Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, as a new RT owner I have concerns for keeping her protected when detailing. So far I see others have similar concerns. One being what wax or all-in-one product to use. If I unintenionally offend any vendors I apologize in advance...that being said I am thinking of using an Acrylic all-in-one cleaner, Klasse, so any members input would be appreciated. I know that wax will seal and the Acrylic will not, so I see a benefit to using the Acrylic. Please respond with pros and cons, I am all ears.
The second question seems to have been asked and answered, there seems very little to be done to keep the RT fender to hood stripes looking as they do from the factory. You basically have to wash only and never cover them with either a wax or the Acrylic that I am leaning toward using, everything seems to get rid of the flat black OEM finish, as both will cause some shine being that the decals are porous. Again I am all ears and looking forward to reading everyones comments.
Thanks again,
Bill

·
Registered
438 Posts
Ran into a guy that has a couple of Classic cars and he told me that Klasse is what I hsould use. Never have used it yet but he swore by it.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, going to go to a near by speed shop that has been here for the past 40 years, they sell it and will get the straight scoop from them. Am hoping somebody has tried it and will recommend it or will tell me why not to use it. Like I said wax will seal your paint and that is never a good thing, paint and clear coats need to breath to last, that much I do know from my days working for PPG coatings and resins, many years ago, I will post what I find out.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Hi everyone, as a new RT owner I have concerns for keeping her protected when detailing. So far I see others have similar concerns. One being what wax or all-in-one product to use. If I unintenionally offend any vendors I apologize in advance...that being said I am thinking of using an Acrylic all-in-one cleaner, Klasse, so any members input would be appreciated. I know that wax will seal and the Acrylic will not, so I see a benefit to using the Acrylic. Please respond with pros and cons, I am all ears.
The second question seems to have been asked and answered, there seems very little to be done to keep the RT fender to hood stripes looking as they do from the factory. You basically have to wash only and never cover them with either a wax or the Acrylic that I am leaning toward using, everything seems to get rid of the flat black OEM finish, as both will cause some shine being that the decals are porous. Again I am all ears and looking forward to reading everyones comments.
Thanks again,
Bill

Thanks, going to go to a near by speed shop that has been here for the past 40 years, they sell it and will get the straight scoop from them. Am hoping somebody has tried it and will recommend it or will tell me why not to use it. Like I said wax will seal your paint and that is never a good thing, paint and clear coats need to breath to last, that much I do know from my days working for PPG coatings and resins, many years ago, I will post what I find out.
I can understand why the application of some waxes/sealants over fresh paint in a refinish scenario is usually not recommended for a period of time (usually 30-90 days to allow the solvents in the newly applied paint to “off/out-gas”), but I think that’s the first I have heard of a traditional “wax” having an adverse affect on a cured finish. I have run across contradictory information through the years though. I even recall an opposite assertion from Einszett who claimed BASF would not endorse acrylic-based polymer sealants (like KAIO/SG) and said auto companies like BMW only recommend the use of “waxes” and synthetic waxes to be used on their vehicles. ....it’s all arguable IMO/IME though since it seems even those in the industry can’t agree (just my two cents).

Klasse AIO…. Definitely a decent paint cleaner but the longevity/resilience of it as a sealant is a little disappointing in my experience. However, Klasse SG (sealant glaze) is actually quite durable but can be a little finicky for some during application. I haven’t used SG but I would urge you to search the Autopia.org forums for tips and reviews. In particular, search for threads on the subject posted by a member named “Accumulator”. He has been using KSG for many years and has found a right combination of “layering” (3-4 coats if I recall correctly) that has given him excellent results (in both protection and longevity of the product). I’ve been a member there for over 8 years and Accumulator is one of a handful that I truly trust when it comes to their opinion.

Can I ask what you are looking to get out of the KAIO (what are your expectations)? If the car is relatively new and the condition of the finish is decent (and you remove all other products from the finish), you may consider simply moving to KSG. KAIO has no appreciable corrective ability so it won’t really help in that regard but as a chemical cleaner, it can help remove previous products from the paint theoretically maximizing the performance of KSG (if you choose to layer it over the KAIO).

….hope this helps.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
KEAN, thanks this exactly the type of feedback I was hoping to get. Yes I agree that KAIO is best for making sure the base is "cleansed" and have been reading on the other Klasse product as well. You seem to be validating my finding thus far. I will also find info. by the person you recommended. I also like that the Klasse will clean off whatever the dealer used to keep the car ready to sell, probably something like Mequiars or a 3M product often found at dealerships. Again thanks for the feedback, now if this weather will co-operate I can get her detailed, its been to cold or wet to get it done, for now just keeping her clean.

Bill:thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
....no problem Bill. While just an enthusiast, Accumulator is a well respected member in the detailing community (among professionals and fellow DIY'ers that know him). He claims 3-4(?) layers of SG produces one of the most resilient finishes of any product he has used. ....and he has used quite a few. I also like the fact that he has a similar mindset that there is no "one" product that will work for everyone. ....he keeps an open mind on many topics.

KAIO has a good cleaning ability but you may want to use a higher concentration of car wash soap or perhaps something like regular, blue Dawn for your initial wash to help with the removal of product. Anything left will likely then be taken care of by the KAIO. I've come across some products that can be quite durable and tough to clean off. Even when using a decent wax-stripping cleaner like Chemical Guys CWC, it can take a couple of washes and/or some dwell time (usually using my foam gun) to remove some products. There was something nasty on my Challenger including water spots/stains that even required a dedicated water spot remover to correct.

Good luck. I hope the product works out for you as well as it does for Accumulator. I don't use SG myself but I do use KAIO on occasion. While I don't really use it for paint purposes, I have found it works well for cleaning up some trim bits. .....also make sure to check out Accumulators comments regarding using non-staining waxes/sealants on trim. I got the idea from him years ago and much prefer this route (where feasible) vs. using dressings/protectants. ....if you're interested.

·
Registered
726 Posts
All I can say through my years of detailing is get SOMETHING on your paint before a bird poops on it in the blistering heat. I have used Klasse products with decent results. I no longer use them due to better products out there. It has been unseasonably mild here in South Texas and I just completed a 10 hour exterior detail of my Challenger. Yes, 10 hours! ;)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts