Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So a few weeks back I had my muffler shop weld in a set of cutouts and wired them in. I had a similar set on my Z06 and loved the sound. On this car I am not sure why but open they just sound awful. I went with the ovals for clearance reasons and put the tips on. I also put some heat shield and exhaust tape in the surrounding areas to do it right. I dont know if they are to close to the manifolds or what but I just dont like the sound. I also feel like my car is slower with them open and sputters. It might be in my head but thats what it feels like. I should have left well enough alone. The Corsa Extreme exhaust sounds perfect. Oh well leason learned maybe the SC needs the back pressure.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Not what I wanted to hear........

I have a set that I had ordered 3 month ago and after waiting for over three months and after I deleted the resonators and loved the sound, I decided to try and cancel them but I was told that I could not and now I have them and was waiting to have them installed and now just reading what you have to say about them now maybe I should try and sell them............

·
Registered
http://www.dragtimes
1,899 Posts
So a few weeks back I had my muffler shop weld in a set of cutouts and wired them in. I had a similar set on my Z06 and loved the sound. On this car I am not sure why but open they just sound awful. I went with the ovals for clearance reasons and put the tips on. I also put some heat shield and exhaust tape in the surrounding areas to do it right. I dont know if they are to close to the manifolds or what but I just dont like the sound. I also feel like my car is slower with them open and sputters. It might be in my head but thats what it feels like. I should have left well enough alone. The Corsa Extreme exhaust sounds perfect. Oh well leason learned maybe the SC needs the back pressure.
I've heard a couple 5.7s and a 392 with open cut outs and wasn't impressed with the sound. One of the 5.7s was catless (150 shot of NO2) and it even sounded worse. I was toying with the idea for the track but too hard to get them pre cat. I know you can loose bottom end tq pre cat but I guess it happens post cat too. I think I'm gonna go catless with the corsa. Should sound OK, at least no drone...
How you liking the KB?

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Serious guys. Its just my experience, but even my buddies who heard my built 5.7 LS6 and now this car with cutouts hands down the Vette sounded better. Not to mention the performance I feel. It could easily be all in my head, but at this point I am going off the infamous butt dyno LOL. I plan to put this car on rollers in the next few weeks and will do a couple runs open and closed to see whats happening.

·
Premium Member
3,337 Posts
I have a maggie on top of a 426 stroker, have kooks long tubes with DMH cutouts and a magnaflow exhaust. With the cutouts closed the system closed it sounds really great, got some drone around 2K rpm. With cutouts open, according to the dyno (same dyno) I lose 17 hp and 9 trq. The cutouts look just like the QTP ones you have. The sound is wild though! I love cracking them open when some saki mower pulls up to me and revs the little fart can.

·
Banned
349 Posts
I am a Mopar newbie and I have seen this mentioned before and it struck me. Switching from old school classic Pontiacs the sound of these new Mopar with the Hemi engines etc. has been a learning curve for me. Could the fact that these engines utilize 2 plugs per cylinder have anything to do with the sound quality you are getting and comparing to with your Vette? I know the sound you are talking about with the Vette as my friend has 8 Vettes and 8 classic Pontiacs and he has cutouts on most of his cars and they always sound great! I am just curious if this has anything to do with why the Hemi cars maybe sound different?

·
Registered
289 Posts
Cutouts,

I had the same cutouts on Challenger with a Kenne Bell, it lost HP and TQ on the dyno, you could notice the loss of power on the street as well. Ended up taking them off because they rattled and leaked.....
They did sound good rolling through a parking lot though LOL.....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts