Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All I can say is WOW! Installed the 6x9 and 6.5 kickers from crutchfield and they sound wonderfull with just the stock head unit alone! I have hardly any audio experience yet installation was a breeze. This is a great upgrade for only around $160 and I would definately recomend this to everyone that has the 4 speaker system. :sunny:

·
Banned
946 Posts
You said crutchfield, but I wonder if these are the same speakers that are put in the kicker upgraded system from dodge? I just ordered the speaker upgrade 6x9/6.5 (77kick08/77kick10) and I hope I have the same experience as you did.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You said crutchfield, but I wonder if these are the same speakers that are put in the kicker upgraded system from dodge? I just ordered the speaker upgrade 6x9/6.5 (77kick08/77kick10) and I hope I have the same experience as you did.
I looked it up and it looks like they're diffrent models of speakers. I bought the cs series, but I'm sure you'll still be pleased! Anything's better than the paper cone speakers from China that come stock.

·
Registered
15 Posts
All I can say is WOW! Installed the 6x9 and 6.5 kickers from crutchfield and they sound wonderfull with just the stock head unit alone! I have hardly any audio experience yet installation was a breeze. This is a great upgrade for only around $160 and I would definately recomend this to everyone that has the 4 speaker system. :sunny:
Hey thanks for the info. I need to upgrade my 4 speaker system asap. My question is where exactly did you put which size speakers? And exactly what models did you order? Could you give me the links? Crutchfield is confusing me with all of the options they're giving me size wise. Thanks

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I put the 6x9s in the front and the 5 1/4 in the back. One of the 6.5s ended up braking so they took it back no problem and then I decided after some research that the 5 1/4 are better with the stock hu for power and highs anyway. The links wouldn't work so here are the codes: 6x9s 40cs6934, 5 1/4 40cs54, the 6.5s are out of stock but the code is 40cs654. You can also put in your cars year and model and the 4 speaker system on the website and it will tell you the speakers that are a direct fit or that you need adapters with. Crutchfield will send everything you need along with how to remove the rear deck and door pannels, which is very simple even for a beginner like myself. The system is great and you can tell a huge diffrence especially if you listen to the music pretty loud! They easily handle all the power the hu puts out and could probably handle even more with an aftermarket hu. The only issue I had was the adapters not lining up but it was an easy fix with a drill bit. Good luck and feel free to ask if you have any other questions!

·
Registered
6,342 Posts
This is what an OEM Kicker door 6x9 looks like. Not even close to what they offer
to the aftermarket. But, better than most OEM drivers.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I put the 6x9s in the front and the 5 1/4 in the back. One of the 6.5s ended up braking so they took it back no problem and then I decided after some research that the 5 1/4 are better with the stock hu for power and highs anyway. The links wouldn't work so here are the codes: 6x9s 40cs6934, 5 1/4 40cs54, the 6.5s are out of stock but the code is 40cs654. You can also put in your cars year and model and the 4 speaker system on the website and it will tell you the speakers that are a direct fit or that you need adapters with. Crutchfield will send everything you need along with how to remove the rear deck and door pannels, which is very simple even for a beginner like myself. The system is great and you can tell a huge diffrence especially if you listen to the music pretty loud! They easily handle all the power the hu puts out and could probably handle even more with an aftermarket hu. The only issue I had was the adapters not lining up but it was an easy fix with a drill bit. Good luck and feel free to ask if you have any other questions!
Thanks Alot!!!! I Really appreciate it. Will be ordering some speakers today.

·
Registered
3 Posts
All I can say is WOW! Installed the 6x9 and 6.5 kickers from crutchfield and they sound wonderfull with just the stock head unit alone! I have hardly any audio experience yet installation was a breeze. This is a great upgrade for only around $160 and I would definitely recommend this to everyone that has the 4 speaker system. :sunny:
This was the first upgrade I made to my system and it made the most dramatic difference so far. I also did some sound deadening in the doors (which on the Challenger is 3/4 of the sides of the car). Took out the stock speakers, plugged in coax Kicker CS speakers (6x9 in the doors, 5 1/4 in the rear deck) I got from Crutchfield and the sound got much better. Had to do a bit of modification to the frame on the door speakers to get them to fit the adapter, but the install was pretty easy.

I just replaced the stock head unit with an aftermarket receiver and while the sound got a bit better, it wasn't as dramatic as the speaker swap was. Conventional wisdom and testing says the head unit should get replaced first, but for me the speakers made the difference. I'm glad to have the extra functionally in the new head unit, USB input, HD Radio, more EQ control, pre-amp output for eventual sub-woofer or amps, etc.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Ok so my speakers are ordered and should be delivered by Monday. For my next question, did you guys disconnect any fuses or battery cables before the install? What did you use as a walk-through to help you along the way? I'm obviously not the car guy but I want to start doing simpler projects myself.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok so my speakers are ordered and should be delivered by Monday. For my next question, did you guys disconnect any fuses or battery cables before the install? What did you use as a walk-through to help you along the way? I'm obviously not the car guy but I want to start doing simpler projects myself.
Crutchfield will send you the step by steps but I would definitely watch the door removal video by lonestar mopars on youtube. On the drivers door there are 2 cables to disconnect and on the passengers side you only disconnect 1 I believe. Then you just unscrew and disconnect the factory speakers. Some guys disconnect the door latch as well but its not really necessary I believe there is also a walkthrough on the forum in the audio section on both the doors and rear deck. Good Luck and take your time!

·
Registered
15 Posts
I found both and I subscribed to lonestar mopar yesterday after seeing his vids. I ordered mine cheaper from ebay brand new actually. $80 for 6x9's and 40 for the others. Not a huge savings but I have a paypal credit line so it was easy. Thanks for all of the help guys. Made this process easy for me.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts