Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys, Looking for some advice - Just picked up a 2010 Challenger RT for my son - I have both of the original key fob (5 button) which came with the vehicle when new - I would like to have a additional key fob as a spare. Car has remote start (5 button fob) - If i purchase the correct fob online, can I program it myself without a visit to the dealer. Are there any identifying info on the fobs (FCC info im guessing) that would ensure I am purchasing the correct fob. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks to all and Happy New Year!

Ed

·
Premium Member
460 Posts
I think this is what you're looking for. You do need two working fobs.

Step-by-Step How To Programming Instructions:

INSERT the first working FOBIK remote key into Ignition.
TURN Ignition to the ON position for at least three (3) to fifteen (15) seconds.
TURN Ignition to the OFF position and REMOVE key.
WITHIN fifteen (15) seconds, INSERT second working FOBIK remote key into Ignition.
TURN Ignition to the ON position.
After ten (10) seconds a chime will sound and the Immobilizer Warning Lamp will flash indicating entry into Programming Mode.
TURN Ignition OFF and REMOVE second working FOBIK remote key.
WITHIN 60 seconds INSERT NEW FOBIK remote key into Ignition.
TURN Ignition to the ON position.
After ten (10) seconds a chime will sound and the Immobilizer Warning Lamp will flash indicating successful programming of that remote.
TURN Ignition to the OFF position and REMOVE key.
REPEAT Steps 8-11 for any additional FOBIK remote keys to be programmed to your Vehicle.
Test all remotes. Programming is now complete. The remote and key are now both programmed.

·
Premium Member
460 Posts
I'm no expert on the 2010 fobs, but when I bought a new one for my 2015, I did open it and used the FCC ID to locate a new one. I see them on eBay and Amazon all the time. WAY cheaper than the dealer. Unfortunately, there is no self programming on the later fobs.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, I have found this on a web search as well - Unfortunately this doesn't seem to work as advertised - Thanks for the help!

·
Premium Member
460 Posts
Dang. I've seen people say it worked, and some say it didn't. I wonder if FCA updated the security on some models to stop allowing this.

When you do this, do any of the lights and chimes do what it is describing?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Tried it in first detent (ign on i believe) and again in the second detent (run). Same results - No lights or chimes at all - Gonna check in with a local Auto locksmith and see if he can shed any light on this - Appreciate you input! - Thanks, Ed

·
Premium Member
3,031 Posts
If your Challenger has the keyless go the instructions will not work. Not sure if you don't have keyless go.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Hi Waumo - Thanks for the response - Im old school car car, so trying to catch up on new technology - Keyless go feature - Not sure - The challenger has a 5 Button FOBIK, Remote start as well as push button start/stop - The doors do not unlock automatically if I approach door and touch door handle as does my Ford Fusion - Is this a function which needs to be enabled on the Challenger - Perhaps you can school me on the Keyless go feature.

Just located owners manual online - Yes, apparently the car does have the keyless go feature as it does possess the start/stop button in the dash! - Seeing that, does this mean I am at the mercy of my local Dodge dealer for get a additional key programmed?

Thanks very much,

Ed

·
Premium Member
3,031 Posts
Hi Waumo - Thanks for the response - Im old school car car, so trying to catch up on new technology - Keyless go feature - Not sure - The challenger has a 5 Button FOBIK, Remote start as well as push button start/stop - The doors do not unlock automatically if I approach door and touch door handle as does my Ford Fusion - Is this a function which needs to be enabled on the Challenger - Perhaps you can school me on the Keyless go feature.

Just located owners manual online - Yes, apparently the car does have the keyless go feature as it does possess the start/stop button in the dash! - Seeing that, does this mean I am at the mercy of my local Dodge dealer for get a additional key programmed?

Thanks very much,

Ed
Yes the dealer - or some owners have reported that they found a local locksmith that could program the fobik for less than the dealer.

Back in 2009 my dealer programmed a third fobik for no charge. However the Keyless Go feature did not work on the third fobik. I found some information that indicated you could only have 2 Keyless Go fobiks programmed to a given vehicle. Not sure if that is true. It did work for all other functions including it would start the car if inserted in the dash after removing the push button.

·
Super Moderator
16,216 Posts

Thanks very much,

Ed
The Keyless Go feature on the '08 - '10 only had the Push Button start - no proximity door handles or trunk release. You'd have to use the fob buttons to lock / unlock or open trunk.
[it was optional on R/T models for '09/'10, while it was std. on SRT8 models]

The '11+ updated the Keyless Go so that you hand proximity entry with the door handles and trunk - it was made std from '11 onward on all trim lines.

Your best bet is to have dealer program the fobs.

The WIN module will allow a total of 8 fobs programmed to it over its lifetime; after that the WIN module would have to be replaced - its an anti-theft feature to prevent cloning fobs for a stolen vehicle.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts