Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2011 SXT Built in the Canada Plant
2,560 Posts
First what year and Model Challenger, 2nd are you looking at upper or lower hose, next since its leaking that means you will need to add the proper spec Coolant
and Bleed the Air out.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
2012 challenger srt8. It’s below and the hose connects next to the oil filter

What are some things that I need to know before I change how long will it take, what are the stops and should I just replace all the hoses now

·
Registered
2011 SXT Built in the Canada Plant
2,560 Posts
Probably best to let a good shop replace them because you need to bleed air out of the system and fill with Mopar Spec Antifreeze
since a 2012 wouldn't also hurt to get new thermostat assembly as well.

·
Registered
Furious Fuchsia 2010 Challenger R/T Classic A5
629 Posts
Horrible pic and any point of reference! But at the bottom of the image it looks like the oil pan and to the left the oil filter...so it's one of the smaller coolant hoses that go to the finned engine oil cooler that's between the block and filter. Regarding those smaller coolant lines, one goes up to the water pump housing and the other over to a T in the larger hose of the lower coolant return line.

·
Premium Member
The Bacon Hauler (‘12 Cop Charger)
9,677 Posts
Which radiator hose is this and where can I buy it. Is it pretty easy to install ? Just remove and put new one in?
View attachment 1031561
That is one of the two oil cooler hoses, hard to discern which one from the pic, but it is shouldn’t be too difficult to replace assuming the hose clamps are accessible enough to get at with your tool of choice (pliers, hose clamp tool, etc.).

You can buy the replacement at any dealership parts counter or possibly even the local Autozone, O’Reilly, NAPA, etc. Just make sure to ascertain which of the two oil cooler hoses it is and get the correct replacement.

Before buying and replacing that hose, have you made sure that the hose is faulty and needs replacement?

If that hose is the one that connects to the plastic T in the middle of the lower radiator hose, there’s a good chance the plastic T is what needs replacement and not the hose.

If that is the case, you will have to order/buy the part from a dealership parts dept, or at least that was the case when I had to replace mine a few years back. No local parts store carried them for whatever reason.

Reactions: F8HemiRT

·
Premium Member
The Bacon Hauler (‘12 Cop Charger)
9,677 Posts
No matter which part you replace in the cooling system, you’ll have to drain it and refill it obviously, but the last part of the refill process is to purge the system of any trapped air to make sure it’s completely full of coolant (and not coolant plus a big air pocket).

Drain it by opening the valve on the lower right corner of the radiator and then pulling the reservoir cap off (leaving the cap on slows the drain to a trickle; pulling it off allows valve to flow fully while draining).

Refill through the reservoir like you would any other engine with a similar setup, and finish up with the air purge and final top off. Skip to 2:25 in this video for a quick and dirty air purge method you can use in the absence of specialized equipment meant specifically for this job:

Reactions: mopardude9

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
4,297 Posts
2012 challenger srt8. It’s below and the hose connects next to the oil filter

What are some things that I need to know before I change how long will it take, what are the stops and should I just replace all the hoses now
If the hose is bad you really should replace all hoses. Or you could be dealing with one leaking hose after another until all end get replaced.

Unless the coolant is reasonably fresh -- and I suspect it is "original" and thus not fresh -- first you need to drain all the coolant out of radiator/engine/hoses/etc. Replace the hoses. Then if the coolant was original factory fill I'd consider using a flushing fluid -- check with your local dealer service/parts departments to learn which one the techs use -- to flush the cooling system before refilling it with fresh coolant. Be sure you use the coolant recommended for your car. And be sure if you do this at home on your driveway you can completely fill the cooling system with no air pockets. Ideally a vacuum lift system is best to ensure a completely filled cooling system. I loathe the put in as much coolant as one can then run the engine to temperature then shut off let cool top off the cooling system then repeat.

For cars that had a cooling system that had a tendency to develop air pockets when trying to rely upon gravity alone to refill the cooling system I had these cars their cooling systems serviced at the local dealer. There the techs used a vacuum lift system. Every time I got the car back after just a coolant change (done every 4 years) or a new water pump or after having one or more (one time all 3) radiators replaced not once did the cooling system have any air pockets.

·
Super Moderator
17,323 Posts
on a '12 392 - that's the lower radiator hose, which has one of the oil cooler water lines incorporated into the hose - its a single assembly.

Its a bit of job - access is tight and I highly recommend hose clamp pliers - this work would be done from underneath.
-it would be a PITA to try and remove / install that hose clamp from the bottom neck of the water pump!

part #
Bicycle part Bicycle handlebar Bicycle fork Auto part Pipe
5039042AG

1 - 9 of 9 Posts