Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just had a aftermarket alarm with remote start system installed professionally on my 2017 Challenger RT Plus. They are on the final step which is program the module. In order to program the module I have to remove the battery from the fob and press the nose of the keyfob into the push to start button so the module can collect the key data. The problem is this function doesn’t work. Everything else in my challenger works except this function. I have 0 issues with locking unlocking passive entry trunk popping open or anything. Literally I just can’t use a dead or no battery fob to run the vehicle. I already spent $200 on a new keyfob just in case and that was a waste. Now I am thinking maybe the Kin or the Pem module could be an issue. I have no clue dodge has no clue keyfob locksmiths have no clue so I am at a total lost with my vehicle stuck in the shop for 3 days now because we can’t figure this out. They also put it back to factory to test and it still doesn’t work. I also have checked fuses, disconnected the battery ect and nothing. The vehicle dash tells me to press the keyfob to the start button but when I do it all the vehicle does is beep and the button flashes white.What an I over looking.Can someone please help me.

Side note: I have aftermarket keyfobs and not a dodge labeled fob. Could this make a difference? Is the RFID chip better in the dodge housing labeled fob?

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
4,234 Posts
With aftermarket there is always a concern about compatibility and quality.

Did the after market key fobs ever work to start the engine using the technique you are trying to use now?

My WAG is the RFID is not being received. Based on what I know about cars that used a special key (with an RFID circuit) to start the engine when your press the key against the button a RF signal is emitted from an antenna behind the button. This is directed to the key and the embedded RFID circuit. This energizes this circuit and it responds by transmitting its RFID. If the RFID signal is received, decoded and the RFID matches the one stored in the security system module's security code list the engine is started. If the signal is not received, or is garbled, or of course doesn't match one in the car's security module the engine doesn't start. It has been my experience with other cars that the security module will log an error code. In my experience the tech used the dealer's factory diagnostic computer to query the car's security module for any error codes.

If the aftermarket keyfob worked to start the engine using another technique this suggests the fob RFID circuit is "overwhelmed" by the RF transmission from pushing the buttom and fails to respond or responds with garbage.

You might (might) have some success by holding the fob some distance away -- 6", 12" -- from the button and pushing the button with your finger or some non metal object. The idea is to see if the fob is not too close to the RF signal if it will work then.

With the reaction of the car to an attempt to start the engine via the technique you are using I'd hazard a guess there's at least an error (or two) logged with the car's security system. But you will need some scan tool that can access the security system module for this. A standard OBD2 scan tool won't work.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I never tried the feature until the alarm system was installed. That is when I learned about it for the first time.

·
Registered
387 Posts
I would almost be tempted to have them rip it out and have a reputable Dodge dealer add oem remote start that comes with two new fobs. This would prove if something is not functioning and you would have two new Dodge fobs.

Do you not have any original keyfobs?

I had oem remote start added to my 18 RT when I thought I was going to drive it in the winter. First winter and never again. Our windows suck when they are frozen closed.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts