Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One fob on my 08 Challenger works fine.The other fob will open the doors and the trunk. But to start the car I have pull out the push button and install the fob. Will I need to replace both fobs, or just the bad one? Is the dealer the best place to get this done?

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I replaced the battery when the first happened.

·
Super Moderator
15,981 Posts
if you have to replace the fob, just the malfunctioning one.

I've tried the "relearn" by inserting the fob into the port, start engine. Then try to do keyless start by re-installing the push button.

If that doesn't work, its probably replacing the fob to remedy it

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I checked the price of a new fob; between $250 and $300.

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
New fob batteries could have been sitting in a warehouse for the past 6-7yrs before amazon dropped them off..lol.
Fobs do go bad, but its more common for the fob batt to be bad or going bad.
Try swapping out to another, new quality fob batt. Dont assume 1 new one, was actually good. verify.
Unplug the car battery as well for 5 mins, then reconnect (resets everything elect, including fob detection), then see if that gets you back to normal.

Also, fobs can collect all sorts of dust, debris, lint and crap inside of them over time. You can pop them apart &/or use a can of canned air to blow it out. Both of these suggestions have worked for me in the past when a fob was spuratic.

Stay away from cheap replacement fobs, (like those on ebay, etc) they may work for a while but all of them eventually will fail. Buy OEM, its worth the cost. There is a limit to how many can be cloned to one car during its lifetime, I dont recall exactly, but for dodge, I think its 5 max, so this isnt something you want to have done, unless easier fixes fail to correct the problem, as this then can seriously limit future headroom in the system, should you really break or loose one.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts