Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I completed my LT header install this weekend and ran into a few problems. First of all I want to say that I have Kook's headers on other vehicles with no issues but Kook's did a horrible job with the RT's, The headers appear to be very good quality but Kook's did not do a good job with the fitment on the RT model. It's impossible to tighten the back motor mount to the bracket with the bracket installed. I had to install the mount to the bracket and then install the bracket to the block. Once installed the back bolts are riding against the headers on both side and I am afraid that it will rub a hole over time in the headers. Kook's also did not supply a stud that can be used with the dipstick tube so I had to use one of the old exhaust bolts and shim it due to the factory headers being a lot thicker. I also had to slot the dipstick tube mount so the tube would seat all the way down. As far as the green cats go I am also disappointed that they would not fit over my 3" catback system so I am going to have to take it to an exhaust shop and have them to spread the pipes so the will butt up together. I can not install my heat shield around the motor mounts with this design and I am afraid they will be damaged from the heat due to the shield not being there. I don't mind spending money for good products, but the manufactures should make sure they fit!!!!!!!!! Kook's should pay for the modifications and make a heat shield for it since their poor design would not let me put my motor mount shield back on.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I have used Kook's before with no issues and great fitment. I was not expecting this with Kook's products and they where already bolted up before the issues came up. This will be my last set of Kook's LT though. $1600 for LT and Cats down the drain. I just got the short end of the stick this time.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
just put a set on a 2010 R/T with no issues, weird.
That's good to hear. These went on 2013 and the install sucked with the items listed in the post. I have put on several headers with no issues up to now. Kook's is normally the ones I go with, but that will change after this. It took ,e 3 times as long due to the issues.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just wrote Kook's about the problems and I will see if they respond.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It turns out the problem is not just Kook's... Vendor Maryland Speed sent me the wrong kit that caused some of my problems. When the order was placed I gave them the application that the headers were being installed on and explained that I had 3" cat-back exhaust for the correct mid-pipes. The 5.7 kit come with a replacement dipstick tube and if the vendor would have sent the correct pipes I would not have to have spent another $150 to have an exhaust shop spread the exhaust pipes so the mid pipe would connect. I have been in contact with Kooks and I have emailed photos to them as well and I am awaiting there reply as to the concern with the headers touching the motor mount housing bolt.

·
Vendor
12,237 Posts
we have installed several of these, with no issues, and getting ready to install again today
Luke

ps will take a closer look as we get engine back into the bay

·
Vendor
12,237 Posts
I just wrote Kook's about the problems and I will see if they respond.

please call Koolaid at Kooks, really nice guy, im sure he will help

704-768-2288 OR 866-586-5665

Luke

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
please call Koolaid at Kooks, really nice guy, im sure he will help

704-768-2288 OR 866-586-5665

Luke

Thanks Luke.. I have been in contact with the Sales Manager Chris and I am awaiting his response to the bolt touching the headers.

·
Vendor
12,237 Posts
Thanks Luke.. I have been in contact with the Sales Manager Chris and I am awaiting his response to the bolt touching the headers.

with all my dealings with Kooks, we have never hard a bad experience, always been very helpful and attentive, Papa Kooks the founder of Kooks Headers is usually there every day and he must be in his 70eesss, very nice man.
Luke

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I attached a photo of the left side that shows the motor mount bracket bolt touching the header. It's also that way on the right side as well.

Attachments

·
Vendor
12,237 Posts
are you talking about the stud for the heat shield???
we have never had an issue,
Luke

·
Vendor
12,237 Posts
please take no offense but i think your making a mountain out of an ant hill, the fit is very good, cut the bolt or change the bolt, performance and hot rodding isnt a perfect science, ingenuity is a must....and whenever your modding and modifying quite often tweaks must be performed.....little to nothing in racing or performance will be a direct bolt in, nearly everything will need to be tweak, part of the charm of doing your own mods
Luke

·
Vendor
12,237 Posts
i remember reading an article in Hot Rod or Car Craft an the title of an article about installing headers

" If it didnt hurt so much you'd kick the tool box again "

Luke

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
No offense, but if the part needed to be changed then they should have supplied it. No place to get a bolt at 2:00 a.m. and that was my only ride home.

·
Banned
697 Posts
It turns out the problem is not just Kook's... Vendor Maryland Speed sent me the wrong kit that caused some of my problems. When the order was placed I gave them the application that the headers were being installed on and explained that I had 3" cat-back exhaust for the correct mid-pipes. The 5.7 kit come with a replacement dipstick tube and if the vendor would have sent the correct pipes I would not have to have spent another $150 to have an exhaust shop spread the exhaust pipes so the mid pipe would connect. I have been in contact with Kooks and I have emailed photos to them as well and I am awaiting there reply as to the concern with the headers touching the motor mount housing bolt.
Hello,

I just found this threads, and thought I would reply.

First I want to say I am sorry for any issues you had. One thing at play here is that installing a set of headers on a Challenger is one of the most difficult header installs Kooks makes. There is a reason a good time to do headers is when you are changing the heads. If you are not doing it on a lift, or at home In a garage, it is terrible.

Now in regards to the issues that we are being blamed for, I want to address them.

The headers you were sent were PT# 6905. These headers are for 5.7L, 6.1L, and 6.4L headers. The 5.7L requires a dipstick spacer (1" long metal tube) that the 6.1/6.4L does not need.. I was under the understanding was included in the hardware kit by default so it was there for 5.7L customers. I have not had a 5.7L customer contact us, so I am not sure if the hardware kit was mispackaged at Kooks, or maybe it fell out somewhere.

In regards to the mid pipes, I sent you mid pipes for a 5.7L, which is 3" inlet, 2.5" outlet. While I do not remember our specific conversation, every 3" exhaust I know of on the market has a 2.5" neck down in the front to connect to the stock 2.5" mid pipes. So if you had a 3" exhaust, and the stock mid pipes/mainfolds, (which you did) that would mean that your catback would have a 2.5" neck down at the point where the stock (and new Kooks) mid pipes connect. Only way this does not happen, would be if you have a custom exhaust that is cut up and welded.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Hello,

I just found this threads, and thought I would reply.

First I want to say I am sorry for any issues you had. One thing at play here is that installing a set of headers on a Challenger is one of the most difficult header installs Kooks makes. There is a reason a good time to do headers is when you are changing the heads. If you are not doing it on a lift, or at home In a garage, it is terrible.

Now in regards to the issues that we are being blamed for, I want to address them.

The headers you were sent were PT# 6905. These headers are for 5.7L, 6.1L, and 6.4L headers. The 5.7L requires a dipstick spacer (1" long metal tube) that the 6.1/6.4L does not need.. I was under the understanding was included in the hardware kit by default so it was there for 5.7L customers. I have not had a 5.7L customer contact us, so I am not sure if the hardware kit was mispackaged at Kooks, or maybe it fell out somewhere.

In regards to the mid pipes, I sent you mid pipes for a 5.7L, which is 3" inlet, 2.5" outlet. While I do not remember our specific conversation, every 3" exhaust I know of on the market has a 2.5" neck down in the front to connect to the stock 2.5" mid pipes. So if you had a 3" exhaust, and the stock mid pipes/mainfolds, (which you did) that would mean that your catback would have a 2.5" neck down at the point where the stock (and new Kooks) mid pipes connect. Only way this does not happen, would be if you have a custom exhaust that is cut up and welded.

When I placed the order I was very specific with the rep that took the order. I advised that I had a 5.7L and I also advised that I had a 3" cat-back exhaust. The headers do fit but the kit I received did not have the dipstick and by speaking with Kook's it did not have the 5.7 in the part number. As far as the mid-pipes go I received a 3" inlet and 3" outlet so I had to pay an additional $150 to have the pipes flanged so they would bolt up. So I guess what you thought was sent is not what I received. If I had received the correct parts then I would have not complained.

·
Banned
697 Posts
When I placed the order I was very specific with the rep that took the order. I advised that I had a 5.7L and I also advised that I had a 3" cat-back exhaust. The headers do fit but the kit I received did not have the dipstick and by speaking with Kook's it did not have the 5.7 in the part number. As far as the mid-pipes go I received a 3" inlet and 3" outlet so I had to pay an additional $150 to have the pipes flanged so they would bolt up. So I guess what you thought was sent is not what I received. If I had received the correct parts then I would have not complained.
Hello,

The headers for the 5.7/6.1/6.4L are PT# 6905. They do not have a separate part number. As I stated, it was my understanding this PT# cam with the dipstick spacer as that is the only thing extra a 5.7L needs. If not, I apologize.

In regards to the exhaust, I am still lost. The stock catted mid pipes on a 5.7L Challenger are 2.5". While you may have already had a 3" exhaust, it had to neck down to 2.5" to be connected to your stock mid pipes mentioned already. Most 3" catbacks on the market neck down to 2.5" in the front to connect to the stock mid pipes because of this. That why you were sent mid pipes with a 2.5" outlet like the ones that were already on the car.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hello,

The headers for the 5.7/6.1/6.4L are PT# 6905. They do not have a separate part number. As I stated, it was my understanding this PT# cam with the dipstick spacer as that is the only thing extra a 5.7L needs. If not, I apologize.

In regards to the exhaust, I am still lost. The stock catted mid pipes on a 5.7L Challenger are 2.5". While you may have already had a 3" exhaust, it had to neck down to 2.5" to be connected to your stock mid pipes mentioned already. Most 3" catbacks on the market neck down to 2.5" in the front to connect to the stock mid pipes because of this. That why you were sent mid pipes with a 2.5" outlet like the ones that were already on the car.

Per Chris with Kook's Headers I was sent the incorrect parts in which it cost me more time and money to get them to fit. I do not mind spending money or time on my car, but your guys should make sure they are sending out the correct parts. On your end it's I'm sorry but on my end it's extra time and money to straighten it out. As far as the part number goes they are the same part number except for the 5.7 RT at the end of the part number.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts