Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday when my car was warmed up I was getting up to 3 degrees of KR at WOT. This morning I drove down the road about a 1/4 mile, I didn't check the temp so I don't know exactly what it was but it had to be pretty low. Well I did two runs from a stop up through 3rd gear this morning and the most I got was 0.5 KR. Is this because the car runs a little rich when its warming up or would a 180 tstat stop the knock when the car got up to operating temp?

·
Registered
562 Posts
The higher the intake temp, the higher the knock retard.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know that but what I'm asking is, will a 180 tstat help a lot or was it just low today because the engine was really cold and the fuel mixture was rich while it was warming up?

·
Registered
562 Posts
what was the temp outside yesterday verse today?
A 180stat will help lower the engine temp, not necessarily intake...but it will help your enginer run cooler, meaning your intake manifold and intake might not get as heat soaked

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Its a little cooler today, maybe 10 degrees. I ran a 14.2 at 99 mph with a 2.289 60' on April 2nd and the DA was 1858 and I've heard thats about normal for that 60' so I don't think I'm losing any power over it.

·
Registered
562 Posts
having had a wideband 02 set up on my last SRT, i cant say i ever saw it run more rich or lean depending on how warm the car was.
Is the knock you are seeing during shifts?
Id say more than likely, its a difference in air temp/DA and a heatsoaked engine. You will definitely lose power with a heatsoaked engine a knock retard.
my 2 cents
If you are running a tune and intake, i suggest a colder thermostat for sure.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yesterday it would spike when I shifted then it would slowly work its way back down but it wouldnt have time to get back to 0 before I shifted again. This morning it would spike to 0.5 when I shifted and then go back to 0 as soon as I got in the gas again. There was one time this morning when I was in 3rd gear that it spiked to 2.5 while I was at WOT around 4500 RPM.

·
Registered
562 Posts
dont worry about spikes during shifts. Its likely the sensors are picking transmission noises during shifts.
And honestly, 2.5 isnt horrible. Try finding no pure gas without ethanol, might help, or put in a octane booster..which wont necessarily boost your octane, but will help combat the effects of ethanol.
Get a thermostat
You already have pretty cool air from the cervini.
Get a custom tune and the tuner can adjust the parameters needed to reduce the knock

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Alright thanks man!

·
Premium Member
09 RT Challenger auto
3,467 Posts
what fuel you running and are you using a pred or trinity ? If so add 5% fuel where you are seeing the knk. Thats one of the usual aids in combating Knk add a little fuel. Being its St knk not much to worry about. Nice to know Hal is hearing it and pulling timing. Knk is knock, so you are killing some Hp. A little.
FT

1 - 10 of 10 Posts