Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a line lock now for my 2016 Shaker 6 speed. This summer I am hoping to take it to the track so I have been practicing some launches. I had read about engaging the line lock and hold the car for a moment or two with the clutch engaged just enough to keep the wheels from spinning, then, when the light is green release the lock, clutch and apply the gas...

Anyway, I have Been practicing this and I am sure this is not good for a clutch. I can smell it after practicing it a time or two.

I am wondering, is this the correct method for launching with a line lock and a manual? Should I be worried about my clutch? Any other recommendations on launching with a 6 speed?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
41 Posts
That doesn't sound like a good idea at all...the line lock is generally used for warming up tires/burnouts. Seems like un needed stress on the entire drivetrain (if the wheels aren't spinning), not to mention you are cheating yourself out of being able to properly launch the car the correct way.

Why not just practice launching the normal way and get good at it?

·
Registered
2019 Challenger 1320
2,236 Posts
I have a line lock now for my 2016 Shaker 6 speed. This summer I am hoping to take it to the track so I have been practicing some launches. I had read about engaging the line lock and hold the car for a moment or two with the clutch engaged just enough to keep the wheels from spinning, then, when the light is green release the lock, clutch and apply the gas...

Anyway, I have Been practicing this and I am sure this is not good for a clutch. I can smell it after practicing it a time or two.

I am wondering, is this the correct method for launching with a line lock and a manual? Should I be worried about my clutch? Any other recommendations on launching with a 6 speed?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
^^^^DO NOT DO IT THIS WAY ^^^^

The line lock is for doing burnouts before lining up (or to torque off your neighbors).

You NEVER sit still with wheels turning and clutch partially engaged; that's a great way to burn out most components of the clutch.

What you DO want to do

Just past the water box (or your neighbor's mail box), stop, engage the line lock, put car in 2nd gear but keep clutch fully engaged, rev engine up to about 3,500, then aggressivly but in controlled manner do a quick release of the clutch while pushing on gas. This is as close to a "dump" of the clutch as you'll need to do.

Why second and not first? To give you more time to control the gas before hitting rev limiter; nothing sucks more than rolling out of a burnout and up to the line only to have your car in limp(ish) mode because the computer was trying to protect your car from yourself.

Warm the tires (if drag radials/slicks) until smoke begins to appear (watch your side view mirror). You don't need to produce massive clouds of smoke; just enough to ensure tires are warm. IF YOU ARE ON STREET TIRES AT THE STRIP -- Don't bother waiting for smoke; just chirp the tires enough. Street tires don't "warm up" well due to different chemical composition of the rubber. IF YOU ARE ON THE STREET -- Knock yourself out, knowing you'll be buying new tires soon.

Once you've detected smoke, engage the clutch while releasing the line lock; roll through your burnout, up to the line...IF ON STREET -- once your neighbor comes running out with a hose (or a gun), release line lock, check for traffic, pets or small children, then get the heck out of there.

·
Registered
2019 Challenger 1320
2,236 Posts
^^^^do not do it this way ^^^^

the line lock is for doing burnouts before lining up (or to torque off your neighbors).

You never sit still with wheels turning and clutch partially engaged; that's a great way to burn out most components of the clutch.

what you do want to do

just past the water box (or your neighbor's mail box), stop, engage the line lock, put car in 2nd gear but keep clutch fully engaged, rev engine up to about 3,500, then aggressivly but in controlled manner do a quick release of the clutch while pushing on gas. This is as close to a "dump" of the clutch as you'll need to do.

Why second and not first? To give you more time to control the gas before hitting rev limiter; nothing sucks more than rolling out of a burnout and up to the line only to have your car in limp(ish) mode because the computer was trying to protect your car from yourself.

Warm the tires (if drag radials/slicks) until smoke begins to appear (watch your side view mirror). You don't need to produce massive clouds of smoke; just enough to ensure tires are warm. If you are on street tires at the strip -- don't bother waiting for smoke; just chirp the tires enough. Street tires don't "warm up" well due to different chemical composition of the rubber. If you are on the street -- knock yourself out, knowing you'll be buying new tires soon.

Once you've detected smoke, engage the clutch while releasing the line lock; roll through your burnout, up to the line...if on street -- once your neighbor comes running out with a hose (or a gun), release line lock, check for traffic, pets or small children, then get the heck out of there.
all references to doing burnouts on street for comedic purposes only....do not operate your vehicle on public streets in such a manner.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts