Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went out and ordered a 2014 Challenger RT Plus with the STP and did not do the research on the forums that I should have.. I am now finding out that: 1) There are not many performance mods for my car "yet" and I have to wait. (really log time for HP numbers on different products) I should have bought a 2013 or 2012! 2) The HD brakes in the super track pack are not the red BREMBO brakes that are on the SRT8. This really pissed me off because I was told by the salesman that they were the same and would be BREMBO's red color. 3) Performance is dead last for all the modern muscle cars. I kind of knew this but thought I could get the car into the 11's easily. 4) I am pissed about the fact that all MOPAR performance products suck compared to aftermarket companies. Also pissed that it is impossible to reach anyone at MOPAR to see if the parts provide significant HP gains compared to A.M. companies! 5) I will end up paying about $5000 less than I would have paid for a "new" SRT8 (should have bought the SRT8 but I thought I could take the $5000 and make the RT faster - BUT I was wrong)... So, if it is not To Late to back out of this deal with the dealership, I think that I am going to back out and try to get the SRT8 or go with the Corvette Stingray......I wish!
:crbaby:

·
Banned
946 Posts
If you just ordered an R/T through the dealership, you can cancel anytime even up to the date of delivery. It's not yours until you sign the papers and money (financial) exchange hands. Cancel your order and order you a SRT8 or a SRT8 Core.

·
Registered
968 Posts
If you haven't paid yet I don't see why you couldn't back out. Some of those issues are your fault and some aren't of course.

I assume by a lack of performance mods you mean tuning. There are plenty of performance mods for your car, just no tuning yet. As far as I know headers, catback, intakes etc will all fit on your car. I bought my 2013 before tuning came out, but I knew there is nothing you can do about that. Regretting buying a 2014 because of a lack of tuning doesn't make much sense alone-- but it also sounds like your dealer gave you some runaround too.

Know your stuff before buying, and don't reward a shitty dealer for misleading you.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Even the older tunable years of RT's have limited performance upgrades available that offer significant HP improvements, especially in order to get it into the 11s. About the only way you're going to get into the 11s is to supercharge it, and that will void any new warranty that you just got buying a new one.

It always pays to go onto car forums and read a bit before plunking down cash or signing the dotted line. If the car hasn't been delivered, cancel the order and buy a 2011 or 2012 srt8 at a discount, or get a low mile RT with a supercharger already installed. You can usually find one without too much searching and its cheaper than installing the supercharger yourself. If you wait a bit, the 2014s Scat Pack packages offer some of the high performance mods that you would do yourself, such as a cam or ported heads.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
I can only speak for myself. If I were in your situation I would have bought a mustang or similar platform. I love my big roomy Challenger with all of its weight and quirks. No its not the fastest but it is the only true retro looking muscle car out there. It sounds baddass and its quick enough to get in big trouble and hold five people. You can mod them but not as cheap as a rustang. If you don't love Mopar you bought the wrong ride.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You are correct Sr. I ordered the Challenger because it looks the most [email protected]# and It is the only real American muscle car with the look that I want and I will be super happy with the car when I finally get it to 490HP. LOL I guess I will supercharge it as soon as the word is out on fitment and tuning for the 2014.

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
You are correct Sr. I ordered the Challenger because it looks the most [email protected]# and It is the only real American muscle car with the look that I want and I will be super happy with the car when I finally get it to 490HP. LOL I guess I will supercharge it as soon as the word is out on fitment and tuning for the 2014.
What I would do if I was in your situation is cancel the order and get a used 2011 R/T or SRT and supercharge it. You will be missing the factory warranty either way. Unless you are going to look into an aftermarket warranty that you can get along with the supercharger?

·
Super Moderator
15,104 Posts
Sorry to hear about that - if your car isn't built...you can cancel the order.

Moral of this thread = don't take the salesman's words for fact. Sales staff pull 'facts' out the air to keep the sale going ('they'll never make this color again, hardware offered, options, etc.")
Read the literature and research, research, research...thankfully, the forums around today are a good resource.

Today's SRT / 6.4 combo is a compelling argument with 95-100hp over the R/T, but like in the early years...it comes at a price it was + $8,500 then (6.1) and about $9,500 today when you equip both to similar levels for audio/features/equipment.

For the 6.1 era, I wasn't worth the extra coin to me...I still would have modded the suspension and some other things, plus the MPG on the 6.1 was a sticking point, compared to the 5.7's ratings.

So I would have been out even more $$ - it suited me more to get a 5.7 and mod and still be less $$ than what a stock 6.1 would have run before adding any mods...I was looking at value for the money spent.

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
Wait for the Scat Pack stage kits (that would be MOPAR BTW). I'm guessing the Stage 3 would be right up your alley if you don't want to go aftermarket. I would think (and hope!) $5K will get you into at least stage 2 and hopefully stage 3.

·
Registered
828 Posts
I guess you guys are in agreement that MOPAR sucks? They are not Roush or Hennessey are they?
Yep they suck.... enjoy your new mustang!!! :blueblob:

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Actually, I'm pretty happy with MOPAR parts and accessories. MOPAR has been around supporting dodge/plymouth cars a long time, and has always offered tested parts that integrate well with the cars and engines. Aftermarket has always built more extreme mods so you can always get them outside the mopar family if you choose to.

I'd put MOPAR miles ahead of Hennessey and Fords offerings.

I agree with Hal, in 2010, the 6.1 wasn't enough to justify the difference in price as far as performance goes, and mpg was a factor for me as well, didn't want 14-18mpg. The 392 powered srt8's are worth the extra money, you'd spend about the same amount adding 100-150hp to the RT as the SRT8 would cost. If you want a cheaper srt8, look at the CORE models, they run about the same as a highly optioned classic challenger RT would go for.

I'd always planned on supercharging mine if i wanted the hp to get close to 500. I plan on getting a KB blower one day, but so far I've gotten used to the power of the RT and haven't needed an extra 100hp.......yet....with a diablo tuner, intake and functional TA hood, it feels peppier than stock and thats all thats been needed so far.

I wouldn't get too bent out of shape about the brembos not being on the STP, I have yet to experience any weakness in the RT braking system in daily driving, long trips or even long high speed trips cruising over 100mph for 300 miles. I'm sure they're great for those tracking their cars, but you may want to try the RT brakes first before getting upset.

·
Premium Member
5,641 Posts
I made all the same mistakes you did...

I went out and ordered a 2014 Challenger RT Plus with the STP and did not do the research on the forums that I should have.. I am now finding out that: 1) There are not many performance mods for my car "yet" and I have to wait. (really log time for HP numbers on different products) I should have bought a 2013 or 2012! 2) The HD brakes in the super track pack are not the red BREMBO brakes that are on the SRT8. This really pissed me off because I was told by the salesman that they were the same and would be BREMBO's red color. 3) Performance is dead last for all the modern muscle cars. I kind of knew this but thought I could get the car into the 11's easily. 4) I am pissed about the fact that all MOPAR performance products suck compared to aftermarket companies. Also pissed that it is impossible to reach anyone at MOPAR to see if the parts provide significant HP gains compared to A.M. companies! 5) I will end up paying about $5000 less than I would have paid for a "new" SRT8 (should have bought the SRT8 but I thought I could take the $5000 and make the RT faster - BUT I was wrong)... So, if it is not To Late to back out of this deal with the dealership, I think that I am going to back out and try to get the SRT8 or go with the Corvette Stingray......I wish!
:crbaby:
....The dealers told me the same BS. The Dodge web site is misleading and lacks important info. You have 2 options. 1. Back Out (the dealer will BE HAPPY when they hear that you are ordering an SRT, SRT Core, RT SCAT 3 etc. as they make more $$$$). 2. Keep the order and upgrade.

I got my car in April, I came to the below conclusion in May.....I MUST Trade Up (at least you are in a position to avoid this mistake): Bottom Line:

If you want to be happy, you must order an SRT, or SRT CORE. Last week I ordered an SRT, and my car has only 6K miles. It will look very much like my well optioned Black RT (red interior, no sun roof, etc).

Talking Points/Considerations:

1. Brembo (or Stoptech much more $$$) Brake upgrades will cost at least $3K (WAY more if you buy new parts and have them installed by a mechanic).

2. Good blowers (maggies, procharger and Edelbrock's) cost approx. $7500. $9,500 if installed/tuned by a performance shop. $10,000 if you get an engine warranty to cover you LOSS of warranty that will certainly happen when you install the blower.

3. If you decide to add a blower to the 5.7, you will be safely limited to about 9.5 PSI boost (but blower powertrain warranty's are only good for low boost, 6 PSI).

4. If you go with 6 psi boost, you might net an additional 120 HP (SRT with a performance tune).

5. If you go with a safe 8-9.5 psi boost, you cannot get the warranty. You might net 140-160 HP.

6. The SRT already comes with shorty headers, and bigger exhaust (SRT and RT have air box systems that are as efficient as CAI...so never buy that).

7. CAM's are a good option for 5.7's. But, even with upgraded exhaust, smooth intake, shorty headers and tune, you will probably net 60 HP ..."Tops." This combo will cost almost as much as a blower, and yield less than half the HP that a "Blower/Tune Only" installation will yield.

8. If you only add a blower....you might as well have bought an SRT (I believe that the Core will be less than SCAT3 packages)

9. If you decide to go to HIGH BOOST LEVELS, for 200-300 HP gains, you will need MAJOR internal upgrades, forged pistons, CAM, etc. Big $$$)

10. But, IF you add a blower to an SRT, with safe/modest boost levels, you end up with 600-620 HP at the crank (550-570 RWHP). AND, you will NOT need forged internals.

11. Then there are the little things: (you bought the STP, so you got the Bilstein Shocks, same sway bars, same tires and 20 inch rims). But you did NOT get a functional Hood Scoop, Functional Spoiler/Splitter that feeds cooling air to the brakes, adaptive suspension, cool steering wheel/seats, etc.

The above list resulted in me selling a car with only 6K miles. I HAD to. I plan on upgrading the SRT. I could not afford an RT upgrade to the performance levels I want. There are gearheads on this site who do ALL their installations. It makes sense for them to upgrade RT's. Hope this helps. Good luck.

MOPAR does NOT suck. That is why I paid close to $10K more for a Challenger. I cannot be happy with a "Rustang-teen age dream car," OR a Cartoonish Camaro. The Camaro and Stang guys envy our looks. You can fix performance...but you can't fix UGLY.

·
Banned
946 Posts
Your on the wrong site.
Yep they suck.... enjoy your new mustang!!! :blueblob:
Actually, I'm pretty happy with MOPAR parts and accessories. MOPAR has been around supporting dodge/plymouth cars a long time, and has always offered tested parts that integrate well with the cars and engines. Aftermarket has always built more extreme mods so you can always get them outside the mopar family if you choose to.

I'd put MOPAR miles ahead of Hennessey and Fords offerings.
I think what he was trying to say was that what Mopar performance parts aren't that great when it comes to offering superchargers, headers, etc. All they really offer (while keeping the warranty) is cat back exhaust and CAI. I don't think he was saying Challengers, hemi, etc suck, but then again I could be wrong... If this whole SCAT pack thing actually comes true, then it might be a different story, who knows...

·
Registered
317 Posts
I can only speak for myself. If I were in your situation I would have bought a mustang or similar platform. I love my big roomy Challenger with all of its weight and quirks. No its not the fastest but it is the only true retro looking muscle car out there. It sounds baddass and its quick enough to get in big trouble and hold five people. You can mod them but not as cheap as a rustang. If you don't love Mopar you bought the wrong ride.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Well said indeed:rocker:

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
I think what he was trying to say was that what Mopar performance parts aren't that great when it comes to offering superchargers, headers, etc. All they really offer (while keeping the warranty) is cat back exhaust and CAI. I don't think he was saying Challengers, hemi, etc suck, but then again I could be wrong... If this whole SCAT pack thing actually comes true, then it might be a different story, who knows...
+1.....

1 - 20 of 30 Posts