Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
It's kind of been that way for a while as most of our vehicles now are North American made and I'm OK with that. I just hope the automakers continue partnering with our neighbors in Canada and Mexico and keep those RWD V8 monsters rolling off the assembly lines.

·
Premium Member
338 Posts
That's an Australian assembly line. I suspect that the last American rear-wheel drive, manual V-8 sedan actually built here was many years ago.

·
Registered
14,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Right but its association with GM, Chevy V8, Tremec trans, etc. As close as you can get.

The last manual trans sedan actually built in the US?, now that would be a good trivia question.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2015 Dodge Challenger SRT
499 Posts
I had a 2016 Chevy SS (A6, Sun Roof, Spare) for about six months. Mostly enjoyed it. I loved the power and the exhaust note of the LS3. The magnetic shocks and suspension provided a good handling car for its size and was noticeably adjustable from Touring to Sport to Performance to Track. And the interior was well thought out -- better than my '11 Challenger or '13 Charger for the most part -- and had good seats. The Bose sound system was better than many owners gave it credit for. Did I mention the power? :)

But when we needed to add an SUV to the garage I volunteered to trade the SS. My cars are daily drivers and the Chevy My Link system is way inferior to the Uconnect system in our Mopars to the point of frustration and aggravation. The navigation system would occasionally think I was a few hundred yards off of the highway and then continuously try to get me to make a turn to get back to the highway I was already on. The rear seat cup-holders were only accessible if you folded down the pass-through to the trunk --- which brings me to the fact that the rear seats don't fold down.

Another SS owner described the car well .... it's a $35,000 performance sedan with $15,000 worth of unwanted options. Thank God I bought mine last July when they were part of GM's 20% off sale.

Still ..... if I had a multi-car garage and the money to fill it, I'd have one as a sleeper toy. :)

·
Premium Member
338 Posts
One other thing about that picture. I don't know why they're cheering for making the last car; they're probably going to be unemployed soon.

Yayyyyy! We're losing our jobs!! Yayyyy!

Never understood that. . .

·
Registered
14,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
One other thing about that picture. I don't know why they're cheering for making the last car; they're probably going to be unemployed soon.

Yayyyyy! We're losing our jobs!! Yayyyy!

Never understood that. . .
They're all Union so maybe not. When FCA shut down the Dart line last year most of those guys either kept getting paid or got moved to other jobs.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,994 Posts
GM guy for 40 years and was excited when they said they were bringing back the GTO. What a disappointment. Looked at the SS also but again GM corporate think always screws up a good idea when they produce it.

·
Registered
570 Posts
That's an Australian assembly line. I suspect that the last American rear-wheel drive, manual V-8 sedan actually built here was many years ago.
Not sure about this, but there's a good chance that Cadillac may be included somewhere in that discussion.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
I'd love to own a Chevy SS. I think it would make a great comfy, fun daily driver. V8 and RWD are requirements for me, and the stick option would really catch my attention. Unfortunately the SS was never offered in Canada. Closest thing would be G8 GXP, which I actually did kinda consider. But the Challenger is the right car for me.

·
Registered
4,292 Posts
I raced one of these on the drag strip with my old '12 6-speed 392 and beat it by several car lengths :)

·
Registered
216 Posts
Great performance sedan, I am sorry to see production come to an end. Makes me wish that dodge would offer the manual in the Charger.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts