Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Someone told me the other day they would need a "key" or special tool of some kind to change the transmission fluid in my 2010 6 speed, saying that that is how they get me to go to the dealership for the fluid change. Never heard of this on any of this forum, any truth or explanantion to this? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
388 Posts
Hey Ace

You can talk with Ken (heartlandvideo) on Sunday about this, he just changed his own in the garage. He never mentioned needing anything special to do it.

CYA Sunday morning in Waller!!!

Chuck

·
Premium Member
7,304 Posts
The automatic cars don't have a dipstick. What you need is the tool (it looks like a dipstick) that measures the temperature and shows the fluid level. I'd bet this is what that someone was thinking about when they mentioned "key".

·
Registered
419 Posts
6 speed's don't need a key... the transmission plugs use a square drive setup and ratchet and/or extension is all that is needed to remove those.

·
Super Moderator
15,965 Posts
There's a threaded drain plug in the body of the 6-speed Tremec - it either is a large Allen wrench size or a metric Allen style head. BTW - the Tremec uses Mopar ATF+4 lubricant - not gear oil.

Nothing exotic there. I think the Getrag 226 rear diff uses a similar drain/fill plug as well. Theres even a bottom facing drain plug on the Getrag to make the job easier, in addition to the side fill plug.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
The AUTOMATIC wire does not measure temperature. You need a scanner to get the trans. temp. and then measure the fluid on the stick per a chart of the temp.v.level on the wire dipstick.

The pipe plug is a female hex. You can stop almost any Snap-On truck or even pick it up at an auto parts store. Same as used on old VW transmissions. I also used it on my 96 Ram 5 speed gear box.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
The AUTOMATIC wire does not measure temperature. You need a scanner to get the trans. temp. and then measure the fluid on the stick per a chart of the temp.v.level on the wire dipstick.

The pipe plug is a female hex. You can stop almost any Snap-On truck or even pick it up at an auto parts store. Same as used on old VW transmissions. I also used it on my 96 Ram 5 speed gear box.
The OP has a 6-speed.......not an auto.

·
Registered
419 Posts
There's a threaded drain plug in the body of the 6-speed Tremec - it either is a large Allen wrench size or a metric Allen style head. BTW - the Tremec uses Mopar ATF+4 lubricant - not gear oil.

Nothing exotic there. I think the Getrag 226 rear diff uses a similar drain/fill plug as well. Theres even a bottom facing drain plug on the Getrag to make the job easier, in addition to the side fill plug.
Hmmm... mine is square and not Allen (hex). I wonder if they used different plugs, or just what they had on hand. The rear axle is Allen on mine.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey Ace

You can talk with Ken (heartlandvideo) on Sunday about this, he just changed his own in the garage. He never mentioned needing anything special to do it.

CYA Sunday morning in Waller!!!

Chuck
Thanks Chuck, I'll do that, and thanks to all responders for the advice, it didnt sound right to me...now I can school the kids at the Jiffy lube:bigthumb:

See y'all TOC's Sunday morning, looking VERY forward to it!

·
Super Moderator
15,965 Posts
Thanks Chuck, I'll do that, and thanks to all responders for the advice, it didnt sound right to me...now I can school the kids at the Jiffy lube:bigthumb:
Somehow, using Challenger and Jiffy Lube in the same sentence disturbs me...

I have too many horror stories of co-workers bad experiences (stripped drain plugs, filters not tightened correctly) to even think of a quick-lube place work on my cars.

Perhaps they're more experienced in your area, but here in Oregon (New Jersey is the same) we can't pump our own fuel, due to the state laws.

There's something like a dozen vehicles per day state-wide (in Oregon) where some pump jockey put gasoline into a diesel engined vehicle and caused very expensive damage...
these guys to this hundreds of times a day...diesel fillers have different color fill caps and don't have the restrictors like unleaded gasoline vehicles have...simple observation, but they don't practice it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts