Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a pre owned, never installed Vortech V3 for my 5.7 R/T. The system includes a Vortech Fuel Pump Booster. Is that an okay unit to install or would it be safer/better to run a Kenne Bell Boost A Pump?

Sorry for such a basic question, but I'm doing the install and want to get it right!

·
Premium Member
867 Posts
KB BAP- much better reputation plus it's a voltage regulator

·
Registered
504 Posts
I would rather go with a higher flow pump rather than adding voltage to make a pump run above capacity. Both will work but both do just that and like anything else if you run it over capacity it will be prone to burn out.

Just my two cents.

Reactions: bigdaddy

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
504 Posts
Yeah I would believe so hut how much boost will you be running is important and really some data logging will help. I have 80lbs injectors and the tuner can scale them for you to meet your needs. Can't remember for sure, I have it somewhere but I thought the 392 pump is only 130lph whee if you buy say a Walbro or AEromotive pump you will get 400 LPH

Todd

·
Premium Member
867 Posts
The KB BAP have been around for 15 + years and are proven to be reliable, they actually extend the life of your stock fuel pump because of voltage regulation.

Show me one BAP that burned a fuel pump that was installed right ?

The BAP has been on thousands of FI cars from the super snake mustang to 100s of Dodge, ford, chevy, Kenne Bell kits .

It only speeds the pump up when in boost compared to the full time high flow of other aftermarket pumps.

I will show you all kinds of threads with the aftermarket pumps that have failed
or heat the fuel and vapor lock etc.

The biggest problem with the BAP is people don't wiring them right and that
is the only failures I've seen.

I think your stock fuel pump with BAP is the way to go. When you get into the high
RWHP then go with a return style fuel system and aftermarket pumps. But for a DD and just spirited street fun, the BAP is great, trouble free.

Read this :

http://www.kennebell.net/KBWebsite/Common/pdfs/BAPtheory_kens.pdf

I have the BAP and several of my friends have used them for years with no issues .
I put down 733 whp with a steady 11.0 AFR with just a BAP, larger injectors, and fuel rails , its been 4 years.

There are options that are new and thats good, the API saddle pump seems to be receiving good reviews plus a handful of others. I just like the fact that your running around with the factory fuel system 98% of the time with the KB BAP.

That's my 2 cents

·
Premium Member
09 RT Challenger auto
3,467 Posts
The 392 pump will be fine. Log it first, if its off throw the KB bap at it. Id bet it will be fine. I ran my 5.7 pump for years.
BTW Cannonballcob The crank pin drill jig and pin will be at your doorstep thursday so you can pin your crank,
FlatTop

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
I'm running 50lb SRT4 injectors, would a 392 pump work for those?
My Edelbrock E-Force came with 52lb fuel injectors and a 392 fuel pump. So I would imagine the 392 is good to go. Like FT says, get the BAP if needed afterwards. But I believe the 392 fp will be fine.

Reactions: cannonballcobb

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Awesome guys, Flat Top I truly appreciate you loaning me the jig and I'll ship it back to you ASAP.

jaelliott, thanks for that info, I'm definitely going the 392 pump route... Are you still using the 392 pump that came with your Edelbrock kit?

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
jaelliott, thanks for that info, I'm definitely going the 392 pump route... Are you still using the 392 pump that came with your Edelbrock kit?
I am. No need to go with a BAP yet.

·
Premium Member
867 Posts
I'm not sure about the vortech kit and the 5.7, but the Maggie 6lb kit does not come with any fuel pump upgrade. One reason why is because the Kit comes with larger fuel rails and cross over. The engineer from magnuson told me it wasn't needed because of that.

Might want to think about larger rails and cross over. I agree with Flat Top about Logging and seeing if the AFR is a problem, but AFR sensor is only on one side.

What I found on a 6.1 is the Driverside runs 13% leaner than passanger side. The 6.1 has that tiny little crossover in the back. My tuner would alway put the sniffer on Driverside and tune from there.

Again I don't know sh#t about the 5.7 and Vortech, but I thought I would throw that out there.

Reactions: cannonballcobb
1 - 11 of 11 Posts