Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I was wondering if you know if you could get a Challenger without the key fob, but with a normal key, that you can start it with. because I don't really thrust in the key fob, since the one I had on my mercedes got a dead battery and I couldn't start my car anymore.
I hope you can help me.

·
Banned
675 Posts
I don't think you can. The key only works to get into the doors if your battery is dead.

·
Super Moderator
14,139 Posts
You cannot simply have a new key made at a hardware store like a house or garage key. Dodge chip keys have been developed to protect your car against theft; your car will not start unless the key has a computerized chip in it. Additionally, your Dodge remote is programmed to work specifically with your car.

The way transponder key programming works involves a microchip that resides in the top of the key. This microchip has a serial number, which a transponder key programmer, has made unique to that key. The electronic/engine control units (ECU) will send a request to the vehicle for it to validate the serial number. If the car doesn’t recognize any serial number within its set of confirmed and correct numbers, the car will not start.

·
Premium Member
3,546 Posts
If you use the FOB as a key in that slot it will usually start the car long after it doesn't work useing the button.

·
Super Moderator
15,972 Posts
Even with a dead battery, it won't open the door, but the ignition switch will power the fob via induction so the car can still be operated.

The older Chargers around here that have metal blade ignition keys get stolen from time to time, since that system seems easier to defeat.

The Sentry Key system is a better theft deterrent (compared to keyed ignition switches:
"You may even deter possible thieves with the Sentry Key® engine immobilizer. With Sentry Key® engine immobilizer, the Challenger engine will shut down unless the properly encoded key is used"

1 - 5 of 5 Posts