Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a 6 channel amp. For my setup I have the dash 3.5” JBL’s on channels 1/2. Front door factory woofers on channels 3/4. And Kicker CSC 6x9’s On the rear deck.

I’m having some issues with this unit. First one mailed to me was blown. 2nd one seems OK but channels 5 and 6 didn’t sound great on my rear deck. Very little bass. So I moved the Kickers to channels 3 and 4 and it sounds much better.

So did I get another bad amp. Seems hard to get 2 bad amps in a row. Dealer claims they both are brand new and not return items.

Just wondering about others experience With this unit ?? Amp sounds a bit ‘bright’ but hoping that can be adjusted out. I love the feature set having full control of each channel and it’s freq settings, HPF, LPF, band pass, speaker timing etc. But I haven’t done much yet given all the install delays.

·
Registered
358 Posts
I have this amp.. all the adjustments are a blessing and a curse.

I downloaded a real time analyzer, and picked up a cheap mic for the cell phone just for the purpose. after using that I was close, then tweaked for my ear.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have this amp.. all the adjustments are a blessing and a curse.

I downloaded a real time analyzer, and picked up a cheap mic for the cell phone just for the purpose. after using that I was close, then tweaked for my ear.
Steved13— I read your posts on the other thread. Thx good stuff. Your running full range 6x9’s in the front doors right? I think I may try that too. And maybe just run a sub off bridged channels 5/6 - ditch the rear 6x9’s.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Steved13— I read your posts on the other thread. Thx good stuff. Your running full range 6x9’s in the front doors right? I think I may try that too. And maybe just run a sub off bridged channels 5/6 - ditch the rear 6x9’s.
The sound stage should be in front of you, so the rears just end up being fill,, if set up that way the lower leve makes them sound weak. yes full range everwhere really except the sub of course. Just use the high passes but I have the set for the range of the speaker...IE speaker is 60-20k I will heva the high pass set as near 60 as possible.

·
Premium Member
The Bacon Hauler (‘12 Cop Charger)
9,433 Posts
Sounds like your learning the same lesson I did - the rear deck is a terrible place for a good set of speakers. That’s why I ended up going the single midbass route back there. All it has to do is fill in between sub and door handoff, and that’s a job that midbass can do very well.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Sounds like your learning the same lesson I did - the rear deck is a terrible place for a good set of speakers. That’s why I ended up going the single midbass route back there. All it has to do is fill in between sub and door handoff, and that’s a job that midbass can do very well.
And even if you tune them to get them to sound the best they can, then when you put the system together they are far too prominent.

I used to have excellent ears. over the years my hearing has gone way down hill. Between hearing frequency missing, and tinitus affecting most of the rest to various levels at various times on various days, I get it tuned and then another time it doesn't sound right. I may have it professionnally tuned and then leave it.

·
Premium Member
The Bacon Hauler (‘12 Cop Charger)
9,433 Posts
And even if you tune them to get them to sound the best they can, then when you put the system together they are far too prominent.

I used to have excellent ears. over the years my hearing has gone way down hill. Between hearing frequency missing, and tinitus affecting most of the rest to various levels at various times on various days, I get it tuned and then another time it doesn't sound right. I may have it professionnally tuned and then leave it.
The biggest variable I encounter nowadays with a nice system I think I have tuned just right is the wildly inconsistent quality of the various sound/music sources I consume in any given day.

If I’m listening to a CD or some of my MP3s on a USB, the system sounds fine.

Then I might listen to a streaming station through Radio.com or Tune-In, and the quality goes up and down depending on which station I choose.

Then I switch to some podcasts I’ve downloaded and the quality shifts again.

Amazon Music is similarly varied - if the songs are streamed then they are high(er) quality), but the ones I download within the app are just standard quality.

I have just about given up trying to find a happy medium

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The biggest variable I encounter nowadays with a nice system I think I have tuned just right is the wildly inconsistent quality of the various sound/music sources I consume in any given day.

If I’m listening to a CD or some of my MP3s on a USB, the system sounds fine.

Then I might listen to a streaming station through Radio.com or Tune-In, and the quality goes up and down depending on which station I choose.

Then I switch to some podcasts I’ve downloaded and the quality shifts again.

Amazon Music is similarly varied - if the songs are streamed then they are high(er) quality), but the ones I download within the app are just standard quality.

I have just about given up trying to find a happy medium
Man so true. Every source has a diff quality. I use Apple ITunes and it’s hit or miss. My go to song for tuning is Jack of Speed by Steely Dan. And for bass I like to use some Big Head Todd music.

Steved13. Does your Kenwood amp just run super hot to touch? After 30 min at 50-75% mine is just on fire. And the little Maestro box is toasty too! Wtf

1 - 8 of 8 Posts