Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. So I am planning on purchasing a 2.8 Kenne bell for my 5.7 this spring. The kit seems to only come with an 8 pound pulley. I would like to buy a six pound pulley or even less if they make them until I forge the motor. My car will have around 100 k miles on it when it’s done so I don’t want to be too hard on the engine with boost

·
Registered
2010 R/T Classic 6M
1,280 Posts
I couldn't find anything but if they don't have one you could change the crank pulley for one a little bit smaller. Obviously not the best best option tho because now all the accessories will be a little slower. Looks like the 8psi pulley is 3 ½" btw so anything larger would lower boost.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
9,755 Posts
5.7 should not have a problem with 8psi, I know of guys running magnusons at 10 psi on stock internals. Heck throw long tube headers on and you will see boost drop by ~1psi.

If you still want a larger pulley (not sure if you would have to clearance the hood even more - yes the hood must be notched when running a whipple SC), back when I was looking for a 3.1" pulley for my magnuson this guy was willing to make me one with a different offset but it turns out the one he had in stock worked. Anyways, maybe you can reach out to him and see if he can make a pulley for you? But an underdrive crank like JD40 suggest would probably an easier option.

·
Registered
2010 R/T Classic 6M
1,280 Posts
Be careful with aftermarket pulleys tho, kenne bell says anything they don't make will void warranty. Run good gas and maybe go down to the next smaller underdrive pulley if you wanna feel safe.

·
Registered
2010 R/T Classic 6M
1,280 Posts
That's whipple tho, he's looking at a kenne bell so idk if KB would warranty it. Would whipple pulleys work on a KB?

Reactions: ChallyTatum

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for your responses gentlemen, I’m just super scared running my stock engine at 8 pounds. Especially with the miles it will have and how much fun I’d have in it.

·
Registered
2010 R/T Classic 6M
1,280 Posts
Thanks for your responses gentlemen, I’m just super scared running my stock engine at 8 pounds. Especially with the miles it will have and how much fun I’d have in it.
Im in the same boat, gonna run 6lbs until I have enough money for a bottom end

·
Registered
2010 R/T Classic 6M
1,280 Posts

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
9,755 Posts
Thing is if you have too many miles on your 5.7 you won't be able to run drop-in forged pistons. Cheaper to get a short block that is forged than having the original block machined for forged pistons. The problem is not the pistons/rods/crank but the ring gap. Again 5.7 can handle 8psi on a solid tune, appropriately sized injectors and a upgraded fuel pump.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thing is if you have too many miles on your 5.7 you won't be able to run drop-in forged pistons. Cheaper to get a short block that is forged than having the original block machined for forged pistons. The problem is not the pistons/rods/crank but the ring gap. Again 5.7 can handle 8psi on a solid tune, appropriately sized injectors and a upgraded fuel pump.
How many miles would u say is too many??

·
Registered
2010 R/T Classic 6M
1,280 Posts
100k is too many miles. I already have a cam and while I love it, I just want more. I wanna be in the next tier of cars. It never ends tho cus I'm sure after a few months I'll wanna up the boost more and more.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
100k is too many miles. I already have a cam and while I love it, I just want more. I wanna be in the next tier of cars. It never ends tho cus I'm sure after a few months I'll wanna up the boost more and more.
Yea I’d like my 5.7 to put hellcats and Shelby’s to shame

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
9,755 Posts
No...it is less than that. MMX stated <40K but I think one of the tuners on HP said <25K otherwise there is too much slop and can trigger false knock when engine is cold.

Another member was told no more than 20K miles.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
w
No...it is less than that. MMX stated <40K but I think one of the tuners on HP said <25K otherwise there is too much slop and can trigger false knock when engine is cold.

Another member was told no more than 20K miles.
[URLunfurl="true"]https://www.challengertalk.com/threads/drop-in-pistons.101403/post-1374226[/URL]
So you’d have to balance the rotating assembly? The kit I was planning on buying was a kit that had everything including a 6.1 crank and balancing. Would you have to bore and home the cylinder walls too?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts