Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently installed a set of Koni shocks (8050-1049) and Eibach Pro-Kit lowering springs on the rear of my 2009 Challenger r/t 6spd. I had previously installed the front springs W the stock shocks and kept the rear stock to get the "old school" rake look but decided I wanted to level things out. After installation Ive noticed the handling of the car has become TERRIBLE! I experience significant wheel hop at all speeds during any form of acceleration or braking. Worst yet if I hit uneven payment the rear end shoots out sideways uncontrollably. Im currently running 255/45r20s. My question is, I was under the impression that lowering the vehicle and changing out the nivomats for after market shocks would increase the handling and drivability of the car but its decreased it significantly. The springs themselves had no writing on them but I installed them with the tight wrapped coils facing up and the shocks seemed straight forward enough. I also installed the springs by removing the rear bolt of the lower control arm and dropping the springs out so I am figuring my alignment shouldn't be off....How do I fix this!? Thanks all.

Attachments

·
Registered
828 Posts
Not sure about ride quality but you still should have your alignment checked.... changing the springs is what changes the alignment, not how they are installed.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I figured out the problem. The top of the shocks came loose from the shock mount and were just free floating so the car was riding on undampened springs....scary. Question, is there a trick to installing the top of the shocks into the mount. From what I see theres a rubber grommet, the moutn, another rubber grommet, a washer and then the top shock bolt. How does this keep the shock in place? when installed I can move the shock out of the mount? Am I doing something wrong? If any one has a picture of their shock setup and a description how they did it I'd greatly appreciate it.

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
The rear Challenger upper shock mounts attach to the car with two bolts.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yes thank you I understand that. My problem comes when I connect the mount to the shock. us see that lower rubber grommet below the mount. That slips down on mine and the shock just moves independent to the mount. I.e. it is not secured in place and provides no dampening effect to the spring causing my horrendous ride.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
this part. once installed, the mount is secured to the upper inner fender area but the shock moves up and down independent of this mount.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
I can check later when I get home, but I don't think the rear upper mounts are detachable from the rest of the shock, at least not on the Bilsteins?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Mine were the Sachs....once u take the upper bolt off the top of the shock the mounts slid right off and the Koni's didn't come with a mount. Do you have to buy new mounts every time you switch the shocks out?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts