Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. My last ride was a 1999 Z28. I bought it from the Air Force, as it was a U2 chase car from Edwards AFB CA. I made many upgrades to it, suspension, full intake change, and a Eaton 3:73 rear end. It was quick. 13 second 1/4s, no problem. I had that vehicle for 12 years. Sold it with only 73000 miles on her. Now I have a 2012 Challenger R/T Plus. It was time to grow up, but still have some power under the hood. I have started the upgrade process. Spectre cold air intake, Lakewood strut tower brace, and I have replaced the pathetic rear sway bar end links with the Spron links with urethane bushings. Just those few items have made quite a difference in performance and handling. I would like to put drop springs in it some day, but not the pimp 2 inch drop. Folks who do that are in for a surprise down the road as that will ruin the car over time. Mopar makes a 1 inch drop spring that works well with the adaptive suspension. Always research before upgrading folks. Its worth your time to do it right. No snaps at folks who have dropped theirs, they do look sweet, but take care of your frame. I work for the Department of Defense, 35 years deep now. that's how I was able to get a chase car. Connections. I have been to 2 race schools over the years, so I have learned a few tricks. I have pushed my Challenger to 135mph on a local back road. Good thing CHP wasn't around. Very stable at speed. Love the car. I'm 55 years young, marrieds 25 yrs with a 22 yr old son. No he won't be driving my Challenger, ha. Everyone let me know what you've done to your Challenger. Always open to new things to make it look sweeter and move faster. Needs to be California legal though. I have also added tail light blackouts, bra, and rear window sun shade spoiler by GTS. Get compliments constantly. I use Race Glaze for my wax. I recommend that product to all of you. Makes you car slippery as heck, and really brings out the shine. I am very anal about my cars. I even clean out my wheel wells. Yeah, I know, that's ridiculous, but when I take it in for service, they want to put in back on the show room floor. Maybe if they gave me a few bucks I would let them. Glad I joined the forums as I have already found a lot of useful info, and have seen that some of you have some bas ass looking cars. I will try to keep up. Funding and wife permission is always an obstacle. If I don't have the spare cash, I don't get it. Crap!!! Check out my pics as I load. I think you will like my ride.

·
Registered
972 Posts
Welcome from San Antonio.

Incidentally, I have had the opportunity to ride-along in some of those U-2 chase cars when I was stationed at Beale AFB, though that was in a GTO - they also had Camaros and G6s, but all the pilots hated driving the Camaros due to poor visibility.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No doubt, I installed fish eye mirrors to see when making lane changes. Otherwise I would have need a neck like an owl. The Challenger is even worse. Did same with mirrors on Challenger. Never understood why AF used Camaros to chase planes due to visibility. I bet you had a blast running down the runways at high speeds. I would love to run my Challenger down the Travis runway, but I might get run over by a C-5. :)

·
Registered
972 Posts
It was very cool to fly down the runway at 140, but the coolest part was watching the U-2 touch down on those little inline wheels mere feet in front of our car while the spotter (driving the car with me) talked them down over the radio. Loved it. I'm friends with a couple of the U-2 pilots, they're great guys of a different caliber than other pilots I've known.

I vote you try to race those AMC heavies on the Travis strip. Better to ask forgiveness, right? :rolleyes:

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I doubt I would get far, the SP's have a couple of Chargers, and guns, and radios, and a gate I would never make it to. :) Get a lot of compliments from the Mopar friendly SP's. they know my car well. I could never get away with anything on base. They would say "that's Kurt, we just scanned his CAC card on the way in, no prob, we got him. I would hate to be face down with a dog ready to bite, and a M-16 aimed at me. Yeah, those guys in the U2 are awesome. They have a critical and important job.

·
Administrator
17,155 Posts
Congratulations and welcome aboard! :)

·
Registered
9,272 Posts
welcome to CT

1 - 13 of 13 Posts