Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Scat Pack
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After extensive reading I can't get a clear answer on leaded fuel and its effect on O2 sensors.

I have been told that people run c16 with zero issues, while others say that driving home from the track with the same fuel killed their sensors almost instantly.

What is your take on leaded race fuel harming sensors?

For reference, I'm trying to decide wether to run unleaded MS109 or leaded C16. If it's a matter of changing sensors once a year it's no problem, but if it's a constant ordeal, no thanks.

·
Registered
863 Posts
Glad for the question as I got to do some research for myself also!
Good luck! Here are some quotes and articles I found.

Tom.

We still hear from a few racers who use oxygen sensors with leaded race fuels in their race cars. The useful life of an oxygen sensor used with a leaded fuel is hard to predict, but one thing is certain: it will eventually fail. Some oxygen sensors can last a whole race season when used with a leaded race fuel, while others may only last one race. The useful life depends heavily on the application. Many racers running oxygen sensors and leaded fuels are able to use the oxygen sensor just for tuning purposes, then once tuning is done they’ll pull the sensor out and plug the sensor mounting bung. This is probably the best way to utilize an oxygen sensor where a leaded race fuel is required, and it ensures a much longer useable life for the sensor.

What will damage my O2 sensor?

• Home or professional auto repairs that have used silicone gasket sealer that is not specifically labeled "Oxygen sensor safe", "Sensor safe", or something similar, if used in an area that is connected to the crankcase. This includes valve covers, oil pan, or nearly any other gasket or seal that controls engine oil. Leaded fuel will ruin the O2 sensor in a short time. If a car is running rich over a long period, the sensor may become plugged up or even destroyed. Just shorting out the sensor output wire will not usually hurt the sensor. This simply grounds the output voltage to zero. Once the wiring is repaired, the circuit operates normally. Undercoating, antifreeze or oil on the *outside* surface of the sensor can kill it. See how does an Oxygen sensor work.

WARNING: The cost of running leaded race fuel - PencilGeek's BMW Blog

Reactions: boostedscatpack
1 - 2 of 2 Posts