Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Mumber
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for some opinions.

I am pulling the trigger and buying a used KB 2.8l for my 6.1 Challenger. My question is should I send it to KB for the Liquid Cooled update? This is not a cheap option for me, somewhere around 1100 bucks plus shipping etc.

Here are the pros
Warranty
lower operating temperature (is this enough to warrant the cost?)
rebuilt supercharger

and the cons

No warranty, but I feel confident the unit is in good working condition.
higher operating temperature
drivability when temps go up?

What do you guys think? Is this really making sense at this point or should I put my credit card back in the wallet and have a go as it is?

I don't drive a huge amount. Only fair weather romps down some of the local unpopulated areas and some road trips. I don't race it right now and will probably not use anything other than the stock tune for emissions compliance and to stay away from all the drivetrain upgrades.
I live in NJ so we get all kinds of weather and traffic can be quite congested. We have a fairly high density altitude due to the water around here and the summers can be warm. It's obvious the LC is better but I'm looking for honest opinions about how much the heat will affect the drivability of my car around town.

Thanks in advance for your guys thoughts. This really is appreciated and I don't know where I would be without you guys!

·
Premium Member
1,723 Posts
I'm looking for some opinions.

I am pulling the trigger and buying a used KB 2.8l for my 6.1 Challenger. My question is should I send it to KB for the Liquid Cooled update? This is not a cheap option for me, somewhere around 1100 bucks plus shipping etc.

Here are the pros
Warranty
lower operating temperature (is this enough to warrant the cost?)
rebuilt supercharger

and the cons

No warranty, but I feel confident the unit is in good working condition.
higher operating temperature
drivability when temps go up?

What do you guys think? Is this really making sense at this point or should I put my credit card back in the wallet and have a go as it is?

I don't drive a huge amount. Only fair weather romps down some of the local unpopulated areas and some road trips. I don't race it right now and will probably not use anything other than the stock tune for emissions compliance and to stay away from all the drivetrain upgrades.
I live in NJ so we get all kinds of weather and traffic can be quite congested. We have a fairly high density altitude due to the water around here and the summers can be warm. It's obvious the LC is better but I'm looking for honest opinions about how much the heat will affect the drivability of my car around town.

Thanks in advance for your guys thoughts. This really is appreciated and I don't know where I would be without you guys!
I would install the KB and enjoy it. If you decide the unit needs to be rebuilt later on then I would spend the extra money:thumbsup: Whats the history of the blower?

·
Premium Member
17,155 Posts
I would install the KB and enjoy it. If you decide the unit needs to be rebuilt later on then I would spend the extra money:thumbsup: Whats the history of the blower?
Ditto. Install the unit as is and see how you like it. You can always remove the head unit later and send it to KB for the rebuild.

·
Mumber
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
okay,
I'm kind of feeling the same way. Just fighting off the treacherous "something newer or better" syndrome.

I think the blower has about 1 thousand miles on it and the seller is really a nice guy who I trust.

I doubt there really is any mechanical problems just feeling out the temperature LC option?

·
Banned
1,508 Posts
Enjoy it, If you change your mind later you could have the unit off the car in about an hour or less depending on your skills.. Best of luck..

·
Premium Member
1,723 Posts
okay,
I'm kind of feeling the same way. Just fighting off the treacherous "something newer or better" syndrome.

I think the blower has about 1 thousand miles on it and the seller is really a nice guy who I trust.

I doubt there really is any mechanical problems just feeling out the temperature LC option?
1K miles? Man, that sucker is new. If your running the stock 8lbs no need for the LC unit. If you decide to build a motor and turn up the boost, I would recommend the LC. Enjoy, and GO

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Agree with all above, not even sure if I was ordering it new that I'd add the LC option. Only because I don't plan on going above 8psi, it's awesome HP/torque at that level anyway, and I personally don't like the added hoses/connections under the hood. But if you end up going big than the option starts to make more sense even with the added underhood clutter (for lack of a better word). The non-LC looks stock in the black trim!

·
Mumber
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You guys are right. It's good to hear especially when I'm the one paying the bill. I'm so stoked about putting this SC on I can't hardly wait to get going. Unfortunately it's going to take me some time to put it in. Just had hip surgery and my doctor would be pissed if I screw with my recovery.

Thanks again for your guys input. I'l try and post up all my pics and experiences while putting it together.

BTW
does anybody know if there will be some stuff I need to put this in. Since I'm getting it used I'm sure some of the bits and pieces may be used up or not included cause they can only be used once. I/E for the front clip I heard this needs to be reattached with some rivets.
Just trying to get a shopping list together.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
You'll need some new friction push clips for the front fender liner attachments. Don't get them @ Mopar for $4 each, find them @ your local hardware store for .25 cents each, same exact thing. Also you'll need a new throttle body wire harness extension kit, I think KB sells them for under $20. You'll need a gallon of the Zerex G05 Special coolant for the motor, Napa sells it, and 16 NGK 4306 plugs. 1 gallon of regular antifreeze for the intercooler system and two new Mopar intake manifold gaskets, make sure you order two as they come in singles. That should about do ya!

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Also forgot 1/4" roll pins, 3/4" length I believe, for the crank pinning kit. Presuming your getting the drill kit along with it minus the roll pins that don't come back out. Either way you can get the pins from your local hardware store or direct from KB along with that extension harness!

·
Registered
887 Posts
I don't know as much as these guys, but I'm just thinkin'. . .

If a KB is purchased from KB: Isn't it somehow married to the car/PCM? The only reason I ask is because I know they want numbers off your car.

·
Mumber
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I was concerned too but both the original owner and I have contacted KB and for another 200 bucks they will remarry the unit to my vin and more importantly the pcm cal id.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
4,384 Posts
don't need the LC till you go about 14psi, they don't break I never heard of one broken.
slap it on get some tires and have a blast.

·
Registered
162 Posts
You'll need some new friction push clips for the front fender liner attachments.
I just got these BK 665-3442 from Napa for my KB install. They come 30 in the box and it only took Napa a couple of days to get them. My local body shop supplier said they could get them in about 4 weeks, so Napa is the way to go.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts