Dodge Challenger Forum banner

21 - 40 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Jesus Christ that first concept looks horrendous. My hope is that with time dodge will stick with the same basic body style that we all love, but continue making small detailed improvements without feeling the angst to change it into something useless. it will be interesting to see the challenger be one of the first cars to go on for 20 years or so without changing drastically, I would think that many years of tweaking and performance improvements would produce one hell of a car.

·
Super Moderator
13,982 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
If Dodge built a new retro-style Road Runner, what year should it be based on- 1969, 1970 or 1971?

RR1.jpg
RR2.jpg
RR3.jpg

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
18,040 Posts
Agreed ^^^ The 70

A Guy

Reactions: hemi1031

·
Premium Member
9,429 Posts
I think if they make that dramatic of a change they should just change the name also. That is no Dodge Challenger. New Coronet?
The modern charger is another one in name only. Sadly somehow people bought into it. It should have been a Polara remake instead.

·
Premium Member
9,429 Posts

·
Registered
430 Posts
No, just no. The only thing Challenger about that is the shape of the side windows, and even that's wrong.
Also no. These guys can't seem to grasp the concept of retro styling. Challenger is the one car people buy because of its style, not in spite of it.

That's more like it. Keep what's good about the current model. Looks like it sacrifices some back-seat area, but it looks lean and mean, without the stupid gaping maw of a grille and slit headlights that you see everywhere today. Although I have to say the quarters look more Cuda than Challenger, but that's not really a bad thing.

·
Registered
2018 Challenger R/T Scat Pack
225 Posts
Sorry, not original but...why must every rendering look like a Camaro? The Challenger doesn't, I imagine anyone with skills could morph a Challenger into something "sleeker" without just drawing a Camaro. Whoever thinks the next generation, if there is one, must be a radical departure hasn't been paying attention to what makes the Challenger so appealing...

Here is a decent body shape. Get rid of the hideous grilles and you have something. Obviously meant to be a "Cuda, but it's closer to what I'd like to see. Of course, it's very similar to a current Challenger...but that's the point

View attachment 996937

A Guy
As always, intelligent and insitefull post buy A Guy.

I agree, they are not going to make the next Challenger a Camaro/Mustang sports car abomination.

I feel like when we reply to these pictures we just feed the trolls.

·
Registered
2014 SRT Core
9,537 Posts
If Dodge built a new retro-style Road Runner, what year should it be based on- 1969, 1970 or 1971?
I've always been a fan of the 70, but I don't think in this day and age Dodge would go with that type of a front facade, everything today has to be more aerodynamic. My guess is if they ever did it, it would be more like the 71.

Concerning the Challenger I never really ever believe any of these concept drawing as they always seem way more radical than any car ever is when it actually comes out. I certainly can't see most Challenger buyers (many if not most of which bought because of the retro styling cues) going for that radical of a departure from the original theme.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Sure looks like a Camaro to me.
Ditto from me. I bought a 2014 Mustang, as I thought at that time it was a nice job at retro'ing the early Mustang. Then it turned into the remainder of the Fords in styling. Move forward to 2020, and I bought a GT Challenger, as it mimics the beautiful lines of the old Challenger. If the engineers are testing waters with this new Challenger concept look, please move away from copying the Camaro.

In fact, give this concept car pic to GM, and let them use it as a future Camaro.

·
Registered
687 Posts
....I know there's a lot of guys that want to go with more modern styling but hey there are already a bunch of cars out there that offer that.....
Exactly!!....if you want that...buy a Charger...

·
Registered
783 Posts
There have been renderings of retro/modern version '71-72 Road Runner/GTX.
I can't remember if it was in Hot Rod magazine or not.
Anyways, the proportions were pretty close and the car looked good.

·
Registered
2014 SRT Core
9,537 Posts
Well there was this rendering of a modern GTX that wasn't too bad, it certainly looks like it could actually be made out of a modern Challenger.

·
Registered
2018 Challenger R/T Plus - Billet Clearcoat
394 Posts
The following pixel portrait comes from an artist named Dhwanil Panchal, who, according to his Instagram description, handles transportation design in Detroit. The European-influenced design was completed in an FCA studio and aims to portray the next-generation Challenger- an electric muscle car.

Of course, this could be Dodge testing the waters via social media, while it may also be a more serious experiment for introducing an actual EV.

Here's what FCA CEO Mike Manley told The Detroit News in December last year: "I think that electrification will certainly be part of the formula that says what is American muscle in the future," the head honcho explained. "What it isn’t going to be is a V-8, supercharged, 700-horsepower engine."

https://www.autoevolution.com/news/next-generation-dodge-charger-rendered-by-fca-designer-experiment-looks-amazing-145127.html
Im not real interested in not being able to see out of the car very well with those tiny side windows. Has no vintage look to it either. No Thanks.

·
Registered
2018 Challenger R/T Plus - Billet Clearcoat
394 Posts

·
Registered
783 Posts
Reactions: 70barcuda

·
Registered
10 Posts
After a little bit of research I learned the designer behind this is Doug Schramm and I was excited to learn someone is currently bringing the design to life using a 2010 Challenger, Steve Mirabelli. Here is his Youtube channel. I hope FCA is listening.

This is the only one I have seen so far that I like at least as much as the current body style. I would definitely purchase.

21 - 40 of 58 Posts