Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's up guys so I should probably give you guys some background story I have a 2012 Dodge Challenger RT I hit about 110000 miles last month this month my car began making a knocking noise took it to the dealership had them diagnose it turned out it was a water pump that was out of course I replaced it, But after I put about 100 miles on the car and began making a different knocking noise now my suspicion is that it's a lifter but I just wanted to see if anybody else had this issue in their vehicles and if so what type of resolution were you able to find so I know what to expect thank you guys any feedback will be appreciated.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
7,586 Posts
What's up guys so I should probably give you guys some background story I have a 2012 Dodge Challenger RT I hit about 110000 miles last month this month my car began making a knocking noise took it to the dealership had them diagnose it turned out it was a water pump that was out of course I replaced it, But after I put about 100 miles on the car and began making a different knocking noise now my suspicion is that it's a lifter but I just wanted to see if anybody else had this issue in their vehicles and if so what type of resolution were you able to find so I know what to expect thank you guys any feedback will be appreciated.
Lifters usually make more of a tapping noise. Can you post a sound bite or vid of the noise? I had noisy lifters since day one but swapping out the push rods resolved my issue (more preload). I had noisy lifters in my liberty (120000 miles) and I tried marvels mystery oil....no kidding it worked.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah I'll try and get a sound bit but it's strange the noise is on a steady tempo and everytime I accelerate it speeds up it's more of like a slapping noise.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Update turns out it was the camshaft but now after I replaced the camshaft it now makes it squeaky noise until the car warms up and has been driven.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
7,586 Posts
Does it sound like a belt squeal? Maybe one of the idler bearings are acting up?

I have a GC that kind of howls when it is really cold outside....but only for a few seconds.

Can you post a vid but I would really go back to the mechanic that did the install.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
UPDATE: Wasn't able to get sound bit but did take it back mechanic says it's oil on the belt says it should go away only happens when it's cold out once I drive it and car warms up it stops.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts