Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, my 13 RT starts up really lazy. I'll get in the car in the morning and I press the start up button and it hesitates on the start up just a tad bit, it's usually just in the morning. Through out the day it's perfect, could it be the starter? If it is, would the bumper to bumper cover that? It also makes this tiny noise when starting up like a little whine.

·
Premium Member
707 Posts
I'd guess bad gasoline, or bad battery as my first suspects.

With the battery being my first guess. It is losing charge over night, then once the engine is running in the morning it is fine, fine in the afternoon when you come home, then left alone until the morning again it loses just enough charge to make starting difficult.

But there could be other suggestions from folks who might have direct experience of this issue. I haven't in my Challenger, but have in other cars.

·
Registered
310 Posts
I'd say a bad battery too. I just had the same thing happen in my Chevy Cruze. Had a bad cell in the battery causing it to not start sometimes and other times it would start just fine. It should be covered under warranty. Just make sure they do a thorough battery testing and don't send you home with it because it starts and they say nothing's wrong

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
Mine did this a month ago. The dealer changed the battery but it still had hesitation. Two days later I took it in again and they had to change the starter. My car had around 16k miles on the odo when this happened.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cool, thanks for the help guys. It doesn't need to be the dealer purchased at right? Just any Dodge dealership?

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
Cool, thanks for the help guys. It doesn't need to be the dealer purchased at right? Just any Dodge dealership?
You can take it to any dealer for warranty work as far as I know. Just make sure you pick the right one. Some members had pretty bad experience with dealers. Finding a good dealer seems to be the hardest part nowadays. But then again, if you are replacing the battery only you shouldn't be worried at all.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah, that really is hard. I just hate it cause they're careless, and always make excuses for sucking at there jobs.

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
Yeah, that really is hard. I just hate it cause they're careless, and always make excuses for sucking at there jobs.
Tell me about it! I have never picked up my car from my dealer without them messing it up some way or another. One more thing about most, (not all) dealers tend to tend you that the issue your facing is normal. "Yeah the brakes on the Challengers do have a clunk while being depressed and this is normal on all Challengers" (what happened in my case anyway) or "Ohh yeah you spun a bearing? that's pretty normal, you just have to keep using the car and do your next oil change before its scheduled interval for better lubrication. "

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hahahaha, tell them to stop lying and do their job. Yeah, I always worry about that dealer damage that comes with service there. They're so freaking dumb, it's like why employ such inefficient workers!! My brakes feel like that too, lol. What did they do for yours? Better lubrication is saved for KY Jelly. My wife had her oil change done at 4k on her 13 Accord and then on the little sticker it said next oil change due when the car hit's 6100 miles, lol. I looked at the sticker and looked at the guy like he was crazy and he didn't catch on to my facial expressions. It's sad times when a dealership sucks at selling and servicing the cars they promote.

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
Hahahaha, tell them to stop lying and do their job. Yeah, I always worry about that dealer damage that comes with service there. They're so freaking dumb, it's like why employ such inefficient workers!! My brakes feel like that too, lol. What did they do for yours? Better lubrication is saved for KY Jelly. My wife had her oil change done at 4k on her 13 Accord and then on the little sticker it said next oil change due when the car hit's 6100 miles, lol. I looked at the sticker and looked at the guy like he was crazy and he didn't catch on to my facial expressions. It's sad times when a dealership sucks at selling and servicing the cars they promote.
Honestly, the brake clunk started when the dealership "polished" my brakes at 6,000 miles to get rid of the infamous squeaking brakes. Apparently the tech didn't lubricate the brakes properly and I kept on returning for this issue. They finally did it at 12,000 miles and it came back around 5,000 miles later. I had it lubricated again and now it's back to normal without any clunking noise. I just hope it lasts this time. Having to deal with this several times has been really annoying.

·
Registered
420 Posts
my car isn't a daily driver, sometimes it goes weeks without starting, and it is very "lazy" starting...however if i start and drive today,it will be "lazy" starting, park it over night, and start and drive tomorrow, it starts right up!

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Honestly, the brake clunk started when the dealership "polished" my brakes at 6,000 miles to get rid of the infamous squeaking brakes. Apparently the tech didn't lubricate the brakes properly and I kept on returning for this issue. They finally did it at 12,000 miles and it came back around 5,000 miles later. I had it lubricated again and now it's back to normal without any clunking noise. I just hope it lasts this time. Having to deal with this several times has been really annoying.
Damn, I would be pissed. Geez, who directs these service people. It's like they don't put effort into anything. Did you get the transmission update for your car?

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
my car isn't a daily driver, sometimes it goes weeks without starting, and it is very "lazy" starting...however if i start and drive today,it will be "lazy" starting, park it over night, and start and drive tomorrow, it starts right up!
I use it about every 2 days, so maybe that's it??? I daily drive an accord to work. I don't take it to work cause it's like a 50 mile round trip. That means that usually every 2 days I'll use it and go somewhere like dinner with my lady, or some other place.

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
Damn, I would be pissed. Geez, who directs these service people. It's like they don't put effort into anything. Did you get the transmission update for your car?
Unfortunately, most service departments are this way when it comes to any warranty work being down. Remember, I said "most" but not all. There are decent ones that would go for the "extra mile" to make sure their customers are happy. I didn't get the transmission update yet, I will check with the dealer after 1800 miles when it's due for service. From what I've read, it reduces the aggressive downshift from 5th gear and makes it smoother. Have you done the upgrade to yours?

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
I use it about every 2 days, so maybe that's it??? I daily drive an accord to work. I don't take it to work cause it's like a 50 mile round trip. That means that usually every 2 days I'll use it and go somewhere like dinner with my lady, or some other place.
My R/T will complete one year as my daily driver tomorrow 5/8/2014. I have used it every single day except the days that it spent at the dealership. My battery still died on me after about 9 months. It's something about these new batteries, or maybe the fact that cars nowadays have too many accessories that keep running and drain the battery quicker than the older cars.

Change the battery, if you have hesitation while turning her on then it's the starter. That's what I went through. Of course the dealer told me the hesitation is because "the new battery needs to be charged for a while, it'll be normal in a couple of days". Imagine that, LOL.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts