Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The keyless entry functions on 2015 SXT Plus has quit working. I can lock/unlock the car with the buttons on the key fob but the buttons on the door handles don't lock it and grabbing the door handles doesn't unlock the car. I have a message the shows briefly on the dash display that says " Service keyless entry". Anybody else ever seen this condition?

·
Super Moderator
15,542 Posts
Its likely your fob's batteries are running low.

Have you tried both fobs to see if the same condition exists.

Anyway, the fobs use a single CR2032 disc battery and you remove the metal emergency key, split the case open (carefully) and change the battery.
-snap the case by pressing along the sides/edges until completely snapped back together, then re-insert the metal key.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Same problem with both fobs. Car was purchased only 9 weeks ago. Still under warranty but hoping someone might know a fix so I can save a trip to the stealer.

·
Super Moderator
15,542 Posts
easiest thing is to change the battery - if that solves the issue, that was the problem.

Often the fobs can be kept inside the car @ dealership - this allows constant communication fobs < - > vehicle and the the batteries (fob) wear out quickly.

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
If it's not the battery, try cleaning and drying under both door handles. It may do that if there's debris or something under the handle and it's constantly detecting "fingers" under the handle.

Mike

·
Registered
516 Posts
My 2011 Charger did the same thing except it was the wiring that operated the passive entry. Dodges are notorious for this problem.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Its likely your fob's batteries are running low.

My (admittedly, limited) knowledge of the Dodge key fobs is that there are two circuits within the fob -- an active circuit (requiring the battery) with a transmitter that allows the buttons on the fob to function (lock, unlock, open trunk, etc.) and a passive circuit (not requiring battery power) that interacts with modules in the vehicle to allow features like keyless entry and the interior/exterior proximity sensors that won't allow you to lock your keys in the passenger compartment or trunk, etc.

You can completely remove the CR2032 battery from your fob and it shouldn't affect the operation of "Enter and go", pushbutton start, etc. The only functionality that is lost when the battery dies (or is removed) are those specific functions driven by the buttons on the fob itself.

·
Super Moderator
15,542 Posts
My (admittedly, limited) knowledge of the Dodge key fobs is that there are two circuits within the fob -- an active circuit (requiring the battery) with a transmitter that allows the buttons on the fob to function (lock, unlock, open trunk, etc.) and a passive circuit (not requiring battery power) that interacts with modules in the vehicle to allow features like keyless entry and the interior/exterior proximity sensors that won't allow you to lock your keys in the passenger compartment or trunk, etc.

You can completely remove the CR2032 battery from your fob and it shouldn't affect the operation of "Enter and go", pushbutton start, etc. The only functionality that is lost when the battery dies (or is removed) are those specific functions driven by the buttons on the fob itself.
The fob can be inductively powered (in event of dead fob battery) by holding it up against the push-start button [and you'll get error message] for the '15s. The remote fob functions depend on a functioning battery.

The '08-'14 are similar - if your fob batt. is dead, you can remove the push-start button, insert the fob and induction will power up the fob for an engine start...but you won't have function of unlock/lock or trunk opening - that requires a functioning battery.

Its designed so that if your fob battery dies, you can enter the car (with emergency key) and get it started and drive.
[you'll see a Service Key Fob or Damaged Key Fob message in the display, or a Fob Not Detected message]

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
I still think my first check would be the door handles. Make sure the buttons on the top are not stuck down. Make sure there is no debris under the handle (sometimes some fiber from a wash mitt or something like that can get stuck under there). Clean under both handles and maybe take an air blower if you have one and blow up under the door handles to make sure they are dry. If any water has gotten in under the handle, it could emulate fingers being on the pad under there.

When you put your fingers under the handle, the car sends a signal to the fob, forcing the fob to reply. Something must be interrupting that process.

Mike

·
Registered
383 Posts
Well, only my drivers side is not working. You should be able to walk up to your door, put your thumb on the button and the lock unlocks. My passenger side works. Mine is not the key fob. I tried both and still the drivers door doesn't unlock, but the passenger does. Will have to ake in during my Christmas break.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I disabled that feature.......I hate it, and it didn't always work. I am old-school. In fact, I miss the keyed ignition. All this tech stuff is over-kill.

·
Registered
5 Posts
My 2019 Challenger was involved in a accident few weeks ago and was hit in the passenger side door. The door was replaced, I went to pick my car up today and now the keyless entry by rubbing under the door handle feature is not working on both driver and passenger, even though passenger door was the only door replaced and collision repair shop seems to have no idea what may be the issue.. Does anyone know how to fix this issue??

·
Registered
2 Posts
My 2019 Challenger was involved in a accident few weeks ago and was hit in the passenger side door. The door was replaced, I went to pick my car up today and now the keyless entry by rubbing under the door handle feature is not working on both driver and passenger, even though passenger door was the only door replaced and collision repair shop seems to have no idea what may be the issue.. Does anyone know how to fix this issue??
Hey i have a 2019 challenger and my driver side door was hit and I am having the same issue. Did you find the solution for it.
Thanks

·
Registered
2 Posts
Well, only my drivers side is not working. You should be able to walk up to your door, put your thumb on the button and the lock unlocks. My passenger side works. Mine is not the key fob. I tried both and still the drivers door doesn't unlock, but the passenger does. Will have to ake in during my Christmas break.
What did this end up being? My daughter just picked up a nice used 2012 last week and it's started doing this same thing where the passenger door works, but not drivers side. Replaced the fob battery and it's still a no-go. Can you point me in the right direction?

·
Registered
383 Posts
What did this end up being? My daughter just picked up a nice used 2012 last week and it's started doing this same thing where the passenger door works, but not drivers side. Replaced the fob battery and it's still a no-go. Can you point me in the right direction?
Wow, that was a long time ago. Probably the sensor module looking for the FOB?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts