Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
12' SRT Challenger
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I hope im posting this in the right area, im new to blogging, anyhow, i wanted to complement "chukarboy" Kenne Bell review, great job, hopefully he sees my reply because i too have a 2010 black CHALLENGER SRT auto stick with corsa x-treme, not sure what he went with, meaning the sport or x-treme but it does sound good, for the most part his words are very accurate, i live in hawaii so i elected to order direct from kenne bell since its west coast time instead of mr. norm on the east coast, in case i need tech support, any how me and my good friend started the project at 9 am saturday and worked non stop, well we had about a 1/2 pizza break at around 5 pm and finished at 7am sunday morning, thats about a 22 hour marathon in a carport in a freaking storm that decided to roll in at around 2am.

so here is what i ordered a 2.8 lc in black and yes the polished version is a gem but my car is black so it does work for me, ill put the $600 i saved in polishing towards the new tires, cause the stock ones aren't going to last.

now for the review on my opinion, this KB kicks ass i ordered the basic set up liquid cooled 2.8, i thought that when i ordered it the add said 8 psi on the base set up drive pulley, i still have to get my gauge pillar set up so i can keep a close eye on the vitals, anyway, KB does give you everything, i mean everything, even the solder for wires, that was good also the sarcasm and dry humor in the instruction manual is just beautiful, I loved it, the pictures in the manual ill give a 9 out of 10 a few where a little sketchy (all black and white) but the descriptions on the how too's 10 of 10, now a little negatives for the amount of money this unit costs they should have given an extra drill bit or two for drilling holes for the the crank for the roll pins, im sure im not the only guy on his back in a car port doing this job and they break, i broke 3 the shetty part is they give you a special 1/4 bit with short flutes, maybe just me and a little bad luck, still got-r-dun, the jig for drilling however is top notch quality, i was disappointed in the massive cold air intake tube though, inside had flash rust,raw steel inside, but wiped it off so should be good, no coating, outside was nice but outside coating doesn't get sucked into my compressor like the flash rust could,the whole tube should have been dipped, or make the whole tube out of aluminum, i mean this is a high end system, so i would like them to go all out, plus the weight factor, i weighed everything out of the box and i believe it was an extra 142.6 pounds without the extra fluids, so really its going to come in at around 140lbs, on a already porky car, of course minus the weight of the intake you just put on craigs list, but that is only around 20-25 lbs, count on 140 total weight, don't mean to rip on my own system or KB just want you to know to prepare you, just being honest and telling how it is, i haven't got to feel the total power yet due to weather and or lack of locations of the cops, but the small/short hammer drops that i have done is impressive, this unit is quiet until its time not to be quiet, from a dead stop and no raising the rpm's or power breaking, drop the hammer and watch the tach go and wait for the molten rubber smoke to fill the car, what a rush!, this system runs smooth, as my buddy has a good point the Challenger is more money and looks the nicest of the big three because its a gentleman's car and the Kenne Bell is the perfect compliment to it, remember you get what you pay for,no rattling like some of the other units out there, i know they make power just dont like the sound they make, cant tell if there is a problem with all that noise, ok back to my buddy, when I get back from my vacation we are going to go out and see what wins. he has a base line Procharger air cooled and i have a base line Kenne Bell, liquid cooled, hes got a beutiful Hemi Orange 6 spd 09' with track pack, but hes got black 22's on all 4 corners viper style, i think that those are going to be a disadvantage for him, adding more rolling mass, oh did i mention his car is the signed Ron Capps edition that was seen in the Napa commercials this year, i still get a kick out of that commercial, keep an eye out for us on you tube, we will be posting some nice videos come the new year, and our small battle of the superchargers, so lets post more of the comparisons with full details so the new guys can make better educated decisions and tailored to their budgets, all in all i give the KB super charger set up a 9.5 out of 10, a must have, remember "Drive it like you stole it"

·
Administrator
17,155 Posts
Thanks for your report. Looking forward to the youtube videos.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Welcome to the "KB Installed at Home" Club:bigthumb:

·
Premium Member
4,384 Posts
welcome to the Fastest streetblower car family

·
Banned
642 Posts
Interesting. I never looked inside the intake pipe before I installed so not sure if it had rust. Mine is as well chrome and have 2500 miles on the car with the SC. No problems here.

Becker, just take your time with the install. It is very straight forward and there is no reason to rush or cut steps. If you ever have questions PM me and I would be happy to help out.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Howzit everyone. This is Drem-on's friend who helped install the KB in his Challenger.
Honestly, had it not been for the first drill bit breaking we could have easily shaved 2 hours. Not sure if the bit quality was lacking, but the bit I got with my Procharger cut thru like hot knife thru butter.
I can vouche for the flash rust on the inside of the powdercoated pipe, not acceptable in my opinion. Actually the pipe should be aluminum just to shave weight.

Few things I did not like about the KB:
-Very heavy compared to my PC
-Tons of hoses and worm clamps all over the place with zip ties making it look not OEM
-hollow roll pins on the damper versus one solid pin on the damper as my PC
-Poor location/access to the air filter. Yeah, it will take in cooler air but what a beeoch to clean. I already told him to buy another fender liner and fab it to make an access panel through the drivers wheelhouse to make it easier versus dropping the whole front lower cover
-limited to a stock strut tie bar
-"Ford'ish" engine look with that offset throttle body location and air pipe
-Instructions were great except the suggestion to drill a hole in your trunk pan and install the grommet to run the BAP wires along the fuel lines. Unacceptable to me. Instead I ran it in the car along the passenger side of the car, dropped the glovebox and fished it through the OE grommet. Much cleaner, safer, out of elements and easier. This was the way PC recommended.
-Not thoroughly convinced on the pulley mounting on the snout. I would prefer a pin or key of some sort, but hey I am not an engineer.
-Preference: I feel the less electrical parts the better and not too thrilled about a water intercooler. Having another constant electrical drain from a constant coolant pump running with the key on and need to yank the bumper cover off to replace the pump when it fails which is inevitable especially since it is not a submerged type pump which keeps cooler and last longer.
-Preference: it's too quiet for me. I know the Procharger is loud and irritating to some and is a love/hate thing. Sounds just like my '99 GTP I user to run with the factory Eaton sc at 14psi. Live hearing my PC spool up and the blow off valve dumping when I shift. Makes the import guys crap it when they hear me coming ;)

Now for the good:
- Very well written & funny instructions
-Supplied practically all needed materials including solder, Teflon, quality 3M tape minus the drill bit
-precise fitting parts including the snout support bracket
-BAP came pre-wired making it a tad easier than the PC
-Preference: Quiet operation which is great for guys who need to hide it from their wives ( right, Mike? ;) )
-the cool factor of how much larger the engine looks with the sc on. Looks very large and impressive
-easier intercooler installation and no need to lower the radiator. However I love the look of my PC intercooler more.
-everything minus the drilling went smoothe. Started up perfectly and no leaks :)

We took a wick jaunt in the car got the first time yesterday and yes, it makes great off the line low end torque for smokey launches.
From the passenger seat the overall pull feels the same as my PC.
His car is automatic and will have the advantage of no drop off on boost during shifts and he can spool his boost at launch.
Drawbacks I can see is on street tires he is going to have to keep the tires from going up in smoke from a dead stop. Dont get me wrong, I will have too but I have a 6 spd and can kind of modulate my boost/revs. I also have 3.92's which won't mean much from a rolling start.
We are both running canned tunes.
I'm pretty sure we are going to run dead even.
A few weeks back I ran against a friend who has an '02 SS Camaro 6spd with heavy mods (stroked 427 LS1, cam, AFR heads, Fast 92 intake, TB, LT headers, true dual exhaust, 9" rear with 4:10's) and he put down just over 500 rwhp. We ran dead nuts even and I was for sure he was going to take me. He's lighter and I thought that was a done deal. It was a matter of fighting fir traction and who got it first would take the flight lead but neither car would pull away from one another.

Look forward to posting some vids after he gets back from his trip. I know he'll be thinking of his toy while he is away :)

To be continued...

·
Registered
162 Posts
Becker, just take your time with the install. It is very straight forward and there is no reason to rush or cut steps. If you ever have questions PM me and I would be happy to help out.
Thanks for the offer and I have 2.5 months to install my KB, so I'll definitely be taking my time. I've read the manual 5 times at least.

808srt8: Thanks for a great follow-up to drem-on's initial observations.

·
Premium Member
1,045 Posts
Did you decide to get the WOT box? If no, how difficult is it to control the power around town?

·
Banned
642 Posts
There are really cons to installing a blower?!?!?!?

Other than the time it takes (in this case the anticipation of mashing the accelerator pedal to feel the huge difference in perfomance) I did not notice any cons on my install.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Good write ups. I like seeing the pros and cons.

22 hour marathon crikey!
Thanks everybody. I'll post what I can. The more info we share the better this hobby gets, right?

Yep 22 hours and that is not counting from when I left my home and got home. I left my house 8am Saturday morning and did not get home till 8am Sunday! My wife was like you left and returned a day later, LoL! What are friends for, right Mike?

·
Registered
12' SRT Challenger
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
First want to wish all the Mopar's a merry x-mas and thank you for welcoming me to to the forced induction club, trying to answer thedrivabilty question you would not believe how stock it feels and sounds, the lunging that I experienced is because boost is made practically just off idle but seat time will soon take care of that, its just like getting used to a new car. To me its going to figure out the best way to launch, me and my buddy went out to do some test runs and found out only to realize that even at ESP full dissable the computer will override the program to bring the traction back, unloading engine, you need to feather the pedal, and need to practice launching above idle, all of my session the other day was from idle and a full hammer drop.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts