Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Banned
91 Posts
That doesn't sound good, they are still trying to make the case why the Challenger should not be built. Unless it is a real value pricewise, a V8 only is a recipe for disaster. Mustang production has always been mostly 6 cylinders for very good reasons and GM will do the same for the Camaro.
It sounds like GTO redux to me, low volume car that won't sell nearly as well as planned.

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
I'm confident they will build it in some form. Unless they kill the Magnum, they don't have a lot of plant capacity to build the Challenger in great numbers. I don't think it will be limited production numbers like the Viper, but I don't think it will be numbers like the Mustang, either. It could well be a 40,000 unit a year car.

Look at the Mustang. They came in with a bang and were selling for over MSRP for a GT. They built over 150K units a year and now they're stacked up on dealers lots everywhere. A year from now there will be rebates on them. If DCX can build 40K Challengers a year and keep the demand slightly ahead of supply, they don't have to spend a lot of money on advertising and rebates.

40K units a year also helps resale value, since they won't have rebates and they won't be selling them to rental car companies. If sales do start to taper off at some point, they can always come out with special editions like the Daytona or Super Bee in the Charger line.

DCX is very savvy with their marketing. They know there is significant demand for the Challenger. We'll just have to wait and see how they decide to run with it and how the production shakes out.

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
MikeF said:
That doesn't sound good, they are still trying to make the case why the Challenger should not be built. Unless it is a real value pricewise, a V8 only is a recipe for disaster. Mustang production has always been mostly 6 cylinders for very good reasons and GM will do the same for the Camaro.
It sounds like GTO redux to me, low volume car that won't sell nearly as well as planned.
i wouldnt get all worried about it yet. rumors are rumors, but from hemidakota, who is a wealth of information and has ties to people from the inside, THE CAR IS GOING TO BE BUILT. The first year sounds like it will be a low volume, but the following years will have SRT and V6 versions. Hemidakota has been right in the past, so I believe him. If you dont want to, thats your opinion and I'm respectful of that, but dont look at every article that doesnt give a production date as bad news. do you think Lasorda can say "yeah we've made a decision on it, but I cant tell you yet", No, he cant do that, it would just piss us off even more. He is just buying them more time to iron out the wrinkles until they officially announce it.

·
Banned
91 Posts
Actually, I'm fairly apathetic whether or not the Challenger is produced. I was pretty excited until the specs started coming out and it was so heavy and big, but I figured that maybe those things could change so no big deal. But now it has become a pretty amusing exercise in car company politics. No one here knows for certain what will happen unless someone is very senior management at DCX and I don't think anyone is. A flunky can guess but there is no sure thing yet. Welcome to the business side of the car business where the finance guys rule.

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
MikeF said:
Actually, I'm fairly apathetic whether or not the Challenger is produced. I was pretty excited until the specs started coming out and it was so heavy and big, but I figured that maybe those things could change so no big deal. But now it has become a pretty amusing exercise in car company politics. No one here knows for certain what will happen unless someone is very senior management at DCX and I don't think anyone is. A flunky can guess but there is no sure thing yet. Welcome to the business side of the car business where the finance guys rule.
Yes, but most every new car that comes out has to go thru that process. The difference with the Challenger is that it is such a highly talked about and anticipated car that it is getting a lot more buzz than, say, a 4-door GM sedan.

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
hemidakota posted this on the srtforums. its tradmark rights for:

Word MarkCHALLENGER

Goods and ServicesIC 012. US 019 021 023 031 035 044. G & S: automobiles and structural parts and engines therefor

Standard Characters Claimed

Mark Drawing Code

(4) STANDARD CHARACTER MARK

Design Search Code

Serial Number78607238

Filing DateApril 12, 2005

Current Filing Basis

1BOriginal Filing Basis

1BPublished for Opposition July 25, 2006

Owner(APPLICANT) DaimlerChrysler Corporation CORPORATION DELAWARE CIMS 483-02-19 1000 Chrysler Drive Auburn Hills MICHIGAN 48326

Type of MarkTRADEMARK

RegisterPRINCIPAL

Live/Dead IndicatorLIVE

as i said earlier...dcx is just buying time to announce...

·
Registered
102 Posts
I think they'll make it, I feel positive about this.
Personally I am still committed to buying a Challenger, provided it will be VERY similar to the concept and the price reasonable.
I am also not bothered by the dimensions (it's basically like the old one...) and weight: it might be a little on the heavy side, but if people were expecting this vehicle to be some kind of drag racing wet dream, instead of looking at retro muscle cars, they ought to research the possibility of buying an Ariel Atom...

By the way, from what I read on Mustang forums, the GT's are still sold with a mark up, in many cases.
A situation not as bad as a year ago when it took me 3 months to find my Mustang GT at MSRP, but mark ups for this car aren't over yet...
The poster that said that you can see many Mustangs on dealership lots is right, but most of them are V6s, seen that Ford still produces them in vastly superior numbers to GTs (ratio: 3 to 1)...

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
I have been guessing the official announcement will be arond SEMA.....DC has some things going on for SEMA that make me even more positive the car will be built....

..........watch for SEMA.......:D

·
Registered
155 Posts
Legion681 said:
I think they'll make it, I feel positive about this.
Personally I am still committed to buying a Challenger, provided it will be VERY similar to the concept and the price reasonable.
I am also not bothered by the dimensions (it's basically like the old one...) and weight: it might be a little on the heavy side, but if people were expecting this vehicle to be some kind of drag racing wet dream, instead of looking at retro muscle cars, they ought to research the possibility of buying an Ariel Atom...

By the way, from what I read on Mustang forums, the GT's are still sold with a mark up, in many cases.
A situation not as bad as a year ago when it took me 3 months to find my Mustang GT at MSRP, but mark ups for this car aren't over yet...
The poster that said that you can see many Mustangs on dealership lots is right, but most of them are V6s, seen that Ford still produces them in vastly superior numbers to GTs (ratio: 3 to 1)...

i've never seen a gt sell for more than msrp, my friend bought his at 1000 below invoice got a steal on it.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Challenger4-TheWin said:
i've never seen a gt sell for more than msrp, my friend bought his at 1000 below invoice got a steal on it.
I said that still many dealerships apply mark ups on GTs...I didn't say that people buy them (at the beginning, say october 04 till mid 05, they surely were buying them above MSRP). I am sure you know that a dealership, if they can milk you for more money, they'd do it in a millisecond, so they still try...
In my mind they do this because there are still people that don't do any research into what they are buying and the possibilities that are available out there. Nowadays, from what I hear, they try to push you by saying that if you want a GT, you still gotta wait several months (I heard up to 5 or 6. I personally don't believe it to be this long of a time to wait, but 3-4 months I am more inclined to believe).
But to smart people out there, this is an idle "threat" because you can find GTs at MSRP or less relatively easily.
When I bought mine in January 05, it took me forever to find one at MSRP...Never mind less than MSRP, it was simply not the case, no one would sell you one for less than MSRP.
The ones you could buy were ALL with mark ups (3-5k, some even more) and people were buying them at those prices. I had to check ALL Ford dealerships in THREE states to find my car...and in those three states (NH, MA, RI), I found only TWO GTs at MSRP...
So, when you have people tell you that they bought a GT at MSRP or less, if that happened in the first 6-8 months this car was out, chances are that a good bunch of them is not telling the truth. Nowadays it's different...

For V6, it's totally different...there are so many, it's not even funny...only the GTs are sought after...

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
I think one of the things that is the most amusing to me is that DCX has been the biggest risk-taker among the domestic car companies, considering they came out with the Viper, Prowler, Crossfire, SRT10 truck, and 4-door Charger. Some were a success, some were not. But they all are/were ballsy vehicles. (memo: I have a Charger and love it, 4 doors and all). Yet, with what seems to me to be a sure-fire thing with the Challenger, they are dragging their feet, at least in public. I don't know of any other vehicle in the last 20 years that has had as much pent-up demand as the Challenger, not even the ill-fated GTO.

Having said that, I think DCX is crazy like a fox. They know they are going to build the Challenger. But they are going to milk the passion for this car for all it's worth in the meantime by being coy about it, teasing us with running prototypes, etc. If you look at all the hype this car has generated without an official announcement of it's production, imagine the media frenzy that's going to occur when the announcement is actually made. An announcement that could be followed with a production car within 12 months. It will be the automotive equivalent of the Second Coming of Christ.

Those "dummies" and "stonewallers" at DCX will be laughing all the way to the bank.

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
JonW said:
I think one of the things that is the most amusing to me is that DCX has been the biggest risk-taker among the domestic car companies, considering they came out with the Viper, Prowler, Crossfire, SRT10 truck, and 4-door Charger. Some were a success, some were not. But they all are/were ballsy vehicles. (memo: I have a Charger and love it, 4 doors and all). Yet, with what seems to me to be a sure-fire thing with the Challenger, they are dragging their feet, at least in public. I don't know of any other vehicle in the last 20 years that has had as much pent-up demand as the Challenger, not even the ill-fated GTO.

Having said that, I think DCX is crazy like a fox. They know they are going to build the Challenger. But they are going to milk the passion for this car for all it's worth in the meantime by being coy about it, teasing us with running prototypes, etc. If you look at all the hype this car has generated without an official announcement of it's production, imagine the media frenzy that's going to occur when the announcement is actually made. An announcement that could be followed with a production car within 12 months. It will be the automotive equivalent of the Second Coming of Christ.

Those "dummies" and "stonewallers" at DCX will be laughing all the way to the bank.
i have to agree with you all the way. and from what i've heard from good ol' reliable hemidakota about the flex parts being tested, there is no question about it now.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had a 1971 Dodge Challenger R/T that was Plum Crazy, the most responsive automobile that I have ever owned. I had a friend that had the same year Vette and each weekend, he would search me out to trade cars. I enjoyed driving the Vette, sure, but I truly loved that Challenger more. When I saw that Dodge may reoffer the Challenger in 2008 or 2009...My hopes were restored. If offered....I WILL be purchasing one and by then, I will be 58 and I am sure the envy of all car lovers.

Mike E.

·
Registered
17 Posts
As long as the car is built I don't care when they make an announcement. To be honest I can't afford it for a couple of years anyway so if they don't build it till '08 I'm fine with it personally. From a business stand point I think they need to get it out as soon as possible. Auto industry trends move so fast that who knows what's gonna sell in three years. Fuel prices may go so high that we all buy diesel VW's (noooooo). I think a decision to build it in low volumes could work fine. DCX has been concentrating on making their assembly plants more versatile (Belvidere IL is building the Caliber and will be adding the Jeep Compass and Patriot). If they wanted to build 150,000 a year then Brampton wouldn't have capacity but if they only build 10,000 V-8 models then maybe Brampton can handle it. The only problem there is sourcing model specific parts (body panels, head & tail lights etc.) at a reasonable price. I think it's gonna get built, it's only a matter of time.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Yesterday I saw a friend who owns a Dodge/Chrysler dealership and he told me that DCX will build the CHALLENGER for sure (it is already decided internally), it will be officially announced this fall and there is no V6!

·
Registered
155 Posts
nextchall said:
Yesterday I saw a friend who owns a Dodge/Chrysler dealership and he told me that DCX will build the CHALLENGER for sure (it is already decided internally), it will be officially announced this fall and there is no V6!
i hope your right about them building the challenger, i hope your wrong about the v6

·
Banned
91 Posts
No one knows for sure yet, especially about the no V6 part. It's all bs. I will say though that if it is V8 only, the program will be a failure, another Thunderbird or Prowler.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts