Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
"ARTIE" is a Black 2016 R/T+ with Super Track Pack, 6 speed, Ruby Red Interior
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
PART#2: Learn to drive manual in my R/T

My 32 years old colleague Dave never drove a manual transmission car in his life and he's looking to purchase a sport car!
So before he head's out to the dealer an get a automatic, I've decided to let him drive my 6 speed Manual Challenger R/T so he can't make a more informed decision about the pleasure of driving stick shift!
Hold tight! This is a funny ride... he learns to drive the hard way in moon's traffic!
Check it out:

Part 2 from HERO to ZERO:
In this second part of the Learn How to Drive Stick Shift with Dave the self proclaimed Rookie of the year, he tries to returns to the office in an array of fails, stals and jokes!
And because of this, we had to rename this video: How NOT to Drive Stick Shift. The fall from hero to zero.
Get your popcorn ready, this one is a 25 minutes long ride aboard with a rookie behind the wheel of ARTIE the 400+hp HEMi.
Hope you'll enjoy, we sure did making it!
Check out Part 2:
Yes, this is it folks!
Dave finally bought his dream sport car or did he?
Check out this series finale!
PART#3:

So guys, which car did you learn to drive stick shift in?

·
Super Moderator
16,216 Posts
'63 Dodge D-100 pickup (long bed)
-manual brakes
-manual steering
-8 ply bias ply tires
-3 "on the tree" manual
-318-2bbl poly head

Dad turned me loose and I spent the day by myself learning how to drive that beast.

Thankfully, those old trucks had hydraulic clutches, so the pedal effort was lighter than the mechanical linkage style clutch actuation.

Reactions: Mikamaro

·
Registered
2014 SRT Core
10,042 Posts
Don't remember exactly what I leaned on but one of my first manual vehicles was a 1970 Ford Torino with a 351 Cleveland and a four speed. Around the same time we had a few old manual trans trucks so I'm sure I learned on a combo of those.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Back in the 70's on a sixties vintage VW bug. About as bare bones as you can get. But glad I learned. I've had automatics before but for the Challenger the manual was one of the non-negotiable must have items with the dealer.:burnout:

·
Premium Member
2,874 Posts
MMy 32 years old colleague Dave never drove a manual transmission car in his life and he's looking to purchase a sport car!
So before he head's out to the dealer an get a automatic, I've decided to let him drive my 6 speed Manual Challenger R/T so he can't make a more informed decision about the pleasure of driving stick shift!
Hold tight! This is a funny ride... he learns to drive the hard way in moon's traffic!

Check it out: https://youtu.be/gwvUSCfITRM

PART2: Coming back to the office is hillarious...will upload it soon.

So which car did you learn to drive stick shift in?
The meat delivery truck at in the Stock Yards in Chicago. I was 14 and the local police truly only wanted a piece of meat.
(If and when I got caught)

·
Registered
"ARTIE" is a Black 2016 R/T+ with Super Track Pack, 6 speed, Ruby Red Interior
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Those are great stories guys!! Keep them coming

·
Registered
193 Posts
I taught 2 teenagers the art of driving a manual transmission with my old '10 Challenger R/T. Actually a great car to teach someone to drive a manual with. Easy shifting trans and nice clutch action coupled with the very forgiving 5.7 hemi. Only hiccup was the stupid skip shift.

·
Premium Member
581 Posts
I learned to drive a manual in a 1957 Oldsmobile Rocket 88 J2 3 2 barrel carbs and 3 on the tree. I bought it in 1978 drove it to high school my last 2 years and I just pulled the engine and trans. the good running 371ci J2 engine will go into my brothers 57 Super88 convertible while his original engine gets a rebuild. I am putting a 394ci Rocket engine out of a 59 Super88 convertible my dad drove in the 70's that had a rare manual transmission less than 2% of Oldsmobile's built in 59 were manual. It was a 3 on the tree too but he put in a B/W T10 close ratio 4spd out of a wrecked 67 Corvette. I will be using the whole drive train in my 88 as my 3spd is worn out and needs rebuilt. This is my brother's conv. and my 88 coupe and my 371ci J2 and the 59 394ci engine that will be going in to my 57 88.

Attachments

·
Registered
272 Posts
I taught 2 teenagers the art of driving a manual transmission with my old '10 Challenger R/T. Actually a great car to teach someone to drive a manual with. Easy shifting trans and nice clutch action coupled with the very forgiving 5.7 hemi. Only hiccup was the stupid skip shift.
"my old '10 Challenger R/T" Geez, are our Challengers that old already? How do you think that makes my Challenger feel, I have a 2009 Challenger R/T 6 speed and it still feels new to me, heh,heh.

·
Banned
2016 R/T Scat Pack
3,889 Posts
Learned on a motorcyle, then on the 500.

I don't like manual and fail to understand what pleasure everyone seems to find in it.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
20,694 Posts
74 Datsun pickup. Red with black stripes, black brush guard, black roll bar with rectangular KC Highlites, "mag" wheels, and glasspacks. Pretty cool first car to drive, It was my Dad's. Much like learning to ride a 2 wheel bike, it wasn't working until he took me to a nice flat area, lol. A Guy

·
Super Moderator
16,216 Posts
Learned on a motorcyle, then on the 500.

I don't like manual and fail to understand what pleasure everyone seems to find in it.
I look at it like this:

-I wanted to learn how to drive a manual.

My dad had VW Beetles when we were in German (Army brat here) and they were manuals. Dad got a used Dodge pickup ('63) that was manual.

For work, I drove box trucks and bobtails that were manual and if I wanted to ride a motorcycle, those are manual transmissions.

When I was growing up, the imports were coming over in force - the better performing, higher MPG models were the manuals transmissions. The 65-75hp imports with automatics were complete dogs for acceleration, plus they weren't all that durable. Many new cars had choices of both stick or automatic as well.

Nowadays majority of transmissions are automatics, so most drivers are only familiar with those.

I contrast to the kids of guys I know that are reaching the age when they could get their driver's licenses...many don't have any interest, believing that they can ride their bicycle or take transit to work.
What if you have to travel for your work? And they never learned to drive, much less if they're overseas, where manuals are still commonly found?
-one of my friends has a daughter in her mid 20s, and this is the very situation.

That's the generation that probably can't drive (or think they won't ever need to learn...) and couldn't drive a manual on top of that. So much for life skills.

Reactions: silver scat

·
Banned
2016 R/T Scat Pack
3,889 Posts
I look at it like this:

My dad had VW Beetles when we were in German (Army brat here) and they were manuals. Dad got a used Dodge pickup ('63) that was manual.

For work, I drove box trucks and bobtails that were manual and if I wanted to ride a motorcycle, those are manual transmissions.

When I was growing up, the imports were coming over in force - the better performing, higher MPG models were the manuals transmissions. The 65-75hp imports with automatics were complete dogs for acceleration, plus they weren't all that durable. Many new cars had choices of both stick or automatic as well.

Nowadays majority of transmissions are automatics, so most drivers are only familiar with those.

I contrast to the kids of guys I know that are reaching the age when they could get their driver's licenses...many don't have any interest, believing that they can ride their bicycle or take transit to work.
What if you have to travel for your work? And they never learned to drive, much less if they're overseas, where manuals are still commonly found?
-one of my friends has a daughter in her mid 20s, and this is the very situation.

That's the generation that probably can't drive (or think they won't ever need to learn...) and couldn't drive a manual on top of that. So much for life skills.
Well, the key difference is I know how, but didn't care for it.

I like learning new things and I know why manuals were superior back in the day, but I wouldn't buy a manual challenger.

I also wouldn't buy an automatic Abarth.

EDIT: Never say never, though. If I ever got a classic mopar, I'd drive it manual.

·
Premium Member
2,874 Posts
I look at it like this:

AMEN! We wanted to drive a manual. I forgot I also was taught when 13 then put on a honda 350 and told get going!
Answer to my life's prayers to that point. 2 wheels and shifting!!! Wanted to race!!!! With a stick.
Favorite car, 69 Z-28. Muncie 4 speed only. The only way to drive that car. So, I too do not get today's kids. Well actually I think I do, just think they are missing out on so much. They have rectangled devices, we had.......... you choose! We are dinosaurs.

·
Super Moderator
16,216 Posts
EDIT: Never say never, though. If I ever got a classic mopar, I'd drive it manual.
The 3 speed automatics = suck. They gave the definition to "slush box" we had these things through the 80s.

I got to drive a '73 Roadrunner that was 400 / 4-speed [Mopars had Hurst shifters w/ Gunslinger handles through '74] - mine was an automatic.
-from that point on, I always wanted a 4-speed Mopar.

Thankfully the Slap-Stik automatic shifter was a great design to shifting it manually. ['70-'74 E-body, '71-'74 B-body used these if you had the automatic / console option]

Reactions: silver scat

·
Premium Member
2,610 Posts
I loved the videos! Thanks for posting.

You are one patient teacher too.

·
Super Moderator
16,216 Posts
Mike - have you tried to teach your wife (if she doesn't already) drive a manual?

This reminds me of teaching my cousin to drive her step dad's (then new) '78 Toyota Corolla 5-speed back in the day. [I was in my Junior / Senior year in high school back then]

There wasn't much torque with that engine, so it wasn't as forgiving. But my cousin got into it and continued to drive 'stick transmissions.

BTW - I had my car in B.C. (Vancouver Island) and I noticed the speed limits even on highways were low...is that the same in Quebec Province as well?
-really had to pay attention to not speed [didn't want to get attention with having US plates]

But, as you know - when you've been driving stick for a long time...it's second nature almost like breathing or walking. You just do it and don't even think about it.

·
Registered
366 Posts
I'd been riding dirt bikes for a couple of years, but the first 'car' I drove with a stick was in 1970, Dad had a 1953 Willy's Overlander with a transplanted Studebaker 289, 3 speed on the floor, with 4-wheel hi/low and a PTO winch, it looked like an octopus was growing out of the floor...

1 - 20 of 45 Posts