Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to lock the doors on my 18 R/T Scat Pack and the Fob wouldn't work. I tried the other Fob and the same thing. The doors will unlock and lock if you pull up on the door handle to unlock or push the button to lock. Then, after you do this, the fob will work but once you walk away from the car, they won't work. I will take the fobs to a local part store and see if the batteries are good tomorrow. The batteries shouldn't really be defective as I only drive the car maybe one day per week.
Anyone have any ideas as I really don't want to have to take the car to the dealership and leave it.

Thank you,

Bob

·
Registered
2018 Hellcat. 2017 Scatpack.
2,417 Posts
very good chance fob batts are down, maybe not dead (yet) but certainly fobs are loosing range.
Both batts going bad at the same time is common..since they were probably installed at the same time initially.

Reactions: Bob Ricewasser

·
Premium Member
2021 JEEP Wrangler Unlimited Willys 4X4
2,183 Posts
My 2018 T/A will do the same thing, if not driven for a longer period of time. It’s like the entire car goes into a “deep sleep”. Mine is garaged, and left unlocked, and after it’s driven some....everything resumes as normal.

Sorry I have no explanations for you, though....

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
4,203 Posts
Been about a week or more ago went to use my Hellcat. While everything worked normally I noticed a low key battery message on the dash. Went back in the house to quickly research what battery was needed. Left the key with the low battery and grabbed the other red key. This key did not produce the low battery message.

At Best Buy -- which I happened to be near as I was running errands -- I bought a package of two batteries. CR2032 IIRC is the battery number.

Changed the battery in the fob that produced the low battery message. Left it at home and was using the other red key which so far had not produced any low key battery warning message.

Then a day or two later on a bit on a whim I had the car in for a service. As he was setting up the service the SA noticed the low battery warning on the data that was pulled from the car.. He could tell it was not the battery I had with me. He quickly changed that key's battery.

Got the car serviced. Went home. Read online where if one key has a low battery the rest will soon follow suite. Thought this interesting.

Then a day after the service I traded in the Hellcat for a new car. Had the black key with me -- but left one red key at home -- unbeknownst to me at the time it slipped out of my pocket and was in the recliner. Back at the daeler I tried I tried the black key and its battery was dead.

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
Wow. The 09 R/T was recently sold with both original fobs and batteries. One had been washed and dried in laundry with no ill effects. Original battery in trunk too.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
very good chance fob batts are down, maybe not dead (yet) but certainly fobs are loosing range.
Both batts going bad at the same time is common..since they were probably installed at the same time initially.
I am going to replace the batteries today. The auto parts stores near me no longer have the fob testers any longer.

·
Premium Member
2,989 Posts
Just for insurance, I carry an extra FOB battery in my glove box. Just in case I'm far away from my second FOB, and FOB #1 has a dead battery.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My 2018 T/A will do the same thing, if not driven for a longer period of time. It’s like the entire car goes into a “deep sleep”. Mine is garaged, and left unlocked, and after it’s driven some....everything resumes as normal.

Sorry I have no explanations for you, though....
Thank you for your reply. I was thinking the same thing as I leave the car parked in the garage, unlocked, for at least a week. This time, it has been almost two weeks. I do charge the battery once a week on a maintenance charger.

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
4,203 Posts
Wow. The 09 R/T was recently sold with both original fobs and batteries. One had been washed and dried in laundry with no ill effects. Original battery in trunk too.
Key fob battery life was very good with my keys for previous (not Dodge) cars. I think the difference is the "keyless" entry that my Dodge cars have. I noted with my Hellcat when washing the car as I moved around the car the car would obviously "come alive". This almost certainly required communication with the keybob in my pocket.

With my others cars to unlock the door required a brief key button push. The security check before engine start did not require any battery energy from the keyfob's battery. As a result these keys went years on a battery. I never ran one through the wash but bet they would have come out unscathed after.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I replaced the batteries in both FOBs with C2032 lithium batteries that have a 10 year life span. All seems to be good now & both FOBs locked & unlocked the car. I tried to look up the procedure & find the battery replacement # in the owner’s manual. All to no avail. I found a couple of U-Tube videos that did the trick.

·
Registered
16,214 Posts
Just for insurance, I carry an extra FOB battery in my glove box. Just in case I'm far away from my second FOB, and FOB #1 has a dead battery.
No reason for this. You can still start the car with a dead FOB battery.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
What surprised me is that both FOB batteries died at the same time. They were probably 3 years old as the car was built on Jan 2nd or 3rd of 2018. Two of my other vehicles of the same make will add extra chirps if the FOB batteries are weak. I have an '06 Honda Civic and one FOB that I rarely use still has the original battery & works fine. There was no warning at all with the Challenger. I am just thankful that I don't have to go to the dealer and I also want to thank everyone who replied to my post. Another lesson learned.

·
Premium Member
2021 JEEP Wrangler Unlimited Willys 4X4
2,183 Posts
Then a day after the service I traded in the Hellcat for a new car.
Can‘t leave us all hanging like a prom date....give us the details on the new ride.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I bought my "18 Challenger R/T Scat Pack after seeing an F8 Green example at the LA Auto Show in the later part of 2017. I had to have F8 Green to accompany my F5 Green 69 Charger. The Challenger was a 75 birthday present to myself as I wanted a performance car one more time and the Challenger hasn't disappointed me.

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
The newer models, probably more specifically, 15's and later have entirely new electrical architecture, they have significantly more elec draw/demands than the previous years. This includes fobs that constantly hand shake with the car when it is within range of each other. None of my 15 & newer dodge models get more than a year out of a fob batt.

In addition & in regards to vehicle batt, the highest trim levels, now "talk" to dodge home base on a constant, the car additionally, talks to things like low jack, emergancy assistance, has its own wi-fi hotspot, alarm sensors, etc. Even when the car is off, these things are not. All of this draws down power over time, if the car isnt driven. Add to this things like park cams, or certain other peripherals that maybe plugged into a cabin power supply, that are not truly asleep post vehicle shut down, and things bleed down quickly.
Thats why a batt tender & spare fob batt or two in the glove box, are a must have.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
26,711 Posts
I keep my fobs in Faraday pouches (an old Altoids tin would work), no constant communication with my car, which is within range where parked. I did replace both batteries last year, because they are cheap, and insurance. $1.95 for 2 Sony batteries dated 2029

A Guy

Reactions: hemi4us

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
We now keep the 3500 dually, scatty pack & hellcat fobs in privacy pockets, in the safe, until needed.
Not because of batt loss concerns, but due to the ability for certain, new portable softwares, to detect, ID & clone the key fob signals, from down the street from our house...

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
26,711 Posts
The clone issue to steal cars was why I got the Fob Guards originally

A Guy

·
Registered
116 Posts
Those are better than most German car keys. Those never last me more than 6 moMoths. I also have an older ‘06 Mini that I wont get rid of. If you have driven a Cooper S you’ll understand. Anyway, that is the ingenious system. The keys have a lithium battery in them and it charges when plugged into the ignition. Took twelve years and 95K for one of them to finally go bad. You would think it was terrible to replace but cheaper than the Dodge keys. That key fob, with programming, and new center cut key, cost me $115 out the door.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts