Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2015 R/T Classic Sublime
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if it is possible to change to different FOB?

I had rented a Charger a while back for an extended test drive the FOB for that was "classy" looking:

And the one for the Challengers to me looks prehistoric (same one our work work trucks use):

Well I assume this is the one that comes with the car (pick mine up next week). I realize it is needed if you need to use it to start the car when (if) the Push to Start acts up. But is it possible to get the other style programmed to work with the Challenger? Nicer looking car should have the sexier FOB in my opinion. Or any other options anyone might have would be appreciated.

Tim

·
Registered
426 Posts
Maybe it's just me, but I couldn't care less what my key fob looks like. I mean, it's not like I show it to people when they look at my car.

"Sweet car dude!"
"You ain't seen nothin' yet. Check out this key fob!"

As long as it starts the car and locks/unlocks it, I'm happy.

PS: As far as I know, they are the prehistoric type of fob.

·
Registered
2015 R/T Classic Sublime
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Fair point and I do agree, as long as I can get in and the car starts all is right with the world.

Just hoping it was possible, ugly @ss fob for these cars. End of the day doesn't matter but still would be nice.

·
Registered
956 Posts
Maybe it's just me, but I couldn't care less what my key fob looks like. I mean, it's not like I show it to people when they look at my car.

"Sweet car dude!"
"You ain't seen nothin' yet. Check out this key fob!"

As long as it starts the car and locks/unlocks it, I'm happy.

PS: As far as I know, they are the prehistoric type of fob.
Honestly having seen some of the BMW, Mercedes, and even the Mini Cooper fobs, I kinda do wish I could show mine off. Those Minis are Voltron incarnate.

Reactions: wasp392 and HK-Pro

·
Premium Member
181 Posts
Just glued a pic of the Feb Sports Illustrated cover on the back of mine. Yeah, now that's sexy. Did put a new battery in it, for real, as my dash info center told me it was low. That was pretty cool to see my car knew the battery was low. Crap, I'm beginning to think the car is a Transformer. Opps, that's a Camaro thing.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Just glued a pic of the Feb Sports Illustrated cover on the back of mine. Yeah, now that's sexy. Did put a new battery in it, for real, as my dash info center told me it was low. That was pretty cool to see my car knew the battery was low. Crap, I'm beginning to think the car is a Transformer. Opps, that's a Camaro thing.
The Challenger in Transformers is Cliffjumper. If anybody cares. :weird:

·
Premium Member
181 Posts
Exactly, who cares what the fob looks like. Starting this thread was absolutely insane. Find something more concerning like the timing chain issue.

·
Premium Member
220 Posts
Wish they made one I could just keep in my wallet...credit card size..so I didnt even have to carry keys at all!! Figure if something goes wrong I can have wife or kids bring me my keys or if I am going out of town carry the "real" one...

·
Registered
956 Posts
exactly, who cares what the fob looks like. Starting this thread was absolutely insane. Find something more concerning like the timing chain issue.
insane! :)

·
Registered
2015 R/T Classic Sublime
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Exactly, who cares what the fob looks like. Starting this thread was absolutely insane. Find something more concerning like the timing chain issue.

Not concerned with timing chain at this time. And most likely won't be based on the model I decided to buy.

I want to see if a different FOB can be purchased. You may not have issue with the way it looks, and at the end of the day it really does not effect anything. Its about PREFERENCE. Kind of like how I call the car a Challenger where as you call it a Chally. Does it matter to anyone but you? No. Do other people have preferences? Of course they do.

To each there own.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Some odd responses... This is a pretty popular mod on a lot of other forums. Honda guys moving to Acura fobs, VW guys moving to Audi, etc.

Its one of the more tactile interfaces you have with the car, and more importantly sits on your desk while you're slaving away at work to pay for the car - I'd rather look at a nice one.

To OP, see what else you can dig up, I for one would definitely pay the ~100 for a new one & dealer reprogram if it can work.

·
Registered
4,434 Posts
Some odd responses...
Most Challenger owners are older and not into what we see as fluff or gadgets. I know I'd take a metal key in a heart beat, for example, and hate having buttons on things I handle (like phones :disgust:). This said, and as the OP stated, it's his thread and his right to be interested in any mod, whatever others may think of it.

·
Registered
956 Posts
Recent Mercedes fobs are a maybe.

Daimler owned Chrysler when these FOBIKs were designed. I'm thinking that they probably use very similar modules. The Keyless inserts will almost fit each other, but the Mercedes buttons are slightly too big to fit in the outer hole apparently.

·
Registered
4,434 Posts
If you can't find a replacement FOB you could always dress yours up with a cover (see eBay among other places).

Attachments

1 - 17 of 17 Posts