Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sure there is many opinions on this but I'm having a tough time making a decision. I hear the Kenne bell makes more power then the Maggie. But then I hear you can't add other mods like headers or mid pipes with the Kenne bell because there is no deviation from there tuneing?

I have a 2013 srt8 6 speed

Any opinions or thoights on this.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
867 Posts
Your going to have the same issue with the Maggie kit or KB kit. They are canned tunes for stock blocks with no mods except the blower. If you add headers, Cam, etc a custom tune will be needed. If you want to be ultra safe use the kit tune.

You will love either one

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
The kenne bell is a bigger blower from what I remember. It's a better blower too.

I believe the boost levels give more power compared to other blowers. I've recently read the tech articles on the kenne bell website. There's loads of great info on there. They boosted the 2.8l kenne bell to 15psi and got 800whp off a stock 392

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Can anyone explain what the kb liquid cooling is exactly? What makes it different from other systems?

Thanks again

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Can anyone explain what the kb liquid cooling is exactly? What makes it different from other systems?

Thanks again
LC lowers*air and oil temps and allows*the supercharger to develop more boost and rev higher without rotor scuffing. Anything that cools oil increases the life of the gears, bearings and supercharger seals. That’s why oil coolers are so popular for engines, transmissions and differentials. Our competition can spout negative opinions but it is*what it is. And*the benefits of LC and SPE are incrementally greater as boost and supercharger RPM rise.

http://www.kennebell.net/KBWebsite/FAQ_pg/layouts/Nfaq1.htm

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sigh, very hard decision. I really prefer the look of the
Magnuson. But eveyrhing seems to point to kb having a better unit. That being said this is a car driven on the street and not a race car.

·
Registered
157 Posts
If you're not racing, twin-screw superchargers are not the best choice. KB makes a great product, but there are problems that are inherent to the design. Off boost the twin-screw will less efficient and build up heat. That is why they need the water cooling. If you are just going to run it on the street, a good TVS Roots style blower would serve you better.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
If you're not racing, twin-screw superchargers are not the best choice. KB makes a great product, but there are problems that are inherent to the design. Off boost the twin-screw will less efficient and build up heat. That is why they need the water cooling. If you are just going to run it on the street, a good TVS Roots style blower would serve you better.

I dont think the roots style blower keeps air temps lower than a twin screw. Not sure about when off boost the twin gets hotter but when on boost its obvious the twin delivers more dense straight through air while the roots is more turbulent and passes between the sc'er wall and gears forcing them back around and down. That much turbulence will hands down create more heat into the engine. Plus the twin uses less engine power to operate the sc'er.

But im sure the TVS's are great for daily driving. They are a smaller kit I believe and seem very reliable. Its up to the op what hes looking for. Theres thousands of people running both these kits on there daily driver. Just gotta find them and pick they're brain. Ive talked to both and always the kenne bell (TS) guys seem to be the happiest w/o any problems.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you for all the helpful info everyone. I've decided to go with magnuson, for what I'm doing it should be more then enough for my needs.

Thanks again!!:redcap:

·
Registered
157 Posts
I dont think the roots style blower keeps air temps lower than a twin screw. Not sure about when off boost the twin gets hotter but when on boost its obvious the twin delivers more dense straight through air while the roots is more turbulent and passes between the sc'er wall and gears forcing them back around and down. That much turbulence will hands down create more heat into the engine. Plus the twin uses less engine power to operate the sc'er.

But im sure the TVS's are great for daily driving. They are a smaller kit I believe and seem very reliable. Its up to the op what hes looking for. Theres thousands of people running both these kits on there daily driver. Just gotta find them and pick they're brain. Ive talked to both and always the kenne bell (TS) guys seem to be the happiest w/o any problems.
Not to be a dick, but you don't know what you are taking about. Read up on how a twin-screw works, then re-visit your opinion stated in your post.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Not to be a dick, but you don't know what you are taking about. Read up on how a twin-screw works, then re-visit your opinion stated in your post.

I am new to this. But Im not an idiot. I do read up and have been studding twin screw sc'ers for awhile now.

If you will please point out where I dont know what im talking about...

Heres a link I found that pretty much sums it up...

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...=jKSi6lx7eaADvHl5lQv3xQ&bvm=bv.65058239,d.aWc

·
Registered
157 Posts
I am new to this. But Im not an idiot. I do read up and have been studding twin screw sc'ers for awhile now.

If you will please point out where I dont know what im talking about...

Heres a link I found that pretty much sums it up...

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...=jKSi6lx7eaADvHl5lQv3xQ&bvm=bv.65058239,d.aWc
Sure, because a twin-screw is always compressing the air. That means extra work and heat, when off boost they have the high parasitic losses and low adiabatic efficiency. Most won't talk about that, because they like to point at the twin-screw efficiency while in boost. Twin-screw are great for racing, but a good tvs-roots blower will out perform it in most street applications.

If you read the information from the manufactures, they will always paint the best picture of their product.

This is a good book to get the basics of supercharging. He is biased towards the tvs-roots, but he does a good on of explaining the pros and cons of the different systems.

SUPERCHARGING! A guide to superchargers, water injection and a lot more.

Greg Gordon

Never said you are and idiot, just misinformed :)

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
I appreciate your opinon and you prob know more than I do. I been reading up on different kits and choose the kenne bell for myself. But, you did say I dont know what im talking about and to revisit my prior statement. Which I did and still valid. There was nothing falsified in my statement.

I enjoy talking performance as well. Its my passion and im not here to argue or accuse anyone. Just helping a brother out.

Im deff gonna try n get my hands on that book. Is there an online version to read?

Reactions: Elwood617

·
Registered
84 Posts
magnuson

I have a 2013 rt auto with a Magnuson, kooks longtube headers, ordered thru Arrington with custom tune from AJ. 455 rhwp 469 tq. daily driver and no problems taking trips. just took to track for first time since the sc etc & ran 12.69 on street tires. I am loving my Maggie!!

·
Registered
157 Posts
Sorry if I'm coming across abrasively, I don't mean to. I just don't want to see someone buying something that they don't really need because it's perceived as being better.
its obvious the twin delivers more dense straight through air while the roots is more turbulent and passes between the sc'er wall and gears forcing them back around and down. That much turbulence will hands down create more heat into the engine.

This is a common misconception, the air path is not straight through. The air is forced along the length of the screws, and is compressed. It's very turbulent and creates allot of heat. Not a problem on boost and when you have a ton of air cooling the intake charge through the after cooler/heat exchanger. But just driving around town and off boost, this creates more heat and parasitic loss for the engine to overcome. No big deal for racing, because you are always going to be on boost.

Back when Roots blowers were all two lobe and straight, they were horribly inefficient. With the new TVS style they are three and for lobe designs with much higher efficiency ratings. They still won't best a good twin screw in its element, high rpm and on boost. But for general street use, they are hard to beat.

I appreciate your opinon and you prob know more than I do. I been reading up on different kits and choose the kenne bell for myself. But, you did say I dont know what im talking about and to revisit my prior statement. Which I did and still valid. There was nothing falsified in my statement.

I enjoy talking performance as well. Its my passion and im not here to argue or accuse anyone. Just helping a brother out.

Im deff gonna try n get my hands on that book. Is there an online version to read?
I am always learning, and I love discussions about cars and making them faster. I truly did not intend to insult you in anyway. And I should have been clearer in my intentions to help the op make an informed decision.

Oh yeah, I got a Kindle version of the book :)

·
Premium Member
867 Posts

Funny stuff right here!

1. Screw is more efficient than roots design period! Do a google search on the two.
2. The whipple is a screw without the LC and non LC units have been around forever in the ford kits including the super snake.
The LC is just a nice feature to increase bearing life..
3. Off boost, you get better mpg than stock and what do you mean less efficient. KB has a true cold air intake.
4. The Maggie is limited on TB size and boost, I can pull up dozens of threads where guys pull off the Maggie only to replace it with the KB , procharger or turbo.

The Maggie is great for A daily driver but so is the KB. If your going to spend 7 or 8k on a PD blower why limit yourself, if you want to up the boost or the displacement and take it track you can, Three out of the five fastest mopars in the world are running KB.
Mild manors grocery getter too. My wife drives my 850hp KB with the kids around town.

My KB has served all my needs for the last four years, my stock block without issue running 490 whp up to 585whp with cam and later served my forged stroker same blower.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Thank you chukarboy. You couldnt have said it better. Thats all I was trying to say to elwood617

·
Registered
157 Posts
Ahhh, Google as a reference... I'll just ask this, which system has a better adiabatic efficiency under its operating range?
The picture I've attached is a comparison of a Lysholm 2300 twin-screw vs a Magnuson TVS 2300.
Cliff notes: at 10- 13 psi twin-screw = 65%
At 10 - 13 psi TVS = 68-70%

With both making 9-10 psi TVS = 72%, Twin-screw = 64%
At 16psi TVS = 61%, twin-screw = 62%
At 18psi TVS = 58%, twin-screw = 62%
As you can see, as you start pushing more boost the twin-screw comes into its element, but for most of the curve, the TVS will have a distinct advantage.
Not saying that twin-screws are not a great design, KB makes a great product. But, they are not always the best for a street application.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 26 Posts