Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I had just driven home from work adn had turned the car off. I leaned over to adjust the pass side mirror and the car started. I must have mashed it in my pocket. Anyway, I pushed the dash button to shut it off and it said, "Key FOB not detected". It wouldn't start with the dash button. It would start with the FOB, but it would die when I let off the brake. What's up?

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Die when you lift off the brake? That's odd, there's a RRT for the key not found...but make sure they have new batts to...to me it sounds like bad batterys.

·
Premium Member
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've only had the car 2 months, and I got it new.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Just a guess but I think it may be part of the antitheft part of the remote start system. To keep the car from being driven off after it is remotly started.

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
My fob slowly got worse and worse. Turns out it is damaged and needs to be replaced under warranty. (And I did replace battery to rule this out) If you seem same pattern, try your other and see if it has no problems.

·
Super Moderator
13,947 Posts
The first year, I had the "Key Not Found" problem. After a re-flash at the dealer, it has worked perfectly.

·
Registered
88 Posts
2010 SRT8 purchased last April. Stopped by the store last night, and when I got back in the car I received the "key fob not detected" error. I was close to home so I had the SO drop off the other key fob.

Same error, and now I'm getting pissed. It wasn't clear in the user manual to pop off the keyless button and use the key, so I called the dealer where I bought the car.

Short story I got was that something else could be interfering with the signal, but I got the same results when I got home.

Not looking forward to taking the car to the dealer for something like this. I can switch out the key fob batteries, but I doubt that both would fail at the same time so I don't expect this to fix anything.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Afternoon update, put new battery in key fob. No difference, no start. Pushing in the button for a few seconds displays key fob damaged message. I was hoping to avoid a trip to the dealer, but it looks like I gotta go.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Key Fob Update

Afternoon update, put new battery in key fob. No difference, no start. Pushing in the button for a few seconds displays key fob damaged message. I was hoping to avoid a trip to the dealer, but it looks like I gotta go.

Update on my key fob failure: Dealer replaced one key fob, receiver module, flashed software and like magic everything works.

Currently 2 for 2 on warranty claims and repairs. Local dealer is taking care of business so life is good!

·
Registered
3,532 Posts
I'm getting this key fob not found message alot lately. If they flash my car to fix this, will the flash change my calid or anything that could mess my stock tune up so the DS tunes don't work?

·
Premium Member
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Mine does this a couple of times a month. I just reach in my pocket and wiggle the fob and it suddenly works.

·
Premium Member
109 Posts
Mine does this a couple of times a month. I just reach in my pocket and wiggle the fob and it suddenly works.
Have the same issue witht he key fob for my 2009 SRT8. Can wiggle or push the buttons on the fob and it seems to wake up. Does not happen all of the time and have not had the taking your foot off the brake and the engine stall symptoms however. Mentioned the "Key FOB Not Detected" to the dealer on my last oil change and they check the battery which was ok. Dealer told me that other Chrysler owners and not only Challenger owners have mentioned the same problem and explained Chrysler is aware of the problem and working on a fix. Asked me to check with him on my next service visit to see if Chrysler has determined a fix.

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
Well now my 2nd (and was good) fob crashed hard.
It opened doors and popped trunk. Then got KNF. THEN... the fob does not work at all on door locks etc. When I started manually, got a message it was damaged. May be just the battery but would of expected intermittent problems as it drained down. (Which I did not get) I guess a trip to dealer is on order as I ran out of good working fobs. :disgust:

·
Premium Member
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It's starting to do it more often now. It'd be great if Chrysler had a fix for it.

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
Well now my 2nd (and was good) fob crashed hard.
It opened doors and popped trunk. Then got KNF. THEN... the fob does not work at all on door locks etc. When I started manually, got a message it was damaged. May be just the battery but would of expected intermittent problems as it drained down. (Which I did not get) I guess a trip to dealer is on order as I ran out of good working fobs. :disgust:
it appears it was just a battery in my 2nd fob as it seems fine now after a new battery.

·
Registered
0 Posts
2011 challenger fob's suck

I have had constant trouble with my 2011 challenger fob's and the not detected issue. I've complained to the dealer several times but they just replace the batteries in the fobs and it works for a short time then the issue returns. Now four years later and 40,000 miles the issue has gotten really bad to the point I can not get in my car at all unless I use my key and that sets off the alarm when used. I'm a IT tech and began troubleshooting the issue myself. Long and short of it the problem is the battery in the fob and the design of the fob. Open the fob and the circuit board is on one half and the battery on the other. This is the issue because the battery requires contact points for the + Pos and the - Neg connections when the fob is put back together. Add that the contacts sides are on a rubber facing and now the issue reveals itself. The two contacts required get mashed and the + pos and - neg lose contact so the battery no longer works even if new one installed. The fix, I installed two small springs where the contacts are. Try and use a copper spring and most auto, hardware or hobby shops sells them. You need one around 1/8 diameter and one around 1/4 diameter. Cut them down so they only stick up about 1/8 inch above the existing posts. Put the two fob halves back together and now no matter how much the rubber face is pressed the battery contacts will work. The fob design is horrible and the battery should always be included and attached to the circuit board not done in two halves relying on the two contacts to complete the connection. Very unreliable design and I hope this helps fix the issue for those just trying to go about their daily business with as little headache as possible. Take the time and insert the springs and for really quick fix put foil paper on each contact. Be sure to not cross connect those + pos and - neg and short circuit the battery as it may ruin the circuit board and destroy the fob all together.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts