Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know what the knock recovery rate is for the Hemi engines (5.7L if that matters)?

Ive seen 0.8 degrees per second listed for some Chevy’s but cannot find a source to confirm or deny that is what Dodge uses.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Would hazard a guess that 0.8 degree/second applies to Dodge, too.

While the engines are different they are basically quite similar and would have a similar recovery rate. And a rate that errs on the side of caution. At 0.8 degrees per second recovery a retard of say 10 degrees would take 12.5 seconds to well, recover.

A slower/conservative recovery rate is preferred to a more aggressive one that could have the engine detonating again real soon, too soon, after the previous event.

If that is too much recovery time that should provide the motivation to use the proper grade of octane and do other things to ensure detonation doesn't happen. Then there is no back off in timing -- with a resulting drop off in power (2hp per degree of retard I seem to recall) -- and thus no recovery time.

·
Premium Member
5,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Detonation due to lack of octane isn’t a problem for me. What has recently occurred to me, and what is really peeving me off, is the random spikes of KR that occur at transmission shifts are certainly having a lasting effect on the WOT run in question, however temporary it might be. Or maybe it’s the fact that I can’t really do anything about it, within reason, that is.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Detonation due to lack of octane isn’t a problem for me. What has recently occurred to me, and what is really peeving me off, is the random spikes of KR that occur at transmission shifts are certainly having a lasting effect on the WOT run in question, however temporary it might be. Or maybe it’s the fact that I can’t really do anything about it, within reason, that is.
The KR at shifts might be the engine controller doing this to reduce stress on the transmission.

·
Premium Member
5,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The KR at shifts might be the engine controller doing this to reduce stress on the transmission.
I believe that is what the Torque Management parameter is used for, which is supposed to be significantly reduced with the tune I’m running.

IDK, I’m stumbling into new territory here with my datalogging. I used to only care about KR that was attributable to true knock, but now that I’ve pretty much addressed all that, I’m looking at the KR which is likely attributable to false knock.

What I’m gonna do to address it is not entirely known at the moment, but I would like to identify any that can be mitigated by some fashion or another. After all, knowing one’s enemy is the first step in defeating it, right?!?

Does anyone else hear “Onward Christian Soldier...” playing softly in the background??

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
I believe that is what the Torque Management parameter is used for, which is supposed to be significantly reduced with the tune I’m running.

IDK, I’m stumbling into new territory here with my datalogging. I used to only care about KR that was attributable to true knock, but now that I’ve pretty much addressed all that, I’m looking at the KR which is likely attributable to false knock.

What I’m gonna do to address it is not entirely known at the moment, but I would like to identify any that can be mitigated by some fashion or another. After all, knowing one’s enemy is the first step in defeating it, right?!?

Does anyone else hear “Onward Christian Soldier...” playing softly in the background??
I hear "Nearer, My God, To Thee".

·
Premium Member
5,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I hear "Nearer, My God, To Thee".
Now I’m hearing that old Ween song ‘Push the Little DaisIves’...hopefully that’s just in my head and no one else’s. But for those who cannot hear what’s in my head right now, YouTube will help you with that:
(if you have never heard this song, yes, it is terrible, but trust me, you need to at least tough it out until the chorus starts around the 1:00 mark before pulling the emergency exit handle!)

·
Registered
Boosted 2014 R/T Shaker M6
2,176 Posts
Funny GIFs (@FunnyGIFs4You) | Twitter

1 - 8 of 8 Posts