Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Edelbrock intake size? I am wondering if Edelbrock sized their intake to the OEM TB? Regardless of yes or no should I be looking into picking up a different TB? If so what size? Unless something catastrophic happens I have no plans of forging and increasing displacement of the motor to allow boost past 8lbs. So as I stand I am 500+ wheel horsepower with E-Force, JBA long tubes, PWR heads, and 392 cam.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well from what I've dug up. It looks like a 90 TB would be what fits my application. I needn't worry about velocity as my supercharger handles that. Unless I'm oversimplifying it since I'm not in boost all the time. My only concern is that when I spoke to Edelbrock the "technician" said that the opening is about 90mm. I don't know why he wouldn't tell me specifically even when I pressed him. So if anyone happens have have a snout exposed and wouldn't mind measuring it for me that'd be great. I can maybe find time to get around to it myself this weekend. If I do I'll post my finding in here.

·
Registered
531 Posts
From what I understand over sized throttle bodies are less important on boosted applications, unless were talking serious race cars. If you have 8lbs of boost with a stock TB your not going to get more air into your engine going with a bigger TB since your SC is still only going to push 8lbs.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I obviously look to all mods for a horsepower gain typically. This one though is different. Even if it does not yield much in the way of numbers I have read that a after market TB gives crisper response and removes the throttle delay. The delay other speak of, is it when cruising in 4th and you suddenly mash the gas pedal it takes a sec or two to respond?

·
Premium Member
1,850 Posts
A 90mm will require a tune.
You can run an 85 with no issues.
I'm running a BBK 85mm on my SC'd '12 SRT8.

·
Premium Member
867 Posts
Big gains with larger TB on PD blowers . KB has some back to back tests same boost 85mm and 148 mm 35whp gain. Some very good threads on LX about larger TB on PD blowers., lowers iats also, AJ posted a thread a couple years ago.

Inlet size is important though, no point if it's restrictive . I picked up 35-40 whp going from 87 mm to 148 mm.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It just seems to make sense that a blower would benefit from a larger TB. But I know generally of a motor and not specifically. But my understanding of the fact that a motor is basically just a air pump would lead my to believe that if you are able to draw air in at a greater rate than ambient, or vacuum, then you would also need a larger capacity to flow more volume in and out.

But I also know that bigger doesn't always equate to better and systems need to be sized appropriately.

I will have to check the inlet size myself as it seems noone really knows how big the E-Force inlet is and Edelbrock CS only told me "around or just under 90mm". I am thinking about getting the API 90mm but don't want to waste money on a 90mm TB if the inlet is less than 90mm.

Thank you all for your responses so far. Each post added is more information than I had before.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts