Dodge Challenger Forum banner

41 - 58 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Sadly, I believe the writing is on the wall regarding V8's and electrification. Even this 'Manley' guy said it, so it is probably where Dodge will be going in the future. Can't say I blame them though as all car manufacturers are going down that road right now, so they want to keep up I guess. It will be a sad day if ever Dodge abandons the V8 engine. Anyhow, as for the future Challenger my guess is they will electrify it and sleek it down. I sure do hope they keep the retro design, but I wouldn't be surprised if they don't looking at those sketches...

·
Registered
872 Posts
The following pixel portrait comes from an artist named Dhwanil Panchal, who, according to his Instagram description, handles transportation design in Detroit. The European-influenced design was completed in an FCA studio and aims to portray the next-generation Challenger- an electric muscle car.

Of course, this could be Dodge testing the waters via social media, while it may also be a more serious experiment for introducing an actual EV.

Here's what FCA CEO Mike Manley told The Detroit News in December last year: "I think that electrification will certainly be part of the formula that says what is American muscle in the future," the head honcho explained. "What it isn’t going to be is a V-8, supercharged, 700-horsepower engine."

https://www.autoevolution.com/news/next-generation-dodge-charger-rendered-by-fca-designer-experiment-looks-amazing-145127.html
Looks like the abominable bastard love child of a Camaro and a Chrysler Crossfire...no thank you. If this is anything like what we're getting in 2023 or beyond, I'll just keep my 2016 SRT. And then I'll buy another of the current gen cars. And another. And another. Until I can't find any more in decent shape for a good price.

I have to believe that Dodge isn't stupid enough to go with a design like this when the BIGGEST thing that has ensured the success of the Challenger is its retro-with-a-touch-of-modern styling.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
18,040 Posts
I think sometimes manufacturers float some crazy design so all the enthusiasts will be outraged, then happy when they only make small cosmetic changes instead ;)

A Guy

·
Registered
872 Posts
Sadly, I believe the writing is on the wall regarding V8's and electrification. Even this 'Manley' guy said it, so it is probably where Dodge will be going in the future. Can't say I blame them though as all car manufacturers are going down that road right now, so they want to keep up I guess. It will be a sad day if ever Dodge abandons the V8 engine. Anyhow, as for the future Challenger my guess is they will electrify it and sleek it down. I sure do hope they keep the retro design, but I wouldn't be surprised if they don't looking at those sketches...
If they do sleek it down, it may be even easier to replicate the original car's lines more closely. The Challenger as it is now is damn close and still gorgeous, but just a tad too thick in a couple places.

As for the V8, its unclear as of now what electrification means. It could mean something as mild as the eTorque system they introduced on the RAM trucks, paired with smaller displacement NA and FI six (V or inline, who knows yet?) cylinders and perhaps one or two smaller displacement V8 (probably FI) options. Or, it could mean that the Challenger will go completely electric, God forbid.

Not only would it kill the soul of the car, those electric batteries present problems of their own (weight, charge time, service life) and they're horrific for the environment, and third world countries, to produce and eventually recycle/dispose of. Not to mention you're still producing carbon emissions from electricity production to power the car on top of that. It is my (slightly informed) opinion that electric cars in their current form are a net neutral for the environment at best.

One thing is for sure though, the big displacement NA V8's are going the way of the Dodo eventually, unless we make some radical advancements in ICE technology and drop some serious weight off of these platforms, and fast. Something like Mazda's SkyactivX system looks promising.

·
Registered
189 Posts
If they do sleek it down, it may be even easier to replicate the original car's lines more closely. The Challenger as it is now is damn close and still gorgeous, but just a tad too thick in a couple places.

As for the V8, its unclear as of now what electrification means. It could mean something as mild as the eTorque system they introduced on the RAM trucks, paired with smaller displacement NA and FI six (V or inline, who knows yet?) cylinders and perhaps one or two smaller displacement V8 (probably FI) options. Or, it could mean that the Challenger will go completely electric, God forbid.

Not only would it kill the soul of the car, those electric batteries present problems of their own (weight, charge time, service life) and they're horrific for the environment, and third world countries, to produce and eventually recycle/dispose of. Not to mention you're still producing carbon emissions from electricity production to power the car on top of that. It is my (slightly informed) opinion that electric cars in their current form are a net neutral for the environment at best.

One thing is for sure though, the big displacement NA V8's are going the way of the Dodo eventually, unless we make some radical advancements in ICE technology and drop some serious weight off of these platforms, and fast. Something like Mazda's SkyactivX system looks promising.

I agree, keeping it retro styling and slimming it down a bit could make it look even more like the classic one. I know many here don't want to see it slim down, but I wouldn't mind if they keep the heritage look.

·
Registered
54 Posts
If the new design looks anywhere close to that without a high horsepower (500+) V8, I'll look at the new or late model Z07 Corvettes. The retro design, size (BIG!) and V8 options are what drew me to the Challenger and if they abandon that platform, it will be time to look at other options.

·
Registered
2019 Sublime Shaker and 2010 Detonator Yellow R/T Classic
1,895 Posts
Yup, total fail in that sketch, I don't think the person that dreamt that up has any respect for the current design/platform. The biggest reason I wanted a Challenger (and bought my first in 2010) was the design, not the performance. That still remains true today, many cars today can out perform an R/T/SRT/Hellcat but can they look as cool as a Challenger?

·
Registered
5,901 Posts
Well there was this rendering of a modern GTX that wasn't too bad, it certainly looks like it could actually be made out of a modern Challenger.

View attachment 996996
Since the "E" bodies were nothing more than a shortened wheel base "B" body, the idea of the modern Challenger evolving into a 71-74 "B" body is not that huge of a "stretch". That being said, I would love to see a '70 version with a "Superbird" option or a '69 Charger with a "Daytona" option. But I guess it does not matter as I am so invested in mods on my 2015 Challenger I do not think I could part with it to get a new toy.

·
Premium Member
444 Posts
I say leave the Challenger as is if you want a Camero you need to jump ship and head to the Chevy house.
My 2018 Challenger inside and out is perfect the way it is and no changes needed. New design model are nice and none I've seen come close the today's Challenger, but this V6 version of the Challenger is perfect for me just the way it is. Good mpg, fast enough, beautiful design, excellent value, ultimate cruise car and makes me feel proud to own and drive it. It will be hard to improve on perfection.

·
Registered
5,901 Posts
Yup, total fail in that sketch, I don't think the person that dreamt that up has any respect for the current design/platform. The biggest reason I wanted a Challenger (and bought my first in 2010) was the design, not the performance. That still remains true today, many cars today can out perform an R/T/SRT/Hellcat but can they look as cool as a Challenger? View attachment 997023
It's not just about getting from point "a" to point "b" the fastest but how good you look and how comfortable you are getting there!

·
Super Moderator
13,982 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Dodge reads our forum. If enough of us Challenger enthusiasts turn thumbs down on the artist rendering, maybe they'll go in a different direction.

·
Registered
2014 SRT Core
9,537 Posts
After a little bit of research I learned the designer behind this is Doug Schramm and I was excited to learn someone is currently bringing the design to life using a 2010 Challenger, Steve Mirabelli. Here is his Youtube channel. I hope FCA is listening.
Nice, that should make for one of the better versions of the Challenger. The superbird mods never looked quite right to me, although some looked better than others. Making a 71 style should come out pretty sweet.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
18,040 Posts

·
Registered
796 Posts
I would bet that's actually the drawing of the next Camaro. Sometime they do try to "fool" us.

A few decades ago, I was invited to a GM clinic and also part of the discussion group. A bunch of us (15) were gather to talk about interior comfort in cars and was paid $XX. Toward the end, they took us to a different room and showed us a few drawings of future Cadillac sedans. The had the Cadillac emblem. No question. I memorized the drawings. The designed showed up a few years later as the Lexus GS sedan (2nd gen)

I'm not saying the Lexus GS was designed by GM. Sometimes they used this opportunity to gather marketing information, and reaction not from their target customers. Asking Challenger owners what they think about a sports car design will include some bias. Asking boat owners who are Teachers about what catches their eyes for a sports car design may be golden.

41 - 58 of 58 Posts