Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last night I ran my car(6.1 supercharged/ 6-speed) at the track for the first time. I had 28" tall slicks on the car but was having only 1.8-1.9 60' times. I tried launching everywhere between 3000-4200. Every time the engine bogged coming out of the hole. I want to believe that my car has the capability of running mid 11s, but I was only able to get low 12s out of it. Any advise on launching and any shifting techniques that anyone has found to work better would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
http://www.dragtimes
1,899 Posts
Last night I ran my car(6.1 supercharged/ 6-speed) at the track for the first time. I had 28" tall slicks on the car but was having only 1.8-1.9 60' times. I tried launching everywhere between 3000-4200. Every time the engine bogged coming out of the hole. I want to believe that my car has the capability of running mid 11s, but I was only able to get low 12s out of it. Any advise on launching and any shifting techniques that anyone has found to work better would be greatly appreciated.
What was the DA? Low 12s may not be too bad in the heat for a SC'd 6.1. SC'd 6.4 M6s are running 12.teens in the heat at the track I go to (launching and shifting soft).
How much boost are you running and are you on your stock half shafts? That will determine how hard you can launch.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
A slick will not offer any wheelspin and a 28" tire is too tall IMO for the 3.91 gear set. A 275/40/17 or a 305/35/17 is about 25.5" tall mounted and will provide better effective gearing and less bog. Either that or try a 4.56 gear. Also if you are running a 22" wheel up front it's a lot of rotational inertia. Short light skinnies up front will help too.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What was the DA? Low 12s may not be too bad in the heat for a SC'd 6.1. SC'd 6.4 M6s are running 12.teens in the heat at the track I go to (launching and shifting soft).
How much boost are you running and are you on your stock half shafts? That will determine how hard you can launch.

The car has the Drive Shaft Shop 1000hp axles on it. Im running 8 lbs of boost however, the boost doesn't come in until there is a load on the motor.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
A slick will not offer any wheelspin and a 28" tire is too tall IMO for the 3.91 gear set. A 275/40/17 or a 305/35/17 is about 25.5" tall mounted and will provide better effective gearing and less bog. Either that or try a 4.56 gear. Also if you are running a 22" wheel up front it's a lot of rotational inertia. Short light skinnies up front will help too.

thanks brother,
Do you know who offers those gear ratios for a stock rear-end? The only gears that I have been able to find only go up to 3.92.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Confirm with other sources, but I think this is the Chrysler 215 mm unit and I didn't check for availability of a 4.56 ring/pinion.

If you can't find that gear set, then I would try a shorter wheel/tire combo for the track only.

I like just a bit of wheel spin with the M6 tranny to prevent bogging. A slick which doesn't spin at all will bog and break parts unless you are running a really short gear with super stout parts.

I've run the Hoosier DOT DR 17332 315/35/17 and it's basically a slick with two rain grooves - it will spin just a little. The Hoosier 17330 275/40/17 will also work if the 315 has clearance issues (check offset on the wheel you're using). Both are about 25" tall when mounted at 17 psi and will give you about a 4.40 effective gear compared to a 28" tire.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts