Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanted to ask a question for everybody who plan on keeping their cars, how do you think the parts market will look 10/20/30+ years down the road?

I started thinking about the upkeep it takes to keep the older classics running, and it got me thinking what will it take to keep ours going? These cars with all of their electronics and inboard computers make it hard for the moderate to us mechanically inclined to work on them as is.

What will happen when or if mopar/dodge Chrysler cuts off parts and support? Do you think aftermarket will hold out?

·
Premium Member
1,473 Posts
It probably depends on supply and demand. Hard to look into the future. The past is a pretty good determining factor. If you have a ten year old Ram in good shape can you get any part you need? What about a 15 or 20 year old Dodge truck? I would say that the answer is yes but some of these parts are aftermarket.

·
Premium Member
666 Posts
Just like the old muscle cars of the past, junk yards will supply a lot of body parts, engines, transmissions and rear-ends. The electronics can be savaged as well for some items.

·
Premium Member
10,420 Posts
Drive it and enjoy it while taking care of it too. Don't let all the what if's spoil the fun at all.

Reactions: Dremo87

·
Registered
314 Posts
Challengers have a huge advantage in that a good share of the parts are spread across 3 cars and they've had a decently long run. The transmissions are sourced, not in house so there is going to be a LOT of parts availability because they are used on so many cars (at least the tremec and ZF. The Mercedes shouldn't be bad though). One of the problems that you had in older cars, particularly the rarer ones, is that they were based on ALA Carte menus and some of the options were low.

Conversely, the computer mopar uses will cover all the options available and it just has options turned on and off in canbus. It's not terribly difficult to keep most 30 year old cars running now, it's just not cost effective. Even weird cars like GLH's have a pretty active group keeping them running.

·
Premium Member
1,748 Posts
I wanted to ask a question for everybody who plan on keeping their cars, how do you think the parts market will look 10/20/30+ years down the road?

I started thinking about the upkeep it takes to keep the older classics running, and it got me thinking what will it take to keep ours going? These cars with all of their electronics and inboard computers make it hard for the moderate to us mechanically inclined to work on them as is.

What will happen when or if mopar/dodge Chrysler cuts off parts and support? Do you think aftermarket will hold out?
Same as the old car market... everything will be aftermarket and any remaining OEM parts will cost a fortune.
Chrysler has already started to consolidate parts...
2 years ago you could still walk into a dealer and order all of the different challenger/Charger shocks offered in 2008-10
And there were a sh!tload... today you are lucky if you can still find the 3 basics, SRT & RT & v6 touring

Just wait another 10years and see what they still sell.
I wonder if you can still get 08 Superbee stripe kits? I'll bet they aren't making any more new sets.

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
Long term for car but ya never know on me, but if I do survive past the 6th year on this note (2 years left ;)), plan on replacing at the least every piece of rubber on this car with poly greased with "Green Grease", love this one car and it is going to stay with me till..... ;)
Added; I ride/own Harley's and they "obsolete" models about every 5 years, never have trouble getting the parts from ANY other source once that happens and MUCH cheaper than OEM.

·
Registered
515 Posts
My experience with old junk is that it's not the computer that fails. Brakes wear out, transmissions slip, engines smoke, stuff underneath rusts out and wears out. There's nothing under your Challenger that presents any unique problems there. All the functional stuff is common enough that parts won't be a problem.

Automakers are required to supply parts for 10 years. By then the aftermarket has usually gotten on board. You'll have trouble finding trim parts, and I'm sure there's some design fault that will show up with a broken part on every single one, so your junkyard search will only turn up broken ones. But again there's usually an aftermarket solution, especially with a car as popular as the Challenger.

Also, the American car fleet is aging. As cars get better, they last longer and stay around (with parts support) longer.

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Challengers have a huge advantage in that a good share of the parts are spread across 3 cars and they've had a decently long run. The transmissions are sourced, not in house so there is going to be a LOT of parts availability because they are used on so many cars (at least the tremec and ZF. The Mercedes shouldn't be bad though). One of the problems that you had in older cars, particularly the rarer ones, is that they were based on ALA Carte menus and some of the options were low.

Conversely, the computer mopar uses will cover all the options available and it just has options turned on and off in canbus. It's not terribly difficult to keep most 30 year old cars running now, it's just not cost effective. Even weird cars like GLH's have a pretty active group keeping them running.
First all thanks everyone for the replies :)

This response in particular made me realize that I forgot that the challenger is sharing the same platform with 2 other cars, so that should make ease the burden on parts.

Idk to give some background I work for a car shredding recycling company, and after seeing so many crashed, neglected, and crushed cars coming in, it got me thinking that eventually our cars will meet that same fate.

I'm starting to see a lot of challengers on the road, which kinda makes me happy, but at the same time I'm seeing people who just treat it as another car. Dirty, unkempt etc. A lot of you older guys appreciate these cars more than us youngbucks cause its yalls chance to finally have a modern but classic muscle car. Knowing my adhd generation I figured some of us would get these cars, enjoy for a few years, then dump it for the next hot thing.

I plan on keeping mine till death, or some sort of unforseen tragedy forces me to sell it. In the meantime I will enjoy as long as I'm paying for it in the short term , and after it gets paid off, I'll retire it to weekend, funtoy for the longterm.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts