Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanting to get some launch tips for the r/t auto. My best 0-60 is 5.34. I have hit that a couple times but i'm still spinning quite a bit.

This is what i have been doing:

While slightly holding the brake i get RPM up to 2000 then as soon as i get to 2000 i let off the break and ease the pedal to the floor.

I have traction control off. But still spin quite a bit. I know i can get it down close to 5 sec's but gotta get rid of the spin.

My challenger is stock except for cat back exhaust.

Any help would be great.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
3,546 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Have you tried only patly turning off the ESP? Not as much fun but it might give you some more bite.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks

Yea, i guess that's what i meant. I don't shut it off all the way. I just push the ESP button. i don't hold it for the 10 sec or whatever. I have tried it but then i really spin :)

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Great, lol

After i roast these tires i will be getting some better ones.

Reactions: Spaceman1701

·
Premium Member
3,546 Posts
5.3 is really a good time so your not doing to bad. I think it's only 5.9 and with only an exhaust cutting .6 on 0-60 is real good.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yea, i would have to agree. I think 5.3 isn't to bad but i feel like i spin soooo much. Just want to see if anyone has any good tricks. I see some people on other posts are around 5.0. I want to be there before i mod it up.

·
Premium Member
3,548 Posts
You're roasting the street tires in the water box, right? Go around the water box and just roll up to the staging line. Then launch as you have been. Street tires don't much like the water box, just greases them all up.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I am in the same exact boat. Only made 4 tries, but 5.34 is the best due to tire spin. I only have a Corsa catback too. I think 5 flat will be easy if my tires stick. I got the Super track pack 20" Supercar tires. Can't really justify scrapping perfectly good tires to improve my run.
Tried all-out... Slow start then step on it... With and without traction control. Just a lot of burnout and a lot of waisted time trying to hookup.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
raVenX,

I actually haven't been to a track yet. I'm pullin the 5.34 on just a open back road. I konw i should probably find somewhere with better traction but i was just wondering if anyone set up their "launch" any different than i do??? Just wanted to see some different techniques.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
3,548 Posts
I actually haven't been to a track yet ... Just wanted to see some different techniques.
No problem. When you do get to the track, don't feel pressured into doing a burn out in the water box just because everyone else does it. Just drive around it -- unless you have some good tires mounted.

·
Premium Member
559 Posts
I don't 'race' or time my car but I remember reading on this forum that holding it to 1500 RPM and then 'rolling' on the throttle has gotten some stock folks near the magic 5.
SRT8tech does it pretty well if you want to contact him.

·
Banned
1,844 Posts
try keeping esp on, that what the guys from diablo sports recommend.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks MoparTen, I'll have to give that a try.

CruzeKing- have tried it with the ESP on but i still seem to get better times if i push the ESP button to "turn it down to 15%" or what % it shuts it off.

Thanks

·
Registered
245 Posts
Lower tire pressure if you are using RS-A tires, Brake Stand 1,500 RPM, ease into throttle to get good grip and punch it. I'm not sure what kind of tires you have but my RS-A at the track have gotten me a 1.95 60'.. Eagle F1's like on the SRT & Mopar 10' should be able to get you 1.9 or better. Good Luck hope this helps. Also I don't partial off ESP or Full off I run with ESP on.

·
Registered
754 Posts
What he said:
"Lower tire pressure if you are using RS-A tires, Brake Stand 1,500 RPM, ease into throttle to get good grip and punch it. "
Maybe go as high as 1800 rpm. 2000 is too high for a stock converter on street tires.

Also at the track, you can try staging shallow, cutting an early light and flashing the converter from idle. If you do it right, you won't redlight and between the lag and the flash you should get a good 60'.
Note: This won't really help you with your EVIC times, but will work with the track's ET timer.

Oh and go around the water box and turn the ESP OFF when racing.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Lower rear to 24 PSI I forgot to say that in my previous post, and what the guy said above me :thumbsup: leave on the third yellow to get a good reaction time

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for the advice :bigthumb:
I will give this a try.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Lots of good advice here... My two cents, some of which has been mentioned. Put 10" rims on the back and some big fat Nitto's or Mickey Thompson's. Roll out the throttle. My best times on the EVIC was with ESP ON (4.7 with street tires). Thing is, if you REALLY get your tires to hook up on the track, you're apt to break the half shafts. If you're serious about racing, change them.

Anyway, the down side to drag radials is their performance in wet weather (poor). A friend who has a 9 sec car says go with the Nitto 555 for the best all around drag radial. You can also let some air out of your street tires, some say down to 28 psi. And with street tires, yes, drive around the water, not through it (will piss off somebody behind you that's more serious).

·
Registered
342 Posts
I have the 2015 RT with STP 20" F1 eagle tires. My best 0-100km(0-60) is 5.5. Haven't hit a track yet, but i have the same issue on streets. I just sit and spin when i gas it from the light. What am i dong wrong?

http://youtu.be/ttgwejRBebk

1 - 20 of 36 Posts