter:

1) Thoroughly clean the inside and outside no later than the weekend after Thanksgiving (or earlier if they begin salting the roads), with quickwax on the paint and interior detailer/leather conditioner on the inside.

2) Store covered in the garage until:
a. Daylight Savings Time
b. The temperature is at least 60 deg
c. The roads are no longer being salted
d. We have had at least 2" of rain to make sure all of the remaining salt is gone
e. Minimum of party cloudy and no more than a 10% chance of rain from at least 2 reliable weather sources

Not that hard...

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I use a very simple method for keeping my Challenger clean in the winter:

1) Thoroughly clean the inside and outside no later than the weekend after Thanksgiving (or earlier if they begin salting the roads), with quickwax on the paint and interior detailer/leather conditioner on the inside.

2) Store covered in the garage until:
a. Daylight Savings Time
b. The temperature is at least 60 deg
c. The roads are no longer being salted
d. We have had at least 2" of rain to make sure all of the remaining salt is gone
e. Minimum of party cloudy and no more than a 10% chance of rain from at least 2 reliable weather sources

Not that hard...
The next owner will appreciate it :thup:

·
Registered
834 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
I use this on the wife's car in winter.
Amazon.com: Meguiar's Ultimate Wash and Wax Anywhere Spray: Automotive

Take it to a quick wash/touchless place to get the obvious crap off, then use this with a few clean microfiber towels and the finish & protection was amazing.
Hers is also black, no micro scratches, no marring - absolutely perfect.

Would positively use on my SRT if it saw the shitty weather hers does.

·
Premium Member
2,009 Posts
The next owner will appreciate it :thup:
So will the sellers bank account when he gets well over book value for it. :bigthumb:

Nothing wrong with protecting your assets.

·
Registered
228 Posts
doesn't the undercarriage lead to rust though? At least that's what i did to my last car. I always try to avoid blasting the pipes with water.

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
So will the sellers bank account when he gets well over book value for it. :bigthumb:

Nothing wrong with protecting your assets.
Obviously, I am just razzing.

I only plan on keeping mine for a couple years before upgrading - no amount of salt is going to do anything to it in that time (ESPECIALLY after washing it twice a week). I could even say it was never winter driven.... ;)

I figure with these cars, it'll take around 12 years of bad winters to really leave a mark - 2005 300's are still clean around here....:thumbsup:

These cars get completely submerged in vats of anti-corrosive liquid 2 times before getting painted at the plant - and it works.

·
Premium Member
2,009 Posts
doesn't the undercarriage lead to rust though? At least that's what i did to my last car. I always try to avoid blasting the pipes with water.
Think about what your car is designed to endure; sub zero weather, torrential rain, dust storms, etc. Yes, our cars are mostly steel against the elements but they could not be better prepared to keep corrosion to a bare minimum. Salt is many times more corrosive to your car than water so wash the underside of your car.

If your exhaust system rusts through in 10 years, get a new one. They're easily replaceable.

:thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts