Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey Guys,

I have been looking into the 2.8 Liquid Cooled Supercharger by Kenne bell and as I was going down there website I was reading the "Dodge, Chrysler, Hemi Tech Tips" and after that is the " Do Not . . . " section and I was a little surprised when I read this...

"DO NOT change stock cam. Dodge’s Speed Density system relies on vacuum and rpm for engine operation. Cams LOWER vacuum. Your WORST nightmare. Cams are for all out racing only. Very difficult to calibrate for street use."

Can anyone give me some more info? This is the first time I have ever heard changing a cam would be a bad thing...

Thanks

·
Premium Member
2009 Challenger R/T
8,920 Posts
It's not a bad thing KB does like to sell a canned tune with there kits and if you change anything from stock, it would be in your best interest to speak with them and discuss what you are looking to do. I am far from stock and it all comes down to the tuning...

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's not a bad thing KB does like to sell a canned tune with there kits and if you change anything from stock, it would be in your best interest to speak with them and discuss what you are looking to do. I am far from stock and it all comes down to the tuning...
Thats what I would think! Thanks man

So far this is my build list:

Kennebell 8 PSI Mammoth 2.8 Liquid Cooled Supercharger- $7300
McLeod RXT Street Twin Ceramic Clutch- $1,350
Diablosport Tuner with a custom tune- $750
Corsa Performance Xtreme Exhaust- $1300
Headers and Mids?
SRT MAX cam- $485
Inertia Performance Cylinder Heads- $1860
Inertia Performance Forged Pushrods- $135
ProTorque 2800 High Stall Converter?- $600
JET 180 Thermostat?- $38
Manley or Crower Valve Springs- ?
Valve Spring Shims?- ?

If anyone has any other ideas for me or has a sugestion that would be awesome, not looking to go too crazy!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You're not changing the pistons?
So far I have not heard about too many people changing the 6.1 pistons, do you suggest I should?

Im not 100% sure on my list, I would love to hear more opinons/respones on things I shouldnt get or other things that I should get.

It will be a 2010 6.1 SRT8 Manual, can not wait to get her! :)

·
Registered
48 Posts
Almost missed it...You would need either the clutch or the converter, but not both.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Yes u only need the clutch because u have a manual no need for a converter that's for us auto trans guys.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Does anyone know if I need new shims and retainers when I do my SRT MAX cam and Interia Performance heads?

Interia Motorsports says you only need new forged pushrods and Manley or Crower Valve Springs, but I remember reading somewhere that I might need new shims and valve sping retainers because the lift on the cam.

If anyone can give me some info on that it would be awesome!

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
2 things. if you are going thru all this work CHANGE THE PISTONS.. while the 6.1 motor does not have the issues of blown ring lands like the 6.4
it does have it's issues.. Specially anything boost wise over 8lbs.

2. the srt max cam is NOT A GOOD CAM for supercharged cars.. get with inertia since you are buying a cam and looks like heads from them they can grind you a cam for a supercharged application.

just my advise

·
Registered
107 Posts
I agree about the pistons. I mentioned them since it's so easy to raise boost after you get bored with the power and then you'll be wishing you had beefed up the bottom end too.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
2 things. if you are going thru all this work CHANGE THE PISTONS.. while the 6.1 motor does not have the issues of blown ring lands like the 6.4
it does have it's issues.. Specially anything boost wise over 8lbs.

2. the srt max cam is NOT A GOOD CAM for supercharged cars.. get with inertia since you are buying a cam and looks like heads from them they can grind you a cam for a supercharged application.

just my advise
Where do you suggest finding the pistons? And certain brand or type?

I just looked on Inertia Motorsports website and they have the SRT Boost Cam, Im guessing this is the one to go with?

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
yes that would be a good choice.

to be honest.. you would be better off talking to someone that will build you a complete engine. dave or chris at modern muscle is a good place to start.. they offer complete engines and if you rather they have the pistons you are needing

give them a call.
https://www.modernmuscleperformance.com/

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
We make the drop in 6.1 Pistons also have you looked at the new Whipple yet? hands down the best blower on the market puts the KB To shame IMO.
I have looked into both the Kenne Bell and Whipple and I think the KB would fit me better.

I will add your 6.1L Drop In Forged Rod And Pistons Power Package to my list!

Do you guys think I should change anything or add anything else to my list?

Kennebell 8 PSI Mammoth 2.8 Liquid Cooled Supercharger- $7300
McLeod RXT Street Twin Ceramic Clutch- $1,350
Corsa Performance Xtreme Exhaust- $1300
SRT Boost Cam- $485
Forged Rod and Pistons Power Package- $1,550
Inertia Performance Forged Pushrods- $135
Diablosport Tuner with a custom tune- $?

Things I'm not sure if I should get:
JET 180 Thermostat?- $38
Inertia Performance Cylinder Heads?- $1860
Headers and Mids?
Valve Springs?
Valve Spring Shims?

I want to be safe and not worry about my bottom end or rear end so I don't really want to go over 550 RWHP but I would love to be somewhere up there! :)

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
how many pounds of boost are you planning on running? you never said.. if you run say 10 lbs depending on certain things that will put you over 600 rhp.. i would plan on 1400hp dss axles.. and a drive shaft. at least the axles for sure..

are you planning on doing the motor yourself? or someone in wi to do it for you?

if it was me.. i would talk to modern muscle.. get the pistons and rods.. and have them spec a cam for you to go with the rest of the work.. and i would ask them about heads..

I am always a fan of ONE PLACE to buy the package.. i don't like pc mailing this and that together. i have no issues with inertia what so ever.. they seam to build quaility stuff.. but i just know modern muscles reputation and they are there to help.

with that being said.. it don't matter who you use.. PLAN AHEAD make sure you get what you need and want.. don't do things twice.. trust me.

if you are doing the pistons cam and heads you should't need valvesprings as the heads should be complete? i would think but i could be wrong.

either way when you change a cam. always change the springs.. regardless.

chris

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
how many pounds of boost are you planning on running? you never said.. if you run say 10 lbs depending on certain things that will put you over 600 rhp.. i would plan on 1400hp dss axles.. and a drive shaft. at least the axles for sure..

are you planning on doing the motor yourself? or someone in wi to do it for you?

if it was me.. i would talk to modern muscle.. get the pistons and rods.. and have them spec a cam for you to go with the rest of the work.. and i would ask them about heads..

I am always a fan of ONE PLACE to buy the package.. i don't like pc mailing this and that together. i have no issues with inertia what so ever.. they seam to build quaility stuff.. but i just know modern muscles reputation and they are there to help.

with that being said.. it don't matter who you use.. PLAN AHEAD make sure you get what you need and want.. don't do things twice.. trust me.

if you are doing the pistons cam and heads you should't need valvesprings as the heads should be complete? i would think but i could be wrong.

either way when you change a cam. always change the springs.. regardless.

chris
Thanks a lot Chris!

I am glad you told me about Modern Muscle ( all I knew of was Inertia, High Horsepower, and Speedlogix )

I am comfortable with 8-9 PSI to start off with but like i said I don't want to stress out the bottom end or rear end YET >:) may want more in the future

I do not plan to do this myself either, I have heard great things about Tim @ Mr.Norms Garage (which is very close to me) , I have not talked to him yet but hopefully he might see this and be able to give me his opinion on my build list so far...

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
No problem

If you are talking about Tim Barth he no longer works for mr norms

He did have his own shop at one time and then had to move it
I think he is doing some work out of a shop at his house now but my information is very very limited on him

There is a shop in man called Sheridan performance they guys name is Denny he does good work for motor builds you could get the parts from modern muscle and have them ship to him or you may consider a complete short block from modern muscle

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
945 Posts
Tim's shop ( MPH Racing) is still around and doing the installs for Tim, he mostly does the tuning now under ( Barth Tuning) located closer to you now as he is near the border to WI, Tim is one of the best at tuning the KB cars.........let me know if you need his information to contact him...

Reactions: buckwheat
1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.