Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings all! Just picked up my new (to me) and first time ever owned 2017 R/T M6. Two only issues, dealer only had one key fob. The second, no owner’s manual.
Got quoted around $250 from dealer for new & programmed fob. Is there a les expensive route? I’ll pay it, no biggie. But would prefer a less wallet-intrusive avenue.
Same goes for the owners manual.
Thanks!

·
Registered
13,736 Posts
Major red flag. Whoever has that other key fob can simply walk up to your car, get in and drive off. Not sure If the car can be recoded with new fobs or not but I'd look into it.

On the owners manual there's a link at the bottom of the dodge website to order one or call customer service at 1-800-423-6343 and make your request. Believe it is three books that you will receive, the manual, uconnect and warranty.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
13,473 Posts
You can buy a new key fob off E-Bay for around $40 and have it programmed by your local locksmith. You'll probably save $150.

If you want additional security, you can consider a Ravelco anti-theft device. Once installed, you cannot start the car, even with a keyfob, unless the unit's plug is inserted. I have one on my SRT and it really brings peace to your mind.

http://www.ravelco.com/

·
Registered
384 Posts
you should have had the dealership replace the fob as part of the deal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Bought it at an Audi dealership. They’re reaching out to the prior owner.

Do the eBay fobs le Amazon fobs work as well as the factory from the dealer, or are they the same?

·
Registered
148 Posts
Hi Cuda340

You can buy a new key fob off E-Bay for around $40 and have it programmed by your local locksmith. You'll probably save $150.
My 2012 SRT owners handbook says you need a four digit PIN to be able to programme new keys to your car, is this not the case? Living in the U.K and not having the PIN it would appear programming new keys to my car could be difficult

Regards

Dereck

·
Super Moderator
13,473 Posts
Hi Cuda340

My 2012 SRT owners handbook says you need a four digit PIN to be able to programme new keys to your car, is this not the case? Living in the U.K and not having the PIN it would appear programming new keys to my car could be difficult Regards
Dereck
That's correct. You can get the PIN number from your dealer. As the owner, you are entitled to it.

·
Registered
2016 Dodge Challenger SXT
26 Posts
After loosing my key fob and then finding I washed it, I went into a panic on what would be involved in dealing with a lost key fob. So far, I have found out that if you only have one and loose it, you will need a "Automotive Locksmith" to deal with it. Onsite service runs $150 to $400, they will be able to deal with the situation and should provide you two completely programmed key fobs at the end.

Now if you're lucky enough to find it or still have one, here are the options.. Dealer option is just too expensive to deal with really. Going to a locksmith with your vehicle and original fob is easiest. The cost of the fob will be somewhere between $30 to $50 and then the programming fee, which is whatever they charge for the service.

Last option, buy on amazon- Key Fob-Replacement 2016 SXT - Currently, I have not yet found the programming step by step as yet.. I have found information to say that you can program the replacement fob if you still have one working fob.. If I find the instructions on this, I will post to this thread.

·
Registered
2016 Dodge Challenger SXT
26 Posts
Alright, here is what I have found out. You will need to have a replacement key fob programmed by an Automotive Locksmith-The attached video shows why. I am sure a locksmith will still be cheaper than the dealer.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
13,617 Posts
You'd need new physical keys cut too if you want the backup keys

A Guy

1 - 12 of 12 Posts