Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
02/10/06...

Back to the future - New era muscle cars rev retro revolution at Chicago Auto Show
Northwest Indiana Times
"American manufacturers have taken a new look at the 'retro' phenomenon sweeping the country over the past 10 years," said Robert Kocher, president of the Midwest Automotive Media Association. "This year's Chicago Auto Show resurrects a number of nameplates and concept car designs that come straight out of the 1960s muscle car era."

DaimlerChrysler has gained significant ground over the past three years with Chrysler Group's line of Hemi V-8 engine-powered cars and trucks that set the stage for some powerful new stars in the years to come.

At the Dodge display, enthusiasts can see the Hemi-powered 2006 Dodge Challenger concept car cloned from the 1970 Challenger. And with 425-horsepower, Challenger is the buzz at this year's show.
Back to the future - PITSTOP
Business Standard Motoring
The American automobile industry might be down and out today, but there was a time when it wasn’t like this. Way back in the sixties, Motown was in its heyday. Muscle cars ruled the streets and back then if you didn’t have a rumbling V8 you would be charged with indecency. However, if the recently concluded Detroit motorshow is anything to go by, then America is headed for better days, because two of the big three manufacturers are bringing back cars that were way too good to be left in motoring history books...

The classic comeback from Chrysler is the Dodge Challenger. The bad boy’s muscle car of the 1970s, the 21st century Challenger is based on the same platform as the Chrysler 300C, but it’s aggression personified. It features the classic crossbar Dodge grille and deeply recessed quad headlamps. Muscle power comes from a 425 hp 6100cc Hemi V8 monster that goes to the rear wheels. Though it’s longer and wider than the original, the overall proportions have been retained. And while we absolutely love these cars, we just can’t imagine how they could stop making them in the first place.
Dodge, Chrysler and Jeep are all still on a roll
Dundas Star News
One of the reasons why the North American International Auto Show in Detroit is a "must" is to see what DaimlerChrysler is going to do to wow the more than 6,000 journalists who annually attend. And this year, they didn't disappoint.

From sexy concept cars like the Dodge Challenger to the youth oriented Caliber to Chryslers first-ever SUV to a pair of go anywhere Jeeps, DaimlerChrysler is still very much on a roll.

Looking like it was one step away from production was the Dodge Challenger Concept, based on the same Bramalea-built LX rear-drive chassis used on the Chrysler 300 and the Dodge Charger.

The signature accent or Ïthrust line- runs the length of the body high up near the sills, making the concept look mean and tough.
Power comes from a 6.1-litre, SRT-8 version of the Hemi V8 that produces 425 hp and a 0-100 km/h acceleration time of just 4.5 seconds.

The hood and the deck lid of the Challenger concept vehicle are higher than the 1970 version in order to lift and "present" the front and rear themes. The grille treatment has the signature Dodge crossbar grille and four headlamps deeply recessed into the iconic car-wide horizontal cavity. The hood reprises the original Challenger "performance hood" and its twin diagonal scoops, now with functional butterfly-valve intakes.

The Challenger concept is also capable of seating four adults thanks to a longer roofline. Like the original, the Challenger concept is a true hardtop with no B-pillar. Unlike the original, the glass is flush fitting, making the concept look even sleeker.
While the Challenger is aimed squarely at North American nostalgia, Dodge is taking on the world with the entry level Caliber that will be sold in more than 100 countries.
Challenger given a "go"
allpar.com
“As of yesterday (Feb. 9), Challenger was given a “go” by management. Model year unknown. 6.1 liter Hemi and 6-speed manual transmission only.” — “Der Spien,” a former engineer with DCX.

·
Registered
250 Posts
and as hemidakota posted on SRTFORUMS.COM:

VEHICLE NAME: CHALLENGER
(300-Charger-Magnum will be switching to this new platform in 2010 or sooner)

PLATFORM CODE: LY

DERIVATIVE VEHICLE?: LT

ENGINE CODE:
  • EER 2.7L V6 DOHC 24 VALVE MPI (export)
  • EFB 3.0L V6 Base
  • EXL 3.0L V6 TURBO DIESEL (export)
  • EGG 3.5L V6 HIGH OUTPUT 24V MPI
  • EYB 4.0L V6 BASE (Phoenix)
  • EZB 5.7L V8 HEMI MDS
  • EZD 5.7L V8 HEMI VVT MDS
  • ESF 6.1L V8 SMPI
:D :D :D put some worries to rest I guess :D

·
Registered
102 Posts
All good news ! :)
Though I have my doubts on the "only 6.1L + 6sp" thingy, though I wouldn't mind manual or auto, it's all good to me. :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
allpar is a pretty reliable source. . . I really hope that they're right. I've never wanted a new car as much as I want this new challenger.

·
Registered
598 Posts
...I'm glad to hear the car is going to be made,....However,....How did I know DCX wasn't gonna go for the 6.4L 500++hp hemi in the srt-8 version! Oh well,....they'll never catch the Shelby GT500 now,...if allpar is right with their source.:( Not smart DCX!:rolleyes: ....You could have at least made it an option....well you'll be eatin' alot of Shelby dust now,...heck if your going to compete with the GT500, Then Compete will ya!!!!.....One time to remake history as the current muscle car that ruled the streets and track and,......foul ball,....man what are you guys thinkin' over there,...no confidence in your higher hp 6.4L motor....or maybe your just scared of viper sales,...which by the way aren't that good anyway....:rolleyes: Dcx,...and the srt-8 team,...you let me and countless others down,if this is true!:mad: 6.1l is ok,...and I am glad to hear the car is going to be made like I said......but the 6.4l would have solidify victory against all its competition.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Vanishing Point said:
...I'm glad to hear the car is going to be made,....However,....How did I know DCX wasn't gonna go for the 6.4L 500++hp hemi in the srt-8 version!
I'm not so sure about it. hemidakota said on srtforums.com that the 6.1L 6sp would be in the R/T model and I haven't seen conclusive proof (ok any proof) that R/T = SRT in this case. Combine that with a huge looming horsepower war and I still think the 6.4L will find its way in once the SRT boys work their magic, maybe in fall of 2007. It all depends on whether R/T = SRT. If Dodge comes out and says R/T = SRT then you're right kiss the 6.4L goodbye until the competition forces a big HP upgrade, probably years from debut.

I'm much more worried about this being a limited production model for its lifetime, not just the first year while they work through the rollout bugs. Huge mistake IMHO to exclude teenyboppers and secretaries. hemidakota and allpar seem to diverge here as well; looking at the engine list in a previous message in this thread you have almost as many engine options as the original challenger (another reason why it seems like a 6.4L could be added easily to the list).

Its all still just conjecture, except for the high likelihood of the car actually being built which everyone seems to agree on.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Vanishing Point said:
...I'm glad to hear the car is going to be made,....However,....How did I know DCX wasn't gonna go for the 6.4L 500++hp hemi in the srt-8 version! Oh well,....they'll never catch the Shelby GT500 now,.
Now how much sense would it make for Chrysler to offer the top engine right off the bat with the new model? The looks alone will sell this thing as long as "Hemi" is scawled across the valve covers.

Here is the script...

Build Challenger with 6.1L. Sell bunches. Wait until the car has been out a couple of years, then introduce the 6.4L. Mags go nuts again. The power mongers trade in their 2 year old 6.1s for 6.4s.

Guys, this isn't that hard to figure out.:p

·
Registered
89 Posts
Jimbo said:
Build Challenger with 6.1L. Sell bunches. Wait until the car has been out a couple of years, then introduce the 6.4L. Mags go nuts again. The power mongers trade in their 2 year old 6.1s for 6.4s.

Bingo, he's right. Gotta be the oldest trick in the book. :rolleyes:

Ya want the 500hp++ hemi beast you have to wait for it. :( Or buy early and trade up later. :D

·
Registered
12 Posts
Who knows, maybe they're keepin the SRT8 6.4L on the downlow. And then really suprise us all. Or maybe, they're going to offer a 500hp version of the 6.1L. Who knows, anyhing can happend and we have until next year to find out. With all the hype about the SRT8 they just might. I wouldn't be suprised if they release the Challenger with an option of AT LEAST 475hp, maybe they'll throw a supercharger on the 6.1L and call it the SRT8 along with a few other goodies (suspension, gears, etc.) and i'm sure they're going to release it with an available auto. JMO

·
Registered
250 Posts
I don't really care, either way, I'm getting the 6.1/6.4 which ever is offered, and if I have to make up for the lack of hp in the 6.1 (375+rwhp is a lack?! lol) I'll call up GS Motorsports and order their SRT-8 supercharger kit for $6k and have 500rwhp :D

·
Registered
31 Posts
One the S/C from GS Motorsports, my thougths exactly. I've already contacted them.

With the 6.1 specs at 425hp, and claims of over 460hp(!) dyno tested, I think it won't even take a S/C to get near 500hp. My wish list is superchip, header/exhaust package and S/C, in that order depending on what DCX gives us. I'm sure someone (maybe Viper King Hennessey) will have this 6.1 over 600hp fairly quickly. The 6.4L (esp. with mods) would make it a supercar.

·
Registered
250 Posts
davidb said:
One the S/C from GS Motorsports, my thougths exactly. I've already contacted them.

With the 6.1 specs at 425hp, and claims of over 460hp(!) dyno tested, I think it won't even take a S/C to get near 500hp. My wish list is superchip, header/exhaust package and S/C, in that order depending on what DCX gives us. I'm sure someone (maybe Viper King Hennessey) will have this 6.1 over 600hp fairly quickly. The 6.4L (esp. with mods) would make it a supercar.
The highest I've seen a dyno on an SRT8 was at about the 370hp mark.. maybe your post was a misprint? I've driven the 6.1 and it sure as HELL doesn't have 470whp. lol

·
Registered
598 Posts
Jimbo said:
Now how much sense would it make for Chrysler to offer the top engine right off the bat with the new model? The looks alone will sell this thing as long as "Hemi" is scawled across the valve covers.

Here is the script...

WRONG,....It makes ALL the sense!....With the Shelby being released this summer,...it is vital that they release it very soon(maybe 6 months later in the srt-8 version)and leak information out there that you will!...but do it soon!..That's why I said make it so we have options(5.7,6.1,6.4,heck even 6cyl.if they want)....."choices" just like the old days with its competition doing the same..... You say wait in a couple of years,.....wrong again,:rolleyes: ...these muscle cars won't be around for a long time,...especially if liberals have their way and control again on the American auto manufactures with their restrictions and penalties,..same as before,history has a way of repeating itself;) .....Listen,...my whole thing,along with thousands of others,....if your going to compete,...Then Compete!!(that's in any kind of business),...that's why I said DCX should have options on ordering what package customers want....and this my friend, is a no-brainer,.....this is only of course,...that the info that allpar released is correct;)....and "that".... is not hard to figure out.;) :p

·
Registered
598 Posts
Challenger_Nut said:
Does anyone else think they will bump the displacment to the magic number of 426 for an SRT version down the road.
Don't hold your breath, contrary what others might think;) ...because now is the time to offer several engine options(competition is already up there)......that is to say only if allpar's info is correct.;) I mean,..if they want to release it(6.4l), 6 months later in a srt-8 version,..then that's good,..but leak some info out there that your going to do it,...as people might put their money in something different.;)

·
Registered
89 Posts
Challenger_Nut said:
Does anyone else think they will bump the displacment to the magic number of 426 for an SRT version down the road.
I've mentioned that in a previous post weeks ago. Its probably at the back of most peoples minds. The magic numbers of 392, 426 and 440 are still lurking out there waiting to be used. I read in another forum DCX registered 440 Six Pack as a trademark recently but was unable to confirm it (it was also speculated this engine could be used for the viper... which leaves the 426 for... guess what). Its one reason I will definately NOT be picking the car up in the first couple of years, but for those who do there is no shame since you can always trade up later.:D

·
Registered
598 Posts
firstmethod said:
It all depends on whether R/T = SRT. If Dodge comes out and says R/T = SRT then you're right kiss the 6.4L goodbye until the competition forces a big HP upgrade, probably years from debut.
Assuming allpar is correct on their source, with the one engine choice,(which I have a hard time believing that dcx would be soo foolish,as they have been on a roll so far):rolleyes: ...The competition.... has already.... forced a bigger hp upgrade....now's the time for engine options.(smart business);) ...Don't wait.;)

·
Registered
89 Posts
Vanishing Point said:
Don't hold your breath, contrary what others might think;) ...because now is the time to offer several engine options(competition is already up there)......that is to say only if allpar's info is correct.;)
Actually from DCXs viewpoint its best to give you just enough horsepower to get you hooked (and be reasonably competitive... yeah possibly excluding the Shelby) and then put you on an "upgrade treadmill". DCX wants to ensure a steady revenue stream for years to come. If they offered a 392 or 426 SRT-8 version up front you'd buy it now and that would be it. If they offered them staggered across a four or six year period they could easily make three sales off the same person! They know the power mongers well, and their tactics are spot on. (I probably couldn't hold out long enough for a 426 though... dang :( ).

Believe me VP we all feel your pain. ;)

1 - 20 of 70 Posts